Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #15

While the main purpose of this thread is over and the OP has bought a TC, I thought I'd add that a way to avoid the rain, snow, or ? is with a boot between the cab and camper. This will allow direct access between the truck and camper if you can make it through the opening. We had these on both our campers and the kept us out of the "rain" on numerous occasions. It also allowed access to the camper while traveling.

Also the TC worked great for us from the late 70s to the present, but DW has a new hip replacement and the MH will accommodate that better.

I will also say the view from the front of the MH while driving is way better than any vehicle we've ever owned. It provides a nearly unrestricted panoramic view.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Also the TC worked great for us from the late 70s to the present, but DW has a new hip replacement and the MH will accommodate that better.

I will also say the view from the front of the MH while driving is way better than any vehicle we've ever owned. It provides a nearly unrestricted panoramic view.

Steve
I probably have the least-traveled TC here (as opposed to the most-traveled as SoAmerRVer says he has) - I bought it somewhat on a lark (wanted to use the dually Ram 4x4 for something other than holding the driveway down when it wasn't pulling the fifth wheel - which is once every two years!) but with some unplanned business concerns, trading the old Montana in on a new one, and using the DP to go to a Rally, I just haven't had a chance to use it other than the couple nights in it when I took delivery 500 miles away.

Having owned and still owning many RVs, but never had a truck camper before, I am excited about this new toy and have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. And, having all kinds of RVs, I can say from experience they all have their plusses and minuses - none are perfect and being blessed to be able to have as many different types as I do (have a toy hauler too), I can choose to use the one that best fits my needs at the time with the type of camping I am doing. I won't knock any type, because they all mean someone gets out to enjoy the great outdoors in some form or fashion that they might not otherwise, when they use them. Some like the journey, and some like the destination, and some like a mix of both. All are good.
(OK - I can hear some scoffing by people saying how can you call that camping in the great outdoors when you're staying in a 43 foot bath-and-a-half coach...when I use mine I'm probably sitting outside under the awning more hours than I'm sitting inside - I can go months without even turning the satellite on and I often think I'm nuts for paying for that service as little as I use it - but I do love retiring at night to my kingsize bed and stepping out in the cold mornings onto heated tile floors - as much as I love climbing up into the overhead on the camper and almost feeling like I'm in the womb again sleeping up there!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:49 AM   #17

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Most....of the RVers traveling along the Route of the Pan American Highway from USA to Argentina are owner of large coaches...and they made the choice of buying a second RV (TC) or under 30' class C to do this trek. After the trip, some sold the smaller RV and some choose to keep it, and sell the coach.

It is so enjoyable to have the freedom of my Lance TC, and enjoy the outdoors and different cultures/countries/small towns of the trip, I also have a Bluebird, which almost has become a storage shed (sentimentally I love it, so I have not sold it)..the Lance has been my choice.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
I probably have the least-traveled TC here (as opposed to the most-traveled as SoAmerRVer says he has) - I bought it somewhat on a lark (wanted to use the dually Ram 4x4 for something other than holding the driveway down when it wasn't pulling the fifth wheel - which is once every two years!) but with some unplanned business concerns, trading the old Montana in on a new one, and using the DP to go to a Rally, I just haven't had a chance to use it other than the couple nights in it when I took delivery 500 miles away.

Having owned and still owning many RVs, but never had a truck camper before, I am excited about this new toy and have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. And, having all kinds of RVs, I can say from experience they all have their plusses and minuses - none are perfect and being blessed to be able to have as many different types as I do (have a toy hauler too), I can choose to use the one that best fits my needs at the time with the type of camping I am doing. I won't knock any type, because they all mean someone gets out to enjoy the great outdoors in some form or fashion that they might not otherwise, when they use them. Some like the journey, and some like the destination, and some like a mix of both. All are good.
(OK - I can hear some scoffing by people saying how can you call that camping in the great outdoors when you're staying in a 43 foot bath-and-a-half coach...when I use mine I'm probably sitting outside under the awning more hours than I'm sitting inside - I can go months without even turning the satellite on and I often think I'm nuts for paying for that service as little as I use it - but I do love retiring at night to my kingsize bed and stepping out in the cold mornings onto heated tile floors - as much as I love climbing up into the overhead on the camper and almost feeling like I'm in the womb again sleeping up there!
I would say that you have the best of all camping worlds. Enjoy them all to the max!

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post

I would say that you have the best of all camping worlds. Enjoy them all to the max!

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #20

Thanks steve...glad to put my two cents in....
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #21

A lot of the comments are referring to campers made years ago, a lot has changed since then.
Most newer campers don't have a pass through window anymore. Main reason is that the floor sits above the bed rails, giving you more floor space and a large basement.
You will have to look long and hard to find anyone who makes an aluminum sided camper anymore.
I have one of the largest campers made, a triple slide, 11.5'. My floor is 8' wide, plenty of room for people to pass by each other.
My camper hangs off the rear of the bed 3.5' and I use a 42" extension to tow my jet boat.
Total weight going down the road is a little over 18,000lbs.
I drop the camper at campgrounds every chance I get. It takes about 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.
I would never buy a camper in California. No sense in giving the State $3-5000.
California doesn't register campers, they are considered cargo,travel to Oregon, no tax. Warranty is not a problem. Most manufactures have repair places in nearly every state that they have authorized to do warranty work.
skyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #22

Congratulations on your new Lance 1172
You might want to join the Lance Owners of America website forum where you can get information specific to your camper model.

The 2017 models of the 1172 probably don't have the Schwintek slideout mechanism. There were many complaints about the Schwintek slide mechanism - things like slides not retracting! It has been rumored that Lance was going to abandon the Schwintek mechanism and go back to the Happijac slide mechanism. For your peace of mind, you might want to know which mechanism is used for your slides.

As for Lance "quality", it's about average for any of the top five TC manufacturers with slide out models. If you want to see what I mean, take your flash light and look into the nooks and crannys - such as removing drawers and looking behind them. . .expect to see sawdust, loose screws and whatever else.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #23

I know this thread is rather old but thought I would chime in with my experience. I lived full time in my Lance for 18 months both boondocking and staying in COE campgrounds. You don't have a lot of room but I was comfortable by myself. I didn't care for the wet bath but adapted. My unit was on one ton Dodge dually. I added air bags to the truck for stability and it really helped. I changed out jacks from manual to electric remote control. During this exchange a lot of rot was discovered in the back half of the camper. My biggest complaint was that RV dealers were extremely happy to sell you a TC but when it became time to trade or upgrade they weren't very interested at all in working with you.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:02 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
A friend of mine is having nothing but troubles with his 1172. Dinette slide problems and actually the rear of the unit was almost leaning down in back that it had signs of separation in the adjacent walls and floor. It was revealed that they only "Tac" welded the sub structure and not a full weld for strength.

They went from the Schwintek slides back to the happy jack and his second repair but the unit as he said is just breaking apart!

If they do not make good on this third repair I can see were he stated it will go to court!

I'd stay away in my opinion.

Good Luck!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #25

It is a great camper - BUT if cost is a factor, WHY not buy a good used one, there are some great deals online, especially this time of year, with all the COLD weather! If you wait to spring the prices will be much higher!
I just returned from Panama with my Lance, on the Pan American Highway, great weather all the way, and now in 40 degree weather in South Texas!!!! lol