Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Question Is Insurance needed for a Truck Camper?

My local Farm Bureau Insurance office giving me a hard time about me wanting insurance for my 2005 Host slide-in Camper. Do I really need insurance or just use the truck's insurance if anything goes wrong?

Thanks.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ask your agent. The question is simply if the unit is covered while installed. I'd expect it to be, just like a topper for you bed, but I'd get it in writing from your agent.

It likely would not be covered by insurance when not riding in the truck.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

insurance for truck camper

If a tree hits your camper in a camp ground you have no ins if its off your truck
glazier55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

truck camper insurance

I ran this by my ins. agent and was informed that while loaded on our truck, the truck ins. is valid, and when unloaded it's coverage reverts against our home policy.
Jade Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

Hummmm..... In writing from both insurance companies?
FitzBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Racing View Post
I ran this by my ins. agent and was informed that while loaded on our truck, the truck ins. is valid, and when unloaded it's coverage reverts against our home policy.
Does it have to be parked at home to be covered? Some jurisdictions require that truck campers be licensed, here it is considered cargo. However insurance might be tricky if it is damaged while unloaded away from home.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 AM   #7

Did your agent say "how much" it is covered for? I bet if you read the policy you'll find out that the coverage is probably limited and certainly not what your camper is worth.
dschad2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

Insurance

Ran the scenario past my agent late yesterday and am waiting for an update. Will post when I get info. Am headed south to Bristol Ten. for a week but will follow up. Eric
Jade Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschad2001 View Post
Did your agent say "how much" it is covered for? I bet if you read the policy you'll find out that the coverage is probably limited and certainly not what your camper is worth.
Cann't get a answer from my Farm Bureau Insurance. Not even a yes or no from them. Going today to find another insurance company.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #10

Farm Bureau Insurance has contacted me today about my camper and I will get full coverage for 44.00 for 6 months. Camper can be out of truck or in truck for the same rate. They said it doesn't matter.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #11

I have AAA and added the camper to my insurance policy. They gave a few options but I chose to only insure it when it is on the truck for an additional $50 a year or something like that.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #12

State Farm policy

When I was hauling it around in the bed of my truck, the truck policy covered it for full depreciated value (blue book) whether it was on the truck or off the truck. I drove it by my agents office last week and when he saw it being on a gooseneck trailer and being hauled around like a fifth wheel, he said it is no longer covered because truck campers were not designed to be pulled around like trailer type RVs.

He took pictures of the TC on the trailer and wrote a new policy application to cover both the TC and the trailer. As soon as I gave him a check to cover the first monthly payment, he said I am covered until State Farm tells me otherwise. It may take a few days for State Farm to decide if my new policy is valid or not. If not, I will report that back here. If yes - and I get a policy in the mail - I'll report back here with the cost of said policy.
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Farm Bureau Insurance has contacted me today about my camper and I will get full coverage for 44.00 for 6 months. Camper can be out of truck or in truck for the same rate. They said it doesn't matter.
That kind of policy called a "rider".
State Farm charged me $15.00 for it. Truck insurance applies when it is on the truck, home insurance covers it if off truck at home. The rider covers it if left at a campground and someone hits it, a tree falls on it, etc.
bighatnohors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #14

My State Farm policies (home and truck) provide full coverage whereever and whenever. I had a homeowners claim on my Bigfoot after a hailstorm for $1400 to cover the lights and covers (A/C, refrig) that were torn up. They said homeowners cover it at the house (regardless if it was on or off the truck) and my truck policy will when I am away, regardless of whether it is on the truck at that moment or not.

That is what I learned.

Tags
insurance