Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #1

Is a front mounted dirt bike on a camper truck legal?

Aloha! @ 77 just moved from Hi to Az as my starting point for full time solo RV camper as my last segment of a lifetime on this confused planet.

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 dually with a Northern Lite 9-6-Q SE camper.

The past 30 days I've been spending my time getting the truck/camper more user friendly.

Because of rear entrance I have mounted my KTM 200 off road bike on the front bumper using a Reese bolt on tow hitch receiver with motorcycle carry rack I modified plugged into it, I set the rack hight so the headlight beams project between the tires and tall fenders, I just did this and yet to test it out.

Note > I never drive at night, period.

After I finished this project read somewhere recently that it's illegal in California, is this true? if so, are there any other States that this is illegal?

Mahalo in advance for your thoughts on this subject.
Septuagenari is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting. I looked into this a few years ago for a Honda 250 and concluded it couldn't be done without interfering with the headlights. Good luck and post pictures.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #3

Given that in CA it is illegal to mount a GPS anywhere on the windshield except two tiny approved areas, I'd be surprised if you could get away with any obstruction of your forward view in CA
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Call a CHP office and ask. Get the name and number of who you talk to. If they OK it, happy trails.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

I think you will find when researching any topic that has to do with what is legal in which state, the only way to know the correct answer would be to contact the DOT in each state. Perhaps for some topics the information is so well disseminated by the state you can find it on the Internet and I have found that laws regarding the what-ifs for motor vehicles are usually accessible online, but man does the digging take time.

The thought off the top of my head is each state is likely to have some type of regulation regarding forward visibility, but that is just my best guess and I don't know if even that is true. And the problem here is even when doing what you think holds to the letter of the law, if a LEO has an opposing opinion, you still end up ticketed or stopped until you go to court.

Being on the same glide path, at this point in life I try to avoid "pulling the lion's tail".
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #6

I agree with the other posers who advised first determining what is required by the state/s you will be transporting it in.

We have used TC's for many years in conjunction with Honda CT 90's. A bit smaller than your bike, but similar. I carried one of them for years in baskets on the front of our TC, but later opted to carry them on a small trailer because of the headlight situation. I was thinking that with your TC, that could be an option.

After we started taking along a Samurai-Tracker toad I built carriers for both ends of it and carried them there. Another option if you have a toad.

You could also carry it on a ramp attached to the receiver on the back of the TC. Doing that interfered a bit with our camper door, but it worked.

Another option would be to find out what the law requires in your state, and if necessary, provide another set of headlights that would be on the other side of the bike, like what is done with snowplows.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

Take a look at the lighting on a snow plow.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
AKP

Each state has their own set of traffic laws as does local governments. You will NEVER be compliant in every state. Most states require 500 feet of headlight level visibility likely somewhere near; no less than 23 “ above the ground or no more than 54”. Your attachment would be similar to a snow plow mounted in front which sometimes has to have plow mounted headlights due to the plow obstruction. Base your decision on the state where your vehicle is plated because law enforcement agencies ordinarily only enforce Equipment Laws for their state of jurisdiction. For example , window tint.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #9

I believe this pertains to the OP's specific questions. If not, it should be the website that leads to the right answers.

Overhang
Old 12-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #10

type in YOUTUBE SEARCH BAR- Gaston Belanger.

That guy just bought a whole new rig- and has his KTM on front.
He has a killer setup. The man is 77- sold everything in Hawaii and moved here in a new dually and northern light. He is absolutely killing it! So jealous of him! His videos and pictures are amazing
BIGDREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote