Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2003, 04:37 PM   #29

Dewdo, Thanks for the explanation. I'll admit I don't like seeing my Lance fully extended. When I picked it up the dealer raised it fully with us both inside, sure did not bother him.
Camper is very stable off the truck with Atwoods. I'm guessing that HappiJac jacks may be mechanically different?

Ron

98 3500 Diesel Ram QC 4x4
99 Lance 1110 Slide-On Camper

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2003, 10:43 AM   #30

Ron:
I think the basic difference between Happi Jac and Atwood is the Happi Jac's are square and Atwood's are round. I have much more confidence in a round configuration than I do a square one. When mine collapsed it was the fold out bracket that caused the problem, but I still don't trust those flimsy looking things holding up over 5,000 lbs. If one collapses the camper goes on the ground. With the Stable Lift it isn't and can't collapse and drop the camper on the ground. Those pipes are mighty strong!

Dewdo in the other Washington

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with cummins diesel, Automatic, 4:10, BD exhaust brake, Auto Loc, DTT TC/VB, VA Box, Boost module/elbow, 4" exhaust, 14 cm turbo housing + All goodies including leather.
1992 King Of the Road fiver, 2000 11.5 Arctic Fox slide in with all the goodies. Stalbe Lift jack system.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:15 PM   #31

Just had to hop in here and give my impression of stable lift.

Got it last spring. as for the $$ we were getting a new truck, had the hydrolic jacks yuk! it was either get electric jacks, and tiedowns. figured we were almost to the $ value of Stable lift.

All I can say is WOW, don't know how we ever went without it!! No more hauling around wood and cinder blocks ect to off load the camper at the site. It is all there.

We have found that we can off load/level the camper in less time than we used to spend just leveling it without taking it off!

As for it looking like it has a girdle on... 2 things, we have a dark truck, so we went with a color change, and had them powder coat it black. doesn't look so bad now. (wishe the motors were black too.) the other is we may look dorky going down the road, but we sure look cool when we off load the camper and go explore.

When we upgrade the camper (read when the truck is paid off ) we are planning on re-using Stable lift, and selling the camper with the old jacks.

Can't really compare it to electric jacks, since I only had hydrolic, but it seems to me I saw somewhere that you are only supposed to do 2 jacks a a time, toggling it. (correct me if I am wrong) With Stable lift the camper goes strait up and down, no toggling. Glad it's out there, thanks Mont!

Just my thoughts

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/dbkennel/2500HD.html" TARGET=_blank>2002 Chevy 2500HD 4X4, 9200# GVWR, 6.0L, Auto, 4.10 axle.
1990 9 1/2 RealLite Camper, Stable-Lift</A>
dbkennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:01 AM   #32

Art,

You also forgot one disadvantage: Reduced ground clearance. If you go off road, you'd need to be extra careful to avoid dragging the Stablelift. Granted, this is not a concern for most users, but some of us go into very rugged terrain occasionally.

Harald

2000 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat V10 with Alpenlite Pendelton 11'10" camper. Torklift tie-downs and Superhitch, Firestone Ride Rite air springs and Rancho RS9000 shocks.

Email me at HARALDSTENGER at HOTMAIL dot COM

Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #33

Harald, I was concerned about the ground clearance. From the photo's, it appears to hang low. We have 11 1/2" of clearance. I figure if I need more clerance than that, the camper shouldn't be there.

The only thing I look for is when on a back road, I adjust my mirror to look at the rear bar of Stable lift. Going thru some of those washes it comes close. I have not had to stop due to clearance...yet, but have had to turnaround several times for height. no, I'm not the type to get out the chainsaw inorder to get my rig thru a mt rd.

I figure if I do come across a wash that I cannot clear, I might (depending on how bad I want thru) throw some wood etc in the bottom of the ditch to make a ramp of sorts. But like I said, no problems... so far.

I have heard of guys ripping the jacks right off the camper going thru the washes, so now matter what the setup, you need to watch out.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/dbkennel/2500HD.html" TARGET=_blank>2002 Chevy 2500HD 4X4, 9200# GVWR, 6.0L, Auto, 4.10 axle.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #34

Hey you guys who have had atwood electric jacks with dually brackets....who went to stable lift... does the stable lift eliminate the side to side (rocking motion) when noticable when laying on the
overhead bed with camper off the truck and not shored up in any way, when people move around the cabin. Would you estimate it is eliminated period, 90% and so on... Some day I get to try one out...just a matter of time... Thanks...

00 F350 4x4 Auto DRW CC PSD, 01 Elkhorn 11X
Old 01-20-2003, 06:22 PM   #35

saxeT, there is NO rocking or sway at all when you install the stabilizer struts. (takes an extra minute). I noticed that you're in Pittsburg. You've got an open invitation to come down to DC and check out mine. -Jaseun
Old 01-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #36

Thanks Jaseun, I may take you up on that offer next time we are out that way... The system looks intresting... Just gotta save up some cash....
tough to do these days.. CEO's are gettin little
tight, keep cutting our pay.... taking vacation away... sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you....

00 F350 4x4 Auto DRW CC PSD, 01 Elkhorn 11X
Old 01-24-2003, 04:09 AM   #37

I've got an older VHS tape made by Stable-Lift. I got it prior to purchasing a unit about 7 years ago. I have since sold the older Sun-Lite on which I instaleed the Stable-Lift. If anyone would like the tape, e-mail me & I'll be happy to send it to you.wjcoomes0313@ameritech.net
Old 01-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #38

[QUOTE]

Stable lift is the answer I've been looking for. I finished my installation today and had the opprotunity to unload the camper from my truck.
/QUOTE]
Just curious, how did the installation go? Also, what make camper and truck did you install it on. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #39

I have a 2000 Ford F250 long bed. Camper is a 72 Coachmen Lamplighter 10 1/2 foot. The install went well. I highly recommend having a helper. Buy two or three carbide drill bits for drilling the tubes. I broke two in the process. Measure twice, drill once! I got the side mount adapters for the saddle brackets which only require a 3/8" hole instead of a 3/4" hole in the frame. Any more questions? -Jaseun
Old 01-29-2003, 07:59 AM   #40

Jaseun, thanks for the info, I think I will be trying it out. I might have a question or two after I purchase. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #41

RVRD,
Istalled ours last spring, When you go to drill, use some 3-in-one lubricating oil to keep the bits cool. Your bits will be alot happier (and last longer) if they stay cool. I went thru a bunch of bits before I discovered this. I was down to one cheap bit, which did most of the work because I slowed down, and kept the bit cool.

I also got the side mount adapters for the saddle brackets, which are a must in my book.

The idea of measure twice, drill once is great advice!

good luck on your install

Old 01-29-2003, 04:38 PM   #42

dbkennel, thank you for the input. I have played with this idea for a long time, but you guys have really instilled some confidence to tackle it once and for all.