Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #15

Northstar is another camper to look in to if you want one with no slides. Bigfoot is also okay if you are under 6' tall but cramped for those of us that are taller.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #16
laj

yup, thats what i bought.
got it from kevin.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Northstar is another camper to look in to if you want one with no slides. Bigfoot is also okay if you are under 6' tall but cramped for those of us that are taller.
If you can track down a 3000 series it's bigger. Hubby is 6.1 . We finally found one last year and bought it. It's 8ft5in wide. Last build year was 2008
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #18

We definitely want to buy new and in Michigan, that limits us. Many of the campers available out west are not near us. We looked at several AF and Lance campers yesterday including the aforementioned 1172.

At this time we are leaning towards the AF 1140. It fits our needs and budget about the best. Although the interior looks a little more glamorous we did not see the benefit of the Lance. We still need to sell our 5er before we buy so we will continue to shop.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
We definitely want to buy new and in Michigan, that limits us. Many of the campers available out west are not near us. We looked at several AF and Lance campers yesterday including the aforementioned 1172.

At this time we are leaning towards the AF 1140. It fits our needs and budget about the best. Although the interior looks a little more glamorous we did not see the benefit of the Lance. We still need to sell our 5er before we buy so we will continue to shop.
Deep Pockets for a truck camper - might just be the highest $$$ per square foot around??????????

One of my early Campers was a truck camper (50 years ago )- oh how they have changed and OH How Expensive they Are!

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Deep Pockets for a truck camper - might just be the highest $$$ per square foot around??????????

One of my early Campers was a truck camper (50 years ago )- oh how they have changed and OH How Expensive they Are!

JMHO,
They are definitely more expensive per square foot than a TT or 5er but they still need many of the same items, regardless of square footage; furnace, sink, plumbing, water pump, holding tanks, electronics, fridge, stove, microwave, jacks, bed, dinette, A/C.

I fully know the drill. started traveling with my parents in truck campers in 1964. Spent a month traveling to Alaska in 1969 with a 10ft Wolverine, mom, dad, 2 teenage boys and a Golden Retriever, all with a standard cab truck.

My wife and I had a 11 1/2 ft back in the early 90's and then migrated to motorhomes and 5th wheels. We are content to scale down.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 AM   #21

Truck camper

We have a 1977 wolverine TC that we bought new when our kids were small. We used it quite a bit until boys and girls (kids) got in the way. I then used it for a hunting unit for several years. One concern for us now (ages 72 and 73) is the space or lack there of. In the last couple of years we made one summer trip of 4 weeks, one trip of 6 weeks, and one trip of 2 weeks with several weekend trips thrown in. I did major repair work after a leak in roof and as stated in another response it is a big job. We still use ours but are looking to little more room. Happy camping.. One thing to consider is the carrying vehicle.
RtdDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricater View Post
As I have aged I don’t really like to tow

Truck campers can be a nuisance to some folks since they sit so high off the ground. There's twice as many steps to get in them compared to a towable, plus you are always climbing in and out of the cabover bed.
Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #23

Both of ours had 3 steps to get into the camper, although I have seen pictures of campers with more. That's about 1 step less than both of our MHs, and both campers were on 4wd 3/4 ton trucks.

We only get into the bed once in the morning and once in the evening. The step that covers the water tank makes that pretty easy. However, it is definitely more difficult than getting into the bed of our class A MHs.

Although I've never had one, I read a thread a few days ago about getting into the overhead bed of a C MH which sounded more difficult than a camper.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #24

Our camper floor starts above the pickup bed rails so getting in out of bed is almost the same height as a residential bed. This gives us a large basement under the floor but does require more steps into and out of the camper.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
They are definitely more expensive per square foot than a TT or 5er but they still need many of the same items, regardless of square footage; furnace, sink, plumbing, water pump, holding tanks, electronics, fridge, stove, microwave, jacks, bed, dinette, A/C.

I fully know the drill. started traveling with my parents in truck campers in 1964. Spent a month traveling to Alaska in 1969 with a 10ft Wolverine, mom, dad, 2 teenage boys and a Golden Retriever, all with a standard cab truck.

My wife and I had a 11 1/2 ft back in the early 90's and then migrated to motorhomes and 5th wheels. We are content to scale down.
Yes, more expensive per sq.ft. From what I've seen, a good truck camper will last longer and have a higher resale value than other RV's. Maintenance costs are much lower - no special drive train, tire, or undercarriage maintenance.
jboerger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #26
laj

You can do lots more with a p/u camper. i’ve used mine more than the other 2.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #27

Lance has gone way downhill on quality after they hired Fleetwood's truck camper designer. Fleetwood's stuff was 100% pure garbage, so it's easy to see how it happened. When I was shopping for a camper, I stepped into a Lance 975 and despite only weighing 170 lbs I could feel the floor flexing under my feet.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #28

I didn't think the "92 11.5' Fleetwood Caribou we had for 23 years and 200k+ miles was garbage, we liked it a lot. The only problem was a leaky rubber roof that I corrected by replacing it with aluminum from front to back.

The floor would flex if not supported, but it was only constructed of pretty thin ply on each side of an inch or so of foam for insulation. It was fine while in the truck and at home when it was off I supported it at each end with a 4X4 supported by jack stands. I just knew what was and treated it accordingly.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote