Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #1

We're looking at a 2002 Lance 1121. A search here and on Google brought up the issue of the wall sagging below the slide out. Lance has been fixing the problem with a peiece of angle steel.

The TC we are looking at has the plastic on the carpet and 16 hours on the genset and obviously has been in storage. The gelcoat is shiny because the owner garaged it. The wall is not saging at present because of non use.

I phoned Lance to see what they had to say. I spoke with ________ and he said "it was no rumor, Lance knows the wall sag is due to a design defect" and that I should get it "repaired" before it sags. Quote: "they all need to be fixed". I asked if it was a warranty issue (I would be the second owner), he said that Lance has been repairing a lot of second owners campers and to talk with the service (warranty) manager, Jim Allan (661-949-3322 ex 235).

Mr Allan said "NO", it is out of OEM warranty and to get lost. I asked that since the unit has been sitting would they consider a limited time 'warranty' since this seems to be a common problem and might sag once the camper is put into use. He said no, Lance will not now or ever warranty the frame sag.

Lance obviously wants their product to get a bad reputation.

I just thought you all might like to know. Call Jim if you dont believe me.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/16323474.cfm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #2

We're looking at a 2002 Lance 1121. A search here and on Google brought up the issue of the wall sagging below the slide out. Lance has been fixing the problem with a peiece of angle steel.

The TC we are looking at has the plastic on the carpet and 16 hours on the genset and obviously has been in storage. The gelcoat is shiny because the owner garaged it. The wall is not saging at present because of non use.

I phoned Lance to see what they had to say. I spoke with ________ and he said "it was no rumor, Lance knows the wall sag is due to a design defect" and that I should get it "repaired" before it sags. Quote: "they all need to be fixed". I asked if it was a warranty issue (I would be the second owner), he said that Lance has been repairing a lot of second owners campers and to talk with the service (warranty) manager, Jim Allan (661-949-3322 ex 235).

Mr Allan said "NO", it is out of OEM warranty and to get lost. I asked that since the unit has been sitting would they consider a limited time 'warranty' since this seems to be a common problem and might sag once the camper is put into use. He said no, Lance will not now or ever warranty the frame sag.

Lance obviously wants their product to get a bad reputation.

I just thought you all might like to know. Call Jim if you dont believe me.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/16323474.cfm

Old 02-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Beddows in RVnet made a good observation:

"people who buy TC's usually buy them so they can go into the boonies up rough roads, not coddle them like those with 5th wheels & motorhomes."

IWD
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #4

And your point?

As far as I am concerned anyone thinking that a manufacturer should guarantee them a warranty on a unit they don't even own, is, well, silly, to be polite.

Ak, who thinks that if one called as the owner (and actually had a problem)the response would be different.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #5

I guess what I was thinking is that a slide out on a slide-in camper might be pushing the technology a bit...I read in the link provided that sagging was/is a problem; I guess we need to hear from more owners on this issue.

It would be interesting to know to what extent the camper mfg with slide out features test their units. It seemed that about 4-5 years ago a slide out camper appeared....and then all or most mfg jumped on the bandwagon.

IVER