Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Lance camper

I'm thing of buying a 2017 1172 Lance Camper. It's a lot money!!! So I'm asking for any tip anyone has. It will be on a F-450
4X4.

Thank you very much for any advice

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prevost View Post
I'm thing of buying a 2017 1172 Lance Camper. It's a lot money!!! So I'm asking for any tip anyone has. It will be on a F-450
4X4.

Thank you very much for any advice
I advise you to drop the whole rig off at my house and let me use it for a while!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

I just went through the same sort of thing. I pondered many options and different brands for months. It was down to 3, Bigfoot, Lance, and Arctic Fox.

I have a long history with Bigfoot. So I know the quality there. I owned 2 units over a span of 15 years. My first one I kept only a couple years. My second a 2500 series 10.5, I have owned for 13 years. Loved that camper.

That was until today. I traded it and an older Alpenlite 5th wheel for a new AF 1140 wet bath.

Didn't use the 5er as much as I thought I would when I bought it. Too hard to keep the big 5th wheel warm in cold damp weather. Had to be much more careful if you got off the pavement when towing the 5th. Loved the room to stretch out though.

Guess I'm a truck camper kinda guy. Fits most anywhere. No additional axles to maintain. It's much easier to clean and detail a TC. And you can tow your other toys easier than you can behind the 5er. These big 11.5' truck campers are heavy. And nowhere near the weight supplied by the manufacturer sales brochure. I think AF claims the 1140 to weigh in around 3,500 dry (without options of course) but I'm reading wet they can be a tad over 5,000 lbs. If any owners on the forum want to verify or deny the numbers I've posted please correct me.

The main reasons I chose Arctic Fox 1140,
1) Tons of usable storage
2) Reputable dealer / distributer very close to Colorado Springs
3) Large interior for those "Cabbed Up" kind of weather days.
4) Found a year end model for thousands off MSRP

Hope you enjoy the Lance. I don't think any of them are "Bad" campers. A person needs to figure out for themselves what unit will fit their needs. From a user as well as a financial standpoint. There are so many options out there and they all have compromises from one to the next. These things aren't cheap, and when time comes to trade them in, they ain't worth anything close to the original investment.

Can't say if I'm going to be happy with the Arctic Fox, only time and nights out will determine that. Can't wait,, Hope to take delivery next week. Time to head to canyon country and spend a few nights in the dez!

Moe
Old 01-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Lance Camper

I had a Lance 550 on a Dodge dually diesel...I hated it!

I went back to a motorhome, since I could not afford a Motor-toter. I really wanted a 28ft Motorhome with a 450HP Diesel, but could not find one, and the Motor-totors are about it, however Thor has a nice one, but big $$$$

I now have a 300HP 34' Barth Motorhome to tow my car trailer.

The Lance is a first class product, just too cramped, get wet going from the cab to the camper. If you are camping with your wife, it is just too cramped. you will kill each other!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorcoran View Post

I went back to a motorhome, since I could not afford a Motor-toter. I really wanted a 28ft Motorhome with a 450HP Diesel, but could not find one, and the Motor-totors are about it, however Thor has a nice one, but big $$$$

The Lance is a first class product, just too cramped, get wet going from the cab to the camper. If you are camping with your wife, it is just too cramped. you will kill each other!
The truck campers are small. And I agree, with the wife, 2 small dogs and I in the 10.6 Bigfoot it gets crowded quick. You end up getting in each others way a bit. So you have to jockey around each other to move about.

A slide or slides as some of them have now will help but they are still truck campers. High off the ground. Several steps to get in and out of them. And they can get precarious if snowy or icy for sure.

Not trying to talk you out of a TC. I've always preferred one over the other types of RV for my needs. Just be sure that's going to suit your situation when you drop down those big bucks for new. I saw a price on a new big Lance close to $60,000!
That's some serious coin for a truck camper. Then a 2014 used around $25,000. I don't recall model numbers but they were big 11.5 / 12 footers with 2 slides.

Tough decisions for sure.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #6

Lance camper

The other thing that I did not like, was water was getting behind the aluminum siding, and it was rotting the wood near the bottom rear of the slide in camper.

I really liked the dodge dually, but we ended up sleeping in motels, and only slept in the camper on the way to our destination...for us, it was a huge waste of money.

I would really do some serious homework before you take the plunge.

Br, Mark
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #7

All the above, and it's a lot of money.

We've had 11.5 campers on 4WD trucks since the late '70s and they have done just about everything we have wanted them to. They have been in places where we would have been stopped without 4WD. They have taken us from coast to coast and to Alaska without any major problems. When we were nearing retirement we considered what we would do and how we would do it, along with getting a newer RV. We considered full timing, selling the house and moving to a new location, etc. We eventually decided to stay where we were, full timing wasn't for us, and to replace the old TC with a newer one. In '93 we bought a '89 Dodge Cummins W250 for $12,000.00 and a '92 11.5' Caribou with gen and AC for $10,500.00. They have served us well over the years for more than 200k miles. Major repairs to the camper have been a new aluminum roof early on to replace the leaking rubber, replacing/rebuilding the wood structure all around the sides and rear Summer before last, as well as the structure around the lower front the following Spring. I chose the Caribou because it had large fresh and holding tanks (we boondock a lot) and because of the wooden structure I felt would be easier for me to work on. This Summer after returning from a nearly 8k mile trip to the East coast and back DW decided we needed something that would ride smoother, had a bed we didn't need to climb up into, and something with better access to the rest of the camper while traveling ( going through the boot was becoming a problem). We bought an older 26' Flair, but we're keeping the TC until after another trip back East this Summer and some boondocking with the Flair to be certain it will work for us.

mcorcoran, if you ever find two of those 28' diesels please let me know, I'd like one too. 4WD would also be nice.:-))

Steve
Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #8

I just made the plunge on a Lance 1062 - the next model "down" in their line. I wanted the two slides for max floor space, but wanted the door on the back instead of the side - and, I can squeeze in even with the dinette slide in if I have to. I also wanted the dry bath, as I'm not a fan of shoilets. I've owned a variety of RVs over the years, now having a 43 ft. DP, a 39 ft. Fiver, and in about a month the Lance. I've never done the truck camper thing, but I see a lot opportunities for use as the DP is too big for most state parks and not conducive to overnighting on the sly, and pretty much ditto for the fifth wheel. Each as their place and value, but and the TC fills a void. One benefit I expect to take advantage of is the 4WD potential. Although I pull the Fiver with a 4WD truck, you're still limited to where you go - and I just don't see it being much of ski/board house whereas the Lance should work great for that.
But could this be a mistake? Sure - but Lance's have such a good rep and high resale (relatively speaking, as much as an RV can have) that I figure I have to try and if it's not for me I'll sell it and consider the deprec the cost of trying out something new and exciting!
Make the plunge! (and oh yes, you can pick up those Lances like any RV for significantly less than the MSRP - so don't think you have to pay any $60K for one!)
Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you going solo or is there DW and pets? Can you find a friend with a camper and live in it, on the road or in the driveway for awhile? Is there one to rent ?

We had a Arctic Fox 1150 for 4 years and liked it a lot....until DW and I added one dog and one cat to the mix. After a year or two....we sold it and bought a Class A.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Retired Fire Service RVer's
LANCE CAMPERS FOR OVER 30 YRS - Most traveled Lance with 1,000,000 kms !

LANCE is my choice and have had for over 30 years. Of course, if you do not like "campers" in general - no one brand will do you!

I have traveled throughout the Americas, mostly via the Pan American Highway from Alaska to the tip of Argentina...all kinds of terrain and weather - snow desert, jungle, beaches, mountains, rivers...and more!

If you like to go to a "RV Park" and sit in your RV and watch TV...probable a truck camper is not for you? We go to see things, and are not sitting inside more than 20% of the time...
Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #11

My way finally bought it they lanced 1170 to 2017 F350 duly, went from Santa Barbara to Lake Tahoe and the smell the truck drove like a dream never had to put it in four-wheel-drive 1172 you can hardly tell it was on the back lots and lots of power beautiful rag, extremely happy with it! Has to pull outs Lotsa room solar panel loaded to the gills. I'm new to this site so any mistakes I make I apologize in advance I'm not sure what I'm doing.not sure how to send it
Old 05-13-2016, 04:46 AM   #12

If you are a "RV Potato" probably a "Truck Camper" is not for you. The fun of camping is to see your destinations and the route of getting there - everyday, everymile, and everyarea...is the fun if it! The truck camper offers you that opportunity to do exactly that!
I usually leave my camper mounted, and only take it off, when I am at a camp more than a few days or in a situation, where it is really special. I have found that most destinations are reachable directly with your camper.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorcoran View Post

Ha! Try squeezing into a teardrop with your wife! We didn't kill each other. She got a hotel room after the 3 day of rain.
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #14

"View from the window" of my Lance.....

In the beginning...we were pitching a newly bought tent, in the dark, on a river bed in Reno, Nevada - moved up to a "camperized" van, then a Shasta Travel Trailer, then a class C 24' chevy motorhome, and since 1980 several "Lance" campers!

You've gotta make the decision - based on your "wife" (or 4 kids), some are happy just getting out and enjoying, and others are NOT.. the rain isn't fun but make the best of the situation.

I have the most traveled Lance known, with over 1,000,000 kms, traveled the Pan American Highway from Alaska to the tip of Argentina (13 times to Argentina), and love every minute of it!!! My first Lance, I picked up at the old factory in Los Angeles, and the last one at the factory in Lancaster.

Really love the Lance and working on a photo journal called; "View from the Window" of my Lance..with photos of all types of birds and wildlife (condors, flamingos, storks, emos, foxes, guanacos, penguins, and even whales), also the views of Ice Glaciers, waterfalls, volcanos, and flowers, these are from the window views. With the camper, it has allowed me to really GO - WHERE the destination IS>

Some of these were also accessible from the orginal "tent"...but the weather, and security of the camper make the truck camper my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1424.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	128593