Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I love to travel south of the border/ to Central & South America.

The truck camper is the best RV for these trips, Also class B, and smaller C and A motorhomes do well,

If anyone needs information, or updated advice, please contact me, I hope to do another trip later this year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #2

How safe is travel into those countries? I would like to spend winters in Costa Rica.
How far south have you driven south? How are the roads?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How safe is travel into those countries? I would like to spend winters in Costa Rica.
How far south have you driven south? How are the roads?
I have traveled to the fairest you can go on the Pan American Highway, Ushuaia, Argentina. Out of the 21,000 miles, there is no more than 350 miles of poor, but very travelable with RV.

I have traveled many years in Latin America, and the best ''safety'' cushion - is good ole COMMON SENSE!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would love to do this, but I have a 40 ft dp and a toad. Would this be suitable, or even realistic?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
I would love to do this, but I have a 40 ft dp and a toad. Would this be suitable, or even realistic?
Hey Dave...we've lived in Cabo (Mexico) for over 10yrs and there is no way I'd take my MH south. We took a 32' 5er back & forth in the Baja a couple of times in 1999/2000.

1) There is NO Coachnet/Good Sam/AAA once you cross the border...in fact there is no RV related Service (or very limited) once you cross the border! A tow from Peurta Vallarta would
probably cost more than my MH is worth!

2) At least in Mexico, diesel mechanics are pretty familiar with CAT/Cummins as they work on OTR trucks... but if you have a problem with your MH...well let's just say you'll provide a whole new learning experience for the Shop!

In 1999 my Cummins 2500 Ram was a learning experience for the Dodge Dealer in La Paz!

3) People take MH & 5ers south all the time. In fact, Caravan trips do it all the time....but " good ol common sense" dictates you stay in RV related Parks...where water, sewer & particularly " electric" is sketchy.

4) Main roads are OK, but can often be very, very narrow....real easy to get momentarily lost ( we've been through Tijuana dozens of times and still get lost)....so be prepared for dead-end streets & unhooking your toad. Good luck with Mexico City...even the cabs get lost there....gas stations are also lot's of fun and quite limited for diesel.

5) Parts of Mexico are pretty poor & a shiny RV will certainly "stand-out"!

6) Good luck on the vehicle insurance. Make sure you get some for Mexico and be sure it includes "bail". As a gringo you are automatically "at fault" & will be going to jail....even if someone hits you while your stationary...you'll want a broker you can call ASAP ... speaks English and can dispatch a well connected English speaking Agent who knows the local police!

In fact, avoid the local police if at all possible!

7) IMO if I was going to drive the Pan American highway, I'd take a "small" 4x4 "low profile/not too shiny" truck with a small bed cap for sleeping... not a 40' MH & toad.

Just another perspective....I was also a lot younger in 1999 when we first hit the Baja!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the current situation in Mexico, there is no way I would chance taking my RV or my life south of the USA border. Too many bandidtos and drug types there that would look at the shiny GRINGO RV and see no reason they could not tak eit away from you.

ken
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

thanks jack.it sounds like i will be flying to mexico and and staying at an all inclusive resort!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh well, I guess I will just stick to the deserts of AZ, NM, and CA. I was just hoping I could take the Pan Am highway down to Costa Rica.

Happy New Year!!!!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #9

PanAmHighway? depends how you travel it!

The idea rig is under 30', and if you travel alone or with a friend there is no size limit. The Trekoftheamericas group that does the trip will take only 1 large motorhome and one trailer, the rest of the 10 RV must be under 30'.

In Mexico, I also do not advise the west coast, but instead, the advised routing is the east coast, crossing at Pharr, Texas and traveling only in the day. Again if with a group, they handle the routing and times of crossing. I just returned from Guatemala, through Mexico, and had no problems. Also met several other RVer (mostly from Canada) who had been traveling there, they also experienced no problems.

In Central and South America, the border crossings are ok if you know what to expect, the guide does this for you. SOUTH AMERICA roads and border crossings are really fine.

I am doing photography of the highway, and have many birding friends who really are enjoying this route also.

Furthermore there is NO need to bring a "toad", because you are always at the place you want to see, I found about 6 times I rented a small car to scoot around, the local buses and taxi were great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-152F.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	31257  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Looking at your front end .......... it looks...........like you are stuck there?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #11

that's where 4x4 helps....however if I didn't have 4x4, I would have never pulled out that far on the beach! lol
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

You still look stuck 4x4 or not! Lol that's a heavy rig. How do you love that Xpedition rig? Those look awesome I would dream of one (Dodge/Sterling platform for me). Enjoy the scenery it sure looks beautiful!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

went to using a F350 diesel pickup with camper,,,both great.... the southern travel is enjoying the small out of the way places, like this non commerical beach area, and by no means do you need a 4x4.... it's just when you do have one...you tend to take more chances with it.

I read a lot of comments from other rvers, but I have been there myself, and find the entire route trouble free, and with the past experience I would not tell my best friend or family not to go (for that reason), however you do have to have the pre-trip information and again use common sense.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #14

Responding to some comments above is like a double edged sword. Since the press has had a field day with Mexican drug violence, the beaches in Baja have been largely deserted (relatively speaking). I love it. On the other hand, the Mexican economy (areas that rely heavily on tourism) is suffering. Hate to see that. Also hate to see people miss out on what is some of the best vacationing around, in my opinion. So, with that, I will say we've been doing Baja (and to a lesser degree Mainland) for quite some time. We have never, and I mean never, had an issue. I feel Baja, at least, is considerably safer than most any decent size US city. As SAR suggested above, common sense goes a long, long way when traveling South. Our method of heading south is tried and true (tank full, bladders empty, cross at day break, don't stop for nada until the border area is behind us by a couple hundred miles). I do agree that the border area is questionable and hanging out there is inviting trouble. However, once the border area is well behind, the people in Mexico are some of the friendliest and helpful you will find. Plus, having a pristine beach all to yourself is, well, why we do what we do. The first time you do it, might hook up with a caravan to help ease any concerns. Once you do that, you'll wonder what all the fuss was all about.