Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #15

Errr Jack & Maggie, things have moved on a little since 1999. 2013 now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee
Errr Jack & Maggie, things have moved on a little since 1999. 2013 now.
Tony....is there something in particular that I've misrepresented. To be fair my experience is from living in the Baja (Cabo) from 1999 to 2010. Our driving was either Mex.01 or the road from Mazatlan to Nogales.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #17

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Special Exemptions on 2013 Trekoftheamericas Trip

I just received my confirmation on the July departure of the Pan American trip, and the group is permitting one towed trailer, and also one over 30` motorhome. This I am told, is to limit the overall physical ''size'' of the trek for the camps. I myself am traveling via diesel F250 w/Lance camper.
The fuel prices average about 3.90 us gal., except Ecuador, where it is only $1.04 per gallon.
If you are fmca,GoodSam,and with the early registration they give a $1500 disc...but you have to ask for this.
SoAmerRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Sure would like to spend next winter in Costa Rica, what would be the best and safer road to get there ? You said the best traveling would be with camper truck class b and c but what about my 29 fts 5ers would it do the job ? Thanks for the thread, very helpful
Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #19

Travel Pan American Hwy to COSTA RICA...!

The 29` is no problem from North America to Panama. The smaller rv is advised from Panama south to South America, because of the shipping. Just 15 km, north of San Jose, is the Been Trailer Park, operated by an American, great place to winter, and they have. "Winter Costa Ricans" rates.

There is a road log, similar to the Alaskan Milepost, called Trekamericas Trek log, that gives a mile by mile routing from Texas to Argentina, we have found this most helpful. Enjoy your travels! We sure have.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmerRVer
There is a road log, similar to the Alaskan Milepost, called Trekamericas Trek log, that gives a mile by mile routing from Texas to Argentina, we have found this most helpful. Enjoy your travels! We sure have.
Just curious.....no one has discussed the availability of ULSD in Mexico & Latin America. Is this still a problem or is it now readily available at all diesel stations? How about DEF? Does the Trekamericas log/note this availability and the locations on route? What about vehicle insurance? Can you purchase insurance at all the border crossings as you leave one country and enter another? Is it readily available for all types of recreational vehicles?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #21

The informtion might be a bit out of date now, but there's a guy who writes a blog on the Seattle Post Intelligencer web-site, called Jim Jaillet, who did a trip like you want to do about 10 years back, I think.

You may want to take a look at his books. This is a clickable link to the website - Seattle news, sports, events, entertainment | seattlepi.com - seattlepi.com and his blog is entitled "Ramblin' Man"
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #22

Fuel Requirements-------

I have traveled with a 2010 Chev diesel, and experienced no problems with fuel. Mexico has the lower bio diesel, but the other countries it is scarce', if you have a pre-2010 you should have no problems.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmerRVer
I have traveled with a 2010 Chev diesel, and experienced no problems with fuel. Mexico has the lower bio diesel, but the other countries it is scarce', if you have a pre-2010 you should have no problems.
Are you finding "bank azufure" is readily available in all parts of a Mexico or just near the border? Everything I can find on the "net" from the RV Forums indicate that it was very scarce even in 2012! BTW the switch to ULSD occurred for model years 2007...... So you need a pre-2007 truck.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #24

yes....it is!

The best way is to get a used diesel...is good condition. Some even sell their RVs in South America and make a profit or just get their money back...There are many Europeans traveling overland, who start in the south and go north to Alaska....reverse of us!!!!

I should be in the Panagonia region in December, and return by Christmas...leaving on the Trek in late July....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #25

In Central and South America an Izusu diesel is the easiest to get repaired that is also going to handle the weight of a large truck camper. But I would want to burn regular gas which is going to be much easier to find in out of the way spots - no different than in the USA.

It is the border areas where one needs to be careful and to go during the daylight hours. More imporant to be as self sufficient as possible for any repairs and to have some ability to speak Latin American Spanish with its local idioms and to have GPS maps for the countries which are expensive but very helpful.

Worse case the RV might get stolen but that can happen in the USA and here the bankers steal people's homes and their pensions so it is actually safer outside this country in many respects. But anyone who relies on Good Sam for assistance is not suited to head south of the US border or many places in the USA where cell phone service does not exist.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #26

We have found that diesel is available ! 100%,,, IN CENTRAL and South America...in Mexico it is sometimes not ...also it is about 1/2 price in places.... happy turbos!!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #27

What kind of paperwork, taxes, or fees are involved to travel to say Belize from the U.S.?

Do i just need my U.S. drivers license, simply drive and go?
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
What kind of paperwork, taxes, or fees are involved to travel to say Belize from the U.S.?

Do i just need my U.S. drivers license, simply drive and go?
Errr, no. First you need mandatory Mexican liability and legals insurance.
Then you need to temporarily import the vehicle into Mexico and get a tourist visa. All available on-line or near the border.

Open Roads forum has a Mexico forum that has all the info you need for Mexico. Every country in S America has its own entry and exit procedures and most have insurance requirements and most have mandatory equipment requirements as well.

Most require international driving permits.

Travel insurance would be smart.

Strongly suggest you start reading blogs on the internet because it really isn't a good idea to just head off and hope for the best.

WikiOverland.org would be one place to start looking for info and then you can go from there.