Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2003, 06:42 AM   #57

Mike A.

I have the same truck, 2001 Dodge Dually and a 9T Elkhorn Camper. I am wondering the same thing. How wide does this unit have to be to clear the rear fenders? I sure like the concept, I just am having trouble with the way it looks when it's on the truck. Maybe it grows on you after a while. Keep us posted when it arrives and you have it installed. Good Luck.

Russ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #58

I just went out and measured mine and it is about 102" wide. I have the older dually model. The person I bought it from had a Chevy dually PU and he had no trouble loading it at all.

As far as getting around with it on the truck, the stand sits much higher tha the differential and the axle of the truck, so if you drive over an obstruction high enough to hit the stand, there is no way your axle is going to make it over and your front axle will definitely hit first.

The only thing I've had to be cognizant of is on one lane dirt roads, (essentially four wheel drive trails) such as going back into hunting camp, and it's just a matter of watching for rocks or stumps on the side of the road and steering around them. I have never had a problem, nor do I ever expect to.

Adk Rebel

Old 03-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #59

rpcock,

Yup, it grows on you after a while. Especially once you've used it and wondered why you never looked into one before. It's actually a pleasure to load and unload. And being able to use the truck camper as a stand alone camping unit without all of the blocks, boards, supports or any other stuff other slide-in owners use when their camper is off the truck is a luxury, whether you set the camper up 12 inches off of the ground or 3 feet off of the ground.

SaxeT,

This thing is remarkably stable when off the truck. I've said this before, it would take a wind strong enough to lift the camper off of the ground to move it. Once it's set up you can rock all you want in the overhead and it doesn't move.

Adk Rebel
Old 03-02-2003, 12:42 AM   #60

Who would want to rock all they can in the bunk?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:21 AM   #61

Old 03-02-2003, 09:23 PM   #62

Besides the tubing, obvious for stability ? It seems to be a three jack system. What type of jack do they use, screw, hydraulic, ?

98 3500 Diesel Ram QC 4x4
99 Lance 1110 Slide-On Camper
Old 03-03-2003, 02:06 AM   #63

Electric screw.

Adk Rebel
Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #64

has anyone used the stable lift with a bigfoot 3000 on a dually, if so can you tell me how you like it?

thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #65

My firsthand experience with an Atwood jack colapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF1063 View Post
Dewdo,
Your making it sound as if the latest remote control jack systems are outdated junk ?
I've yet to encounter any problems loading or unloading my 11.5 Lance and I have never heard of anyone reporting that an Attwood screw jack has collapsed. Are your jacks/tubes a carryover from some NASA space program ?

Ron

98 3500 Diesel Ram QC 4x4
99 Lance 1110 Slide-On Camper

Ron,

Last September I was taking my Lance 1160 off my truck, I jacked it up on it's factory installed Atwoods, pulled the truck out and started to lower the camper. The driver's side front jack quit working electrically, so I inserted the hand crank and turned. The jack colapsed completely, the camper tipped over onto me pinning me between the camper and our retaining wall along side our driveway. I was very lucky, an off duty fireman was driving by and heard my wife's screams for help. I was life flighted to the trauma center where they determined I had 3 cracks in my pelvis and a broken tailbone. I almost died.

After my stay in the rehab hospital, we bought the Stablelift jacking system for our camper and had it installed. The only thing I don't like about the system is the U brackets hanging under the truck...I've hit mounds with them, but they haven't bent yet. Our Lance fully loaded with water and fuel is about 4K lbs....If you have a camper that is over 3K, IMHO, it's just a matter of time before they fail one way or another..

I will go back to pulling a trailer before I'll go back to corner jacks on a camper....

You can google my name and read the newspaper accounts of my accident if you like to verify this....(Howard Hendrich, Grass Valley, CA)

Howard
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #66

Reminds me of those walkers old folks use, and boy are they ugly, the corner jacks work fine if your camper is strong enough, I have a lance, I can raise it easily with 3 of the 4 jacks, I don't see the need for training wheels.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #67

Stablelift

I had Mont and his crew install my lift a couple of years ago. I live in my camper and have set up on all types of terrain. No problems! I've been on some very uneven ground and in my worst cases I've used jack pads to even up the ground. Works like a dream. As far as comparisons to corner jacks, there is none. Ever have a jack collapse on you? Not fun! The price might scare you away, but if you use your camper like I do, it is a must investment. The only thing you have to watch is if you have your camper off and run down your battery, you get to hand crank your stablelift.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #68

My husband bought the Stabil lift system for our previous camper a Lance 1181, he spent hours installing it according to all the information we received and after multiple phone calls to the company it was finally installed. It never worked th way they claimed and was just as unstable as the Atwood jacks. A total waste of money. We called the company to complain and request our money back, but once you buy it you own it. So think twice before you purchase.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #69

We own a 1998 Caribou 11' that we bought used several years ago. It came with a stable lift. No idea when the Stable Lift. was installed, but the actual camper is in one of the company brochures. My best guess is that it is at least 10 years old. We had an old (76) TC with those good ol' the crank up jacks that took about 30 minutes and 1/4 of my energy to get the camper off the truck. I experience failures with his jacks twice - the last time narrowly avoiding being crushed by the camper it fell. The stable lift has been fantastic. Easy on, easy off, and rock solid when off the truck. (I wish our fifth wheel felt as solid.) Last March one of the jacks quit extending all the way. Emailed the company and Mont called back the next day. His helpful advice aided us in getting it back in working order. We are now considering purchase of an Arctic Fox. If we buy it you can bet we will travel out to have Mont and his crew install a new Stable Lift.