Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #1

From what I have seen weight issues apply to many brands of slide in truck campers.

I have told a dealer I would like a Lance 1030. I can get out of, or change the deal if I have to. The camper has all the bells and most of the whistles. The brochure says it weighs in at 2770 lbs. We all know this is just the starting point.

After adding up all the goodies, it appears it will come in at about 3500 lbs. I figure Dragon Lady, the dog, and me will weigh around 500 lbs and another 200lbs for junk.
4200 lbs is about the minimum we will be carrying in the truck. 4500 lbs is more likely.

The truck is a 1997 Diesel Ford F-350 dually extended cab. Door sticker says 10000 lbs GVWR. Other documentation in the truck says it should carry 3415 lbs.

I think the all told the truck will push 10500 --11000 lbs.

I am planning on putting the air bags on the truck and a prepared to go with the Rancho 9000 shocks and overload springs.

I look at a lot of large campers and it is clear to me that many, if not most, of them overload the truck they are on.

My question to all you truck camper Guru types:

1. Am I asking this package to do too much? Should I go for a significantly smaller camper? Don't necessarily want to spring for a larger truck.
2. How much is too much? Are a lot of you all 500-1000lbs over.
3. Do I need the shocks and overload springs or will the air bags handle it?
Another question.
4.Have any of elected to use the Comfortaire type air inflatable mattresses in an effort to reduce weight.

Thank you.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #2

From what I have seen weight issues apply to many brands of slide in truck campers.

I have told a dealer I would like a Lance 1030. I can get out of, or change the deal if I have to. The camper has all the bells and most of the whistles. The brochure says it weighs in at 2770 lbs. We all know this is just the starting point.

After adding up all the goodies, it appears it will come in at about 3500 lbs. I figure Dragon Lady, the dog, and me will weigh around 500 lbs and another 200lbs for junk.
4200 lbs is about the minimum we will be carrying in the truck. 4500 lbs is more likely.

The truck is a 1997 Diesel Ford F-350 dually extended cab. Door sticker says 10000 lbs GVWR. Other documentation in the truck says it should carry 3415 lbs.

I think the all told the truck will push 10500 --11000 lbs.

I am planning on putting the air bags on the truck and a prepared to go with the Rancho 9000 shocks and overload springs.

I look at a lot of large campers and it is clear to me that many, if not most, of them overload the truck they are on.

My question to all you truck camper Guru types:

1. Am I asking this package to do too much? Should I go for a significantly smaller camper? Don't necessarily want to spring for a larger truck.
2. How much is too much? Are a lot of you all 500-1000lbs over.
3. Do I need the shocks and overload springs or will the air bags handle it?
Another question.
4.Have any of elected to use the Comfortaire type air inflatable mattresses in an effort to reduce weight.

Thank you.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #3

I have a Lance 1130 on the back of my F350. Now it is a dually and it does have Ranchos plus a set of Timbren overloads in place. The truck also has the Ford Camper/Trailer package. That means front and rear sway bars and an extra leaf in the springs. The truck plus the Lance 1130 scaled at 11,440. Ford says I can carry 11,200. Am I concerned? Nope.
Even when I tow my 14 foot ATV trailer and two quads behind me.
I know how it rides and how to get it stopped safely.
Chet
Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should weigh your truck a a couple of stations, landscape supply, moving companies, etc. My guess is you weigh 7100 lbs.

Can you mount all-steel tires on your truck?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #5

I have your same set up, except the truck is a '99 F350 SRW. It does just fine with rancho's and airbags. A dually would be better, but I'm not complaining. I weigh in at 10,900 without food or water in the camper. About 6200# of that is on the rear axle.

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:41 AM   #6

I have a 1030 on my Dodge dually. It's a much heavier camper than you might think. I've weighed mine -- weighed truck empty, then truck with camper, and did the math. My 1030, setup as I have it, full of freshwater, propane, food, clothes, etc, weighs in at 4400 lbs.

If you're gonna use a SRW truck, just be sure to weigh it and see what's the weight on your rear axle and compare it to your tire ratings at max psi. As long as you're within that figure, you should be fine. If not, get better tires... such as Rickson 19.5's.

Rob
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote