Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #1

Horz LP tanks, older TC

I have an older (1988) truck camper with two 20# horizontal tanks. Quite often I get grief from LP suppliers when I need them filled. This is a two-fold question...

One, the tanks have 'round' handles, an indication that they are NOT the newer anti-overfill valves. Read once that the horz tanks are 'exempt' from this requirement. Most LP dealers are not aware of this but fill the tanks anyway. Anyone know for sure?

My second question concerns the proper tank position when filling,... vertical or horizontal? I understand when USING the tanks that they MUST be in the HORIZONTAL POSITION because of the tube inside the tank being at the top above the liquid during use. But during 'filling', is that little bleeder valve allow pressure to escape at the valve? Or does it have a tube to the top of the tank while in the horz position also?
Thanks
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The issue of the pump jockies giving you grief I can't comment on but if they are removable tanks as opposed to bolted in place. That is the deciding factor, not upright or lying down.

As to filling them.. They fill in the same position they are used in.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #3

Yes, they are removable.
The bleed screw on the valve has a tube in it then? So the tank HAS to be filled while in the horz position?
GWinger
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

No the tanks can be filled while vertical - no difference. You can replace only the valve assembly to meet the new requirements and not the entire tank.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

those tanks have to be reinspected i can not remember if it is every 5, 7 or 10 years you go to a propane distributor in our area there are many, a lot of homes have propane gas for furnaces or hot water heaters, the first time the guy just took the info and put the recertification sticker on the next time it cost ten dollars to put the valve in the tanks the places that sell propane as a secondary market usually do not know what you are talking about when you ask them
devildog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
No the tanks can be filled while vertical - no difference. You can replace only the valve assembly to meet the new requirements and not the entire tank.
There are no OPD valves for horz tanks. And to be filled properly they MUST be in the horz position to be able to get the 80% fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1971 View Post
those tanks have to be reinspected i can not remember if it is every 5, 7 or 10 years you go to a propane distributor in our area there are many, a lot of homes have propane gas for furnaces or hot water heaters, the first time the guy just took the info and put the recertification sticker on the next time it cost ten dollars to put the valve in the tanks the places that sell propane as a secondary market usually do not know what you are talking about when you ask them
The question has nothing to to with the 're-inspection' requirement.
The re-inspection isn't the problem. If the propane dealer is aware of the exemption of horz tanks for the OPD valve, that is. You are right, some or most propane dealers don't properly train their employees that deal with the public.
GWinger
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

I have two horizontal tanks with my Lance camper and I fill them at the local store and they are filled while sitting vertically on the ground and the necessary amount of propane goes into the tank which I can determine by watching the fuel gauge on the big tank. Must be magic.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

By the way my factory installed horizontal LPG tanks have triangular valve handles that are stamped OPD. The OPD valves with their floats to cut-off the fill at 80% will only work if the tank is vertical. while it is being filled. Filling the tank with it horizontal defeats the purpose of the float. Think of a toilet tank flapper valve working with the tank lying on its back as the tank is filled with water - in this position it will never shut off.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
By the way my factory installed horizontal LPG tanks have triangular valve handles that are stamped OPD. The OPD valves with their floats to cut-off the fill at 80% will only work if the tank is vertical. while it is being filled. Filling the tank with it horizontal defeats the purpose of the float. Think of a toilet tank flapper valve working with the tank lying on its back as the tank is filled with water - in this position it will never shut off.
In your case scenario, Right you are.
I have the older non-OPD valves on my horz tanks. OPD's for them weren't available back when the OPD law was made. Perhaps now they will change it again to include horz tanks.
GWinger