Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
Leveling/Stabilization Jacks Mounted On Truck Frame

Has anyone installed scissor jacks or some other type of jack to their truck frame for 3-point leveling and stabilization? Thinking about doing something like this as opposed to driving on boards etc. I'm concerned about losing any ground clearance from permanently mounted jacks, and also their accessibility if they're tucked too far up on the chassis. What else should I consider?

keithmaryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Carry jacks you can position under the truck and lift it enough to level and stabilize tires and springs. Permanently mounting scissors jacks require lots of attention to keep greased and active.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
I've used boards for the last 30+ years and they have worked fine for me. I have 4 2X6 planks with tapered ends and 2 of them are a little shorter than the other 2 so I can stack them if I need to. Very seldom, and only if that was the only way possible to get level, I have lowered the corner camper jacks and lifted enough with them to level the camper but only if that was possible without lifting the camper off the truck bed.

The hazard in using the camper jacks, or any other jacking system, is that driving away with them down is a possibility. For me it would be more like a probability.:-)) If I did something like you are suggesting, I would also include a warning of some kind in the truck to alert me when the jacks were still down.

It will be interesting to find out what others have done, and what you decide to do.

Thanks for starting this thread.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Thanks Bob...storage space is at a premium which is one reason I am thinking about actually mounting the jacks. your point on maintaining them is well taken, and I would have to add this to my preventive maintenance list...
Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. Using boards for leveling no doubt works well as many truck camper owners happily use this method. I'm just exploring other methods that may be more convenient (no storing dirty boards, no need to drive on to boards, etc.) and something that offers both leveling and stability.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
I've used Try-Lynx leveling blocks for years. Like big logos. Easy to store, use, and as they don't soak up water, light weight.
One cold mount a set of power gear auto levelers, tucked into the frame rails of a truck .
It would be a rather expensive and fairly heavy system. It would eliminate the need for blocs.
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
Trying to stay away from heavy and expensive, hence my thoughts on mounting scissor jacks. Still hoping someone has already done this or has seen something similar so I can hear how it worked out.

jacks, leveling