Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Made the adventure starting point

This was taken on our way home with our new to us 1998 fleetwood caribou 11m camper. My ram 3500 drw squated about 4" with her loaded. I'm probley going to put on air bags. The 3.4 kw genny runs great and even thoe it is heavy the handleing was not a problem. The load capacity on the ram is 4806 pounds with ppl and load so I'm not overloaded. Looking forward to having fun with it.😎

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

this is the picture i hope

Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

Nice setup.
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Looks good to me.
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Good luck and have fun with it.

On our '99 Adventurer I plan on pulling the trim and resealing. I believe the RV industry's sealing is only good for the length of the payments,by which time the rot will require you to purchase a new unit. On ours the back corners have rot, but that seems universal. I don't think it will be much to repair.

I just love the RV industry's model numbering. Built in January of '98 so it's '99 model.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #6

We've had a '92 Caribou similar to Richandtd,s, except ours has a 2kw gen and crossways sleeping, since '93. During that time I've replaced the rubber roof with aluminum, rebuilt the back and front because of wood decay, as well as numerous other smaller items I don't remember as well. That being said, we have carried the camper over 200k miles with a '89 Dodge Cummins W250 standard cab all over the lower US and Alaska. The Dodge has had it's many problems over the years too, but overall they have been a great combination to travel long distance in as well as a lot of boondocking for fishing, hunting, and exploring. At 285k the Cummins has been bulletproof requiring nothing but routine maintenance, starter, and gen. I will say the camper begins to feel pretty small after a month or so. The last 10 or 15 years we have towed a Samurai and later a Tracker behind it. Before and during that time we also towed various other trailers, including once across the US towing a 24' 10' high enclosed car hauling trailer. That one was a bit much as we were in 4th gear almost as much as we were in 5th with a limit of about 60mph before "tail wagging" began.

Although our roof problem was much earlier and pretty extensive, it was only Fall of '14 that I had to address the rear after the bumper was about to fall off and the lower front in the Spring of '15, although I did do occasional inspections followed by sealing and other preventive measures.

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you have at least as many wonderful experiences with it as we have had with ours.

Steve
Old 12-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #7

Downwindtrac, part of rebuilding the rear of our camper required me to replace the 2X2,s (really about 1.5X1.5) on both sides up to about 3' from the top as well as both lower sides and all the lower structure across the back. If all you have to do are the 2x2s, probably the most difficult part will be getting to them. For our repairs I had remove several windows, the door including frame, and several covers in order to pull the skin back enough to gain access to the damaged wood, but I'm thinking our damage was much more extensive than yours and yours will be easier. I will say if you remove screws and wood structure supporting the floor, do not in an unguarded moment decide to enter the camper by waking on the floor or you will most likely regret it, as I did.

Best of luck with the repairs. If I can be of help just holler.

Steve
Old 12-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #8

Thanks Steve. You never know what you'll find. Years ago we had a old 8' hardtop tent trailer, I bought it with a income tax return cheque . It was poorly designed , the flat top had Two folded seams across. Of course it leaked. When I pulled the trim, some rotten wood fell between the plywood and the aluminum skin. So I started the compressor and blew it out. I ended up four pieces of plywood 6"x6". And a weekend job.

Tags
vent