Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Angry Mexico stops us with truck camper!

MEXICO PROHIBITS ENTRY OF TRUCK CAMPERS

Truck Campers are now prohibited entry into Mexico. We tried to travel into Mexico with our Lance Camper, and the customs office told us "ALL CAMPERS ON A PICKUP TRUCK OVER 1/2 TON ARE PROHIBITED".

We have traveled many many years with our camper, and now all campers (except a very small 1/2 T) are not given a temporary entrance permit by the SAT (Mexico Customs Office), they told us this was being enforced at all the border crossings.

What a shame, especially if you traveled across the country only to arrive at the US/Mexico border and have your trip STOPPED!
SoAmerRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
WOW!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Motorhomes and travel trailers ok

Motorhomes and travel trailers are not affected by this law, only TRUCK CAMPERS ....
Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

that is just nuts!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And the reason is?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
And the reason is?
The only thing I can come up with is......
They don't want the Gringo's to sell their big slide in campers in MX and the Mexican Government not collect the duty tax...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

This was certainly the case about a year ago and was widely discussed over on the Mexico forum of https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...tings/forum/66 but it was supposed to have been resolved by an order from aduana head office.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

A friend of mine was just there with his over Thanksgiving with no issues. This was at the Lukeville, AZ crossing.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

We just came over at Nogales with our 3/4 ton truck with camper. Not a problem!!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

There is a FB group that is consistently reporting no issues when entering Mexico with truck campers or 1-ton trucks pulling TT's and 5th wheels. . Several Truck/Camper folks posted in just the last week that they had no issues and are now On The Road In Mexico. I know there were issues being reported a year ago but non as of late.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #11

First, this has nothing to do with the camper. It is the truck. Trucks over 1/2 ton (actually over 3.5 tons GVWR) were being considered commercial vehicles, and in general commercial vehicles are not allowed into Mexico by foreign private owners. Same issue holds true for truck towing a travel trailer, 5th wheel, or even just driving the truck in by itself.

This is/was not being enforced uniformly. Good chance if you tried another boarder crossing location you would get through. I am in Mexico now, and see lots of 1 ton trucks from the states and Canada (I think most entered via Nogales).

As others have posted, I think this was a temporary problem and clarifications have been issued to Mexican customs (Aduana). I think issue was that requirements really should have read 3.5 ton net cargo capacity versus 3.5 GVWR.

BTW this does not apply to motorhomes, only trucks.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 AM   #12

Mexico Border Entry with larger Pickups & Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperVer View Post
First, this has nothing to do with the camper. It is the truck. Trucks over 1/2 ton (actually over 3.5 tons GVWR) were being considered commercial vehicles, and in general commercial vehicles are not allowed into Mexico by foreign private owners. Same issue holds true for truck towing a travel trailer, 5th wheel, or even just driving the truck in by itself.

This is/was not being enforced uniformly. Good chance if you tried another boarder crossing location you would get through. I am in Mexico now, and see lots of 1 ton trucks from the states and Canada (I think most entered via Nogales).

As others have posted, I think this was a temporary problem and clarifications have been issued to Mexican customs (Aduana). I think issue was that requirements really should have read 3.5 ton net cargo capacity versus 3.5 GVWR.

BTW this does not apply to motorhomes, only trucks.
The border issue is still hovering at some borders! I have just returned from a Mexico, Central America, and South America
"scouting trip" to update border crossings and road information
We entered at the PHARR-Reynosa crossing from Texas, and we sent to the Aduana supervisor because we had a F250 and F350 Truck with camper. We were told that these vehicles were not permitted into Mexico. Afterwards, we were told there is a option of paying $300 SPECIAL EXEMPTION charge, and the permits would be issued. We were issued a 180 day permit and on our way.

Another RVer who we met later in Guatemala, said he was charged $100 at the same border crossing, he was pulling a trailer with a F250, and on his way to Costa Rica.

We did the trip south to Columbia and Chile, and there are no other border crossing that present a problem. Also the Mexico officials stated that when we bring the trek group together at this border we will not have a problem. The highways across Mexico have some bad areas (about 120 miles total), but generally acceptable - it is the country of "TOPES" or speed bumps, for which you have to plan to go a shorter distance those days. Our group will be traveling to Argentina and Brazil leaving the US in September this year. I put this info on the adventuretrek site.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #13

I'm a little late to the party, but...we are frequent Baja travelers, usually cross the border at the Tecate crossing. I've never had an issue crossing with my GMC 2500HD with a pop up camper in it. Last trip was last week of May for the Baja 500.

I can't imagine that it mattered, but I hate badges on my cars, all of the model ID badges/logos have been removed. Still, it's easy enough to count lug nuts and know that it's at least a 3/4 ton.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #14

VIN Numbers

They go by the VIN NUMBER, this indicates if it is a 150, 250, 350 or whatever!
I just traveled through Mexico to Guatemala, and it is still in effect, however I had my vehicle classification (a f350 pickup with camper) changed to a "motorhome " on my texas title, so there was no problem, I received 10 years permission on the Mexico Importation Papers....about $59 usd