Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

How long did it take to find the perfect camper?

I have been looking for an Arctic Fox 990 for a few months and have only looked at one so far. It was pretty rough so passed on it. I found one without a gen and air so passed on that. Another was a 2010 but the guy thought it was worth $30,000. Not. I would love to buy new but the sticker shock is just too much for us.

How long did you take to find your gem? I have placed a "Wanted" ad in the local on line RV sections in my area of Vancouver Island. I would be willing to travel to find the right one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm not sure there is "perfect" out there. There's close enough - which is where we are right now & that took us 6 years.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefor2 View Post
I have been looking for an Arctic Fox 990 for a few months and have only looked at one so far. It was pretty rough so passed on it. I found one without a gen and air so passed on that. Another was a 2010 but the guy thought it was worth $30,000. Not. I would love to buy new but the sticker shock is just too much for us.

How long did you take to find your gem? I have placed a "Wanted" ad in the local on line RV sections in my area of Vancouver Island. I would be willing to travel to find the right one.
At $30,000. You are pretty close to a new AF 990 later in the year. When dealers want make room to get the next years models in. Even better a left over AF 990 from the previous year. Just takes some time in the end to find the right 990 for you, you'll know. Best of luck in you search,
Scott
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #4

RVs For Sale On RV Trader- New and Used Fleetwood,Airstream,Winnebago,Keystone,Forest River,Newmar RVs and More-RVTrader.com
Try RV Trader. Its lists all types of RV's I just check the AF 990 and there are 27 of them for sale. But a lots of them are 2014's. Some are older and you can see the different prices. I just selected Truck campers and found Northwood Mfg and selected 990. They are all over the western US.
Best of luck, Scott
Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Started RV'ing in 1957, I'm STILL looking for that "perfect" one!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If I'd ever found the "perfect" truck camper I would probably still have one (it).

Now I have a bigger box. Still not perfect but pretty nice.

BTW, DW and I really liked the 08 AF990 we had. You probably will too.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

Found it.

I agree there is no "perfect camper" but I found what I think will be great. I bought a 2007 Arctic Fox 990 that was owned by a fussy perfectionist. It was kept in a garage and used very little. Picking it up this week and then heading for the sunny south after Christmas for 3 or 4 months. I can hardly wait.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
I agree there is no "perfect camper" but I found what I think will be great. I bought a 2007 Arctic Fox 990 that was owned by a fussy perfectionist. It was kept in a garage and used very little. Picking it up this week and then heading for the sunny south after Christmas for 3 or 4 months. I can hardly wait.
Congratulations, on your find. Great news on the AF 990. Best of luck with your TC. Pictures would be nice to see.
Scott
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Congrats on the 990, I'm sure U will enjoy it. I have the 2012 , 990 and really enjoy it. This summer we spent 125 nights in it, 12,000 miles. We have it on. 2012 F 350 dually, gvw of 13,300 lbs.first had it on a 2008 F 350 , single wheel with a gvw of 11,400 lbs . Was legal but found it restricted what I carried. I also now have the Firestone air bags in and keep 70 lbs in them, helps on rough roads. Having a problem with the slide but in the process of getting it fixed.
Would like to get south in Jan, Feb , where is a good but reasonable place to go. Any ideas would help . We are now on the BC/ Washington border, small town called Osoyoos.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #10

Osoyoos is one of my favourite places. A lot of fond memories of swimming there as a kid on our summer holidays. It's on our list of places to visit this summer as we tour BC.

We love to wander Arizona and stay in the southern area for the warm weather. Some places I suggest seeing: Jerome (official ghost town), Lake Havasu/Parker area, Tombstone, Oatman (another ghost town on route 66), Bisbee, and others I can't think of. We are not into big towns and avoid Phoenix and anything big and busy.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #11

Used to live in Victoria on the Island but ce to Osoyoos to retire
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #12

[QUOTE="cactus flats;1816434"]Used to live in Victoria on the Island but came to Osoyoos to retire. This summer went to the East Coast then headed West, from Chicago on we followed old Route 66, to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, then North thru Utah. Loved the scenery. The 990 worked well, air cond. furnace, all good. TV is good but last thing on our things to do.
We keep the camper and truck in a large heated garage, what part of B.C. are U planning to visit next summer ?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #13

[QUOTE="cactus flats;1816434"]Used to live in Victoria on the Island but moved to Osoyoos to retire. Great places to camp here if U come this way in the summer. We are not sure of plans for 2014 , so many choices . We keep the 990 in a large heated garage so it gets babied all winter. Have slide issues now, waiting for a drive part to come to complete the repair. Warranty is covering this , so that helps.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't limit yourself to 1 model/make/style or type of RV> We were looking at 5th Whl for full timing in, and had it narrowed down to a short list of 3 mfgrs. The we saw the MH in my signature and fell in love with it and know as soon as we walked into it that this was the unit for us.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote