Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #15

I'd suggest a smaller pop up as well. Or maybe a teardrop, but you'll have more room in the popup.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #16

Thank you much. I will look up pop-ups as I'm not sure how they work. If they are a big job I don't know if I could do it or not but I will definitely check them out denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbiker1096 View Post
I'd suggest a smaller pop up as well. Or maybe a teardrop, but you'll have more room in the popup.
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #17

I had a 1993 Ford Ranger V6, automatic, standard rear axle ratio (??). We first bought a mini cab-over camper, 900#. The truck handled it OK and it was laid out pretty well for the size. At 6'-2", I couldn't live with the less than 6' headroom. So we bought a small truck pop-up Jayco camper, 1000#. Truck handled it well also, and headroom was great, but had to duck to get through the low door. Nothing real bad about the pop-up except not a cool/cold weather rig, and noisy because of the canvas wall part. Then fell in love with a 15' travel trailer, so traded for it. The truck actually struggled to tow it in our high country (3100#), so bought a Durango to tow with. Then decided to get a 5th wheel, so traded Ranger for Ram Diesel, but that's another story.
If you do go with a camper, make sure you have the best and highest capacity tires you can get on the rear. I added overload springs to keep it more level and yes, I probably was at or over GVW with the pop-up loaded, but the lower profile pop-up camper handled fine and that amount of weight was no problem for the truck.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #18

A Six-Pac (six-pac.com) will be easily managed by your truck as will almost any of the popup campers. Six Pac is not currently producing campers but used ones are not terribly difficult to find. Also check out the popup and hardsided campers at Four Wheel Campers | Low Profile, Light Weight, Pop-up Truck Campers.

I used a Six Pac camper for years using a Toyota 4x4 with the 4-banger engine and had zero problems on or off the road.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #19

Oh wow, you guys are really helpful! I will check out more popups when I have time today! I like the ones that have the hardsides and also, the ones that turn into little A frame types?? ttys, denise
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can do it! All the rage for the Baja camping crowd!

EZ-Lite Popup Truck Campers
or
Northstar Campers :: - R.C. WILLETT CO., INC. - Pop-up Campers, Hardwall Campers
or
More... | Phoenix Pop Up - Custom Built Truck Campers - Powered by Clvr.Tv

And the list goes on...there are even fiberglass truck toppers that flip their lid - opening a tent that extends from the rear bumper all the way to the front of the flipped top.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #21

If you are sold on a truck camper vs. a pull trailer, at least consider what we had when we went to a small trailer from a pop-up camper...
-range with oven instead of two burner range top
-real toilet with holding tank
-real bathroom with sink and shower and holding tank
-air conditioning
-bigger refrigerator
-more battery capacity
-more propane capacity
-more room and storage
Of course this all came with a price (weight). Like I said before, our Ranger had all it could handle with the trailer we had. But we were generally above 6000 ft altitude, which reduces engine power quite a bit. And there are lighter trailers available than what we had (GVW was about 3300#). Just more to chew on (and confuse???).
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #22

thanks so much and I will take this all into consideration. What I get will be what I can afford because I literally have a couple 1000 at best. But, I may have a job lined up for Summer already and if I do get it, I can spend a bit more on something, or, there may be housing for me on the resort, I don't know details yet If I have housing all Summer, then I can save more with that time, and get a way better rig before Winter. If the job turns year round, I may change my "travel" road-style life if the job is great! Time will tell but thank you so much, again denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
If you are sold on a truck camper vs. a pull trailer, at least consider what we had when we went to a small trailer from a pop-up camper...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #23

Won't try it

We have a big truck and had to put money into it for air bags, tie downs before we would put our slide in on.

It will stress out your truck
tndhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Denise, you might find more info on this forum... Fiberglass RV

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #25

Not to confuse matters but from time to time there are great deals on Craigslist for trucks with campers sold together at very good prices. With this type of buy you have a good idea that the two will work together and not be spending money on tie-downs, new shocks, sway bars, better tires, truck to camper wiring, and other items nor do you need to worry about too much of a load on your current truck. May be cheaper in the long run to sell your current truck and put the money into a ready to go rig.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A cap on the bed with a sleeping bag on the floor will work?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #27

What part of the country will you spend most of your time? Will you be in cold northern weather? I am thinking that a tall cap on the truck will work best. Get an air mattress, sleeping bag and use the rest of the money to buy things that make it nice like shelves, a chair, lights, port-a-potty. Humm - heat and A/C, not sure how you can set that up...

Or sell the truck and buy a used panel van. That way you can have more living space, have heat and a/c, and can walk around in it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote