Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #15

The GC-2 option will not work. They are too tall. Plus, even if I could get them to fit, the AGM "True Deep Cycle" version of those batteries cost $350.00 ex. That would be $700.00 to "upgrade" my batteries from 180 AH capacity to 230 AH capacity. That is only a 40 AH improvement for $700.00. I can just buy food with the $700.00 in Alaska.

My batteries are "True Deep Cycle" AGM batteries. So, I won't have to worry too much about discharging them. I guess I'll just stick to my plan. Start with the fridge very cold. Turn off when loaded on the ferry. Turn on (DC) at the 1st "pet visit". Turn off at the 2nd "pet visit", repeat.

Thanks everyone for the input/advice/suggestions.

I'll keep following in case anyone has any more suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bhoffman,
The thing everyone is forgetting that the amount of time to drain the batteries is if the fridge is operating the entire time. Without opening the door, and starting out cold, the temp of the fridge will remain constant with very little running time especially in relatively cool weather(60 to 70*). So I would say don't worry, enjoy your travels and post some wonderful pictures that you will get on your trip.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Bhoffman,
The thing everyone is forgetting that the amount of time to drain the batteries is if the fridge is operating the entire time. Without opening the door, and starting out cold, the temp of the fridge will remain constant with very little running time especially in relatively cool weather(60 to 70*). So I would say don't worry, enjoy your travels and post some wonderful pictures that you will get on your trip.
Frank
Thanks Frank.

I just filled the fridge and freezer up with jugs of water. After everything is frozen, I will cover up the solar panel and unplug the camper and time how long it will run. I'll be monitoring battery charge level and try to not let it get all the way discharged.

Taking my Canon EOS 6D, a bunch of lenses (nice thing about traveling in a truck/camper), My Canon G16, and my Canon A1 film camera. Yea, I plan on taking a TON of pictures (I have over 380 GB of memory cards and a 2TB external hard drive to back everything up nightly).

One highlite of the trip, driving up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse/Prudogh Bay to jumpp into the Arctic Ocean and join "The Polar Bear Club" on June 21, 2015 (summer solstace) and experience 24 hours of daylight.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Bhoffman,
That sounds like a good plan, let us know how it goes. Also note the ambient temp and whether the camper is in direct sunlight or shade or after dark.
Frank
Old 12-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #19

IMO, if your budget is so marginal that you can't afford to buy food when you get to your destination, maybe you should reconsider going there.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
IMO, if your budget is so marginal that you can't afford to buy food when you get to your destination, maybe you should reconsider going there.
Destinations, (more than one. 7 to be exact), not a matter of not being able to afford. Just don't want to be wasteful (throw away food) and want the convienance of being stocked up, if possible.

Heck, I could just fly there, stay in hotels, and eat in restaurants. But, where is the adventure in that.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Your refer will probably shut down well before the batteries are dead. I ordered a new Arctic Fox in 08 with a 3 way fridge. The first time I left the thing on 12V it took less than three hours for the two group 27 batteries to go below the threshold for the "Low DC" warning and the fridge shutdown.

If you have room a BIG cooler with ice or maybe dry ice. You can always sell the cooler when back home.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #22

Ran the test for 12 hours.

Battery status went into the yellow (fair) at the 11 hour point.

Looks like a 9 hr 15 min ferry ride won't be a problem.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoffman View Post
Ran the test for 12 hours.

Battery status went into the yellow (fair) at the 11 hour point.

Looks like a 9 hr 15 min ferry ride won't be a problem.
Interesting. And this is just the time before the battery gets too low. You should also have a few hours before the refer starts to warm up. So, as you say, you are golden. Great test. Do enjoy your trip.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Bhoffman,
Glad that it will work out for you. That's one less thing to worry about so you will be able to enjoy your experience.
Frank
Old 12-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #25

If your freezer is packed with frozen meats it would take days for it to warm enough to be a problem. A couple cold packs tucked away in the refrigerator part add a outdoor temperature sensor for a lacrosse clock so you can check temperature without opening the door you probably won't need to run it at all. Don't forget to put a fan inside the refrigerator if your going to fill it with food absorbsion refers don't circulate air like residential units do. Sounds like a fun trip enjoy.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoffman View Post
Thanks Frank.

I just filled the fridge and freezer up with jugs of water. After everything is frozen, I will cover up the solar panel and unplug the camper and time how long it will run. I'll be monitoring battery charge level and try to not let it get all the way discharged.

Taking my Canon EOS 6D, a bunch of lenses (nice thing about traveling in a truck/camper), My Canon G16, and my Canon A1 film camera. Yea, I plan on taking a TON of pictures (I have over 380 GB of memory cards and a 2TB external hard drive to back everything up nightly).

One highlite of the trip, driving up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse/Prudogh Bay to jumpp into the Arctic Ocean and join "The Polar Bear Club" on June 21, 2015 (summer solstace) and experience 24 hours of daylight.

Hope you realize the only way to the water will be by bus ride. No camper to run to after the dip.

I use a Kill A Watt meter to measure electrical use over say a week. It will give you total kilowatt hrs accummulated which will allow you to accurately determine how much electrical energy used per day. Works with 110 volts. Plug into outlet and plug refrigerator into unit.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #27

I am a little suprized by the 15 amp dc figure, as the last time I checked, the DC heating elements were about 8 amps on the Dometic three-way units. If you are able to go 9 hours, on those batts of yours then the heating element is not drawing 15 amps, or is cycling quite a bit.

I would love to know how much the frig is really drawing on 12 volt.

My current 2005 Bigfoot has a two way frig and I want to see what size inverter I can use is I need to run it off 12 volt if necessary.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post

Cmon, that was not helpful at all and it was isinteresting post. Provide information or consider not posting