Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #1

I'm picking up a used slide in camper on Mondat, 5/15 for my 2002 Ford F150. THe camper has Pollak 6 pin connnectors. Where do I wire the truck for connecting clearance lights and the camper's battery? I'm especially interersted in running the wiore for the charging circuit. The camper battery already has an isolator.

I'm a newbie on this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #2

I'm picking up a used slide in camper on Mondat, 5/15 for my 2002 Ford F150. THe camper has Pollak 6 pin connnectors. Where do I wire the truck for connecting clearance lights and the camper's battery? I'm especially interersted in running the wiore for the charging circuit. The camper battery already has an isolator.

I'm a newbie on this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had my wiring done by a camper dealer. They had a remote set of wires to check it all. They were done in about 20 minutes. Try a trailer dealer see if they can help or do the job for a small fee.
Chet

p.s. Welcome to the site!
Lots of good folks here with a lot of information and experience.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome and info. I may very well folow your suggestion.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #5

Are you sure it has a 6pin and not a 7pin? If I remember correctly, the standard 6pin doesn't have charging which is why there's a 7pin. The 7pin is standard for RV's. Check this website for pinouts:
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

With that said, I bought a 7pin connector with wire bundle attached and installed it in the left side of my truck bed interior just forward of the wheelwell. I just drilled a hole and mounted the connector and then spliced the wires into the truck wiring harness.

Another option is to make an extension cable and just plug into your factory trailer connectors and lay the wire bundle in your bed next to the camper.

Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. The seller described it as a 6 pin, as did the dealer who sold it to him. I'll verify on Monday when I pick up the camper, and go from there.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:32 AM   #7

It may well be a six pin, L blinker, R blinker, Backup, ground (-12V), Charge (+12V), Running lights, the seven pin also contains a wire for brake control on trailers with brakes that is not needed when hooking up a slide in camper. My connector on the camper itself is only six pin. I use a seven on the other end of the pigtail to the truck as I have wired in a seven pin socket in the bed of the truck to connect to. Just didn't wire the brake controler to this socket, all other pins are wired to the standard pin location on the seven pin. Just need to know which wire goes were on the camper end to go from seven pin to six. Or use the same connector on both end wired the same and mount a matching six pin socket to plug into in the bed.

For the charging, I ran a heay gauge wire from the truck battery to a continous duty selenoid then to the +12V pin of the seven pin socket in the bed. Wired the selenoid to a Key on/off circuit to charge with the key on and isolate when the key is off.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment with a local camper service center to have the wiring done..
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #9

Thanks to all for replying to my post. I went to the local U-Haul outlet to get the wiring done. The fellow there took one look at the tow package on my truck, that includes a 7-way connector. He sold me an adapter for $16.00 including tax. I made a new pigtail using the 6 way female plugs I already had, and voila! I'm in business. BTW, the hookup on this camnper uses only three wires - one ground, one for clearance lights, and one for charging the camper's battery. My hat's off the the U-Haul shop on Atlantic Bl. in Jacksonville Beach, FL. The man could have done a wiring job and charged me much more than the price of the adapter and 15 feet of wire (times three).