Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

I could use some help on new truck options

Friends..It is my goal to be up and running with a new truck and camper for next summer. I am working on specking out a new GMC 3500 dually diesel crew cab long bed. I am either going to try and find a left over 2013 or wait a few more months to order a 2015.
My questions for you experienced TC brethren is as follows...Are they worth it or not for a truck that will be primarily a TC hauler? I want to do it once and do it right. How or why would you justify the following options?

Snow Plow Package $495. I am not going to plow snow but it equips the tuck with a heavier front axle.

Auxiliary Heavy Duty Battery $135.

160 Amp Alternator $75 -

Dual Alternators $270. -

High Idle Switch $200 -

Power Sliding Rear Window $250

Thanks in advance for all your help. Can't wait till next summer!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #2

How many forums are you posting this on?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #3

Thanks Roy for the help..I appreciate it..
Old 10-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

How much weight rating do you gain on the front axle? I would assume this package would add some weight to the truck. Does your resulting payload (GVWR - truck weight) go up or down with the snow plow prep?
I would think a diesel would already have 2 batteries so theirs no reason for that option. I would upgrade the alternator if the diesel doesn't already have that. Dual alternators would be good if you plan on running a lot of truck accessories and recharging a large, deeply discharged camper battery bank.
If you're planning aftermarket stereo, 2 way radio, off road lights, air compressor, etc. Then I'd get the dual alt. If you won't be adding many electrical accessories I think 160 amp should be fine.
Sliding rear window? I'd pass just because it's something else to leak and/or break. If I remember correctly the whole window goes down so it's not compatible with trying to have a pass thru into a camper anyway.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

Yep KD- good questions I need to get to the dealer and get answered.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The high idle switch would be a great idea. My Dodge pickup has a similar feature that's computer controlled.

My Holiday Rambler MH has a two stage high idle plus a user controlled, adjustable high idle. Great feature for getting the engine warmed up faster.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, I added Torklift Stable Loads to my Dodge dually for hauling my Arctic Fox camper. They really made a big difference for rear stability.

I don't know which model would fit your truck. These fit my Dodge.

Torklift Stable Load Contact Overload Rubber Bumper Spring Pads For Dodge and Ford Pickup Trucks
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Hard to believe, but not all 3500 Duallys come with the heavy duty tow package (usually includes brake controller, better radiator, sometimes engine oil and extra transmission coolers). Also look into a "camper package". On my previous TV (F350 Ford) the camper package included everything in the heavy duty towing package with the addition of front and rear sway bars. The rear bar will help with controlling a heavy 5th wheel. The snow plow prep package may also include cold weather niceties like heated mirrors, engine block and battery heaters.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #9

thanks everyone. guess we will see what the 2015's have to offer.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #10

Limited slip differential would be one thing I would want. Getting stuck in the boonies would not be fun. I would also pass on the power sliding window. Mine is manual but I rarely use it as I have a sunroof.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #11

Tow/haul package, upfitter switches, Class V hitch, Truck Camper package, frame mounted tie downs, Fast Gun Turnbuckles w/locks, E or higher rated tires. Check the sidewall of the tire for weight capacity. Long bed truck 8 ft type. Rubber mat for between the camper and p/u bed.
Ben