Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

Lance 881 Problems

Hey Guys,

So this is my second lance it is a 2005 881 Max. First problem I am having is that I am getting water running down the side of my bed in the storage compartment and out. I am trying to rule out possible leak locations. I have not seen any water leaking down from the vent above. Caulking looks fine on roof. It’s supposed to rain today and i threw a tarp on the roof to see if it maybe a window. Maybe you guys seen this before?

Next problem is my jack leg has bent pretty good and every time i go to raise or lower it shifts on me. I checked all the screws and nuts to see if any were loose and there wasn’t anything. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BED9E6F-5A1D-441D-AA88-0BBEB57AB719.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	268586   Click image for larger version

Name:	017CA7F0-6F84-42B0-BB59-6247C4A33B7C.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	268587  

Flaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
laj

Lance 881 Problems

several things you should decide: what kind of overall shape is it in, previous water damage
do you like it
how long do you think you’ll keep it
once water damage gets in can become a major project to fully fix it.
how much money are you willing to throw at it.

if i wanted to fix and keep it i would call lance and take it to them. they’ll fix it right, not just smear junk on it. when i was looking at. a lance i talked to them about this, and they said they do it all the time for people. your not that far from the factory. that way you know its fixed right, then take care of it and it will last you a long time.

when i was looking at an older lance they told me there was nothing on there they wouldn’t rebuild if i wanted. water leaks can be hard to chase.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

As Larry says it could be taken to Lance to have it repaired. It may not be a bad idea to get an estimate if you're inclined in that direction.

I would think that if the water damage isn't severe already it shouldn't be too difficult to seal it back up, not by smearing stuff on it (a quick fix), but by taking things apart and re-sealing them. If the leak is at the window, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove it, re-seal, and replace. It may require a helper, depending on how it's installed, but I've done this several times.

I totally rebuilt the bed section of our Caribou because of a water leak there, but it was wood framed where I suspect yours is aluminum with bonded sides. The wood was fairly easy to work with, but I don't know about the aluminum and bonded. I've never done that.

The jack could be bent because the truck appears to be parked on a significant incline. ;-)) Seriously, is it actually bent, or misaligned where it attaches to the camper? If it is bent that could require replacement, misalignment should be a simple matter of loosening it and realigning. I don't understand what is meant by, "it shifts on me". Does that mean it moves at the attachment point? If so, that would indicate to me something is not right there which would require digging a little deeper to find the problem.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's guys. I called Lance and they were 3-4 months out to repair. They passed on the number to Galaxy Campers in Ontario and I am glad they did. David over there is awesome. He did notice that my leg was bowed and got it replaced. As for the leak he didn't see any significant damage in the ceiling area as he removed the upper vent(resealed) and speaker inside. I had them reseal the roof and I hope that fixes the problem.

The shifting I was talking about was when I would lower the camper down to the ground it would want to slide over towards the bowed leg side. Everything now looks great when the camper moves up and down.

Knock on wood that was the grunt of my problems.

Thanks again!
Flaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks for letting us know how everything worked out, and I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. Now all you have to look forward to is...fun! Enjoy.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
laj

thats great. i think the older lances were built way better than the new ones. get it taken care of right, before any real damage and it should last a long time.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems