Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

My TC as a 5th Wheel

This idea has been floating around in my head for over a year now. When I saw what a couple of others had already done with this concept, I decided it was time to make it happen. There are still some small enhancements left to do like putting on storage containers, but it is essentially ready to use and I plan on doing just that this coming week as we are going to the Huntsman World Senior Games on Saturday and will be using the new unit until the following Friday at Sand Hollow State Park near Hurricane, UT.

I went to Big Bubba Trailers in Ogden, UT and asked them to custom build a gooseneck trailer to carry my Lance 992 TC. They didnít see a problem since they had already done such a project for Big Bubba himself. It took about 3 weeks to construct and finish and they were 4 days past the original requested finish date of last week Friday. Partly my fault as I wasnít real clear about what I wanted with regard to the TC plug wiring and connection to the truck. That matters little at this point, because itís done and sitting in my driveway at home in time to load up for departure on Saturday morning. And donít cha want to see the mostly finished result?

Curb side full

Street side full

Curb side front angle

Curb side rear angle

Street side rear angle

Front storage box area

Curb side storage box area

Street side storage box area

Right now Iím thinking about getting some diamond plate boxes custom built locally to fit the three storage box areas show above. They will just be 16Ē X 16Ē X 36Ē boxes on the two side areas with two each boxes on either side. Iím not sure yet about what Iíll do with the front area. Iíll have to think on that a bit more.

Now for some weight information. My 2010 Silverado 2500HD w/ the 6.0L engine weighed in at 6400 lbs at a local CAT Scale. The front axle was 3600 lbs and the rear was 2800. The weights could be off by almost 10 pounds because none of the weights every show a tens digit other than zero. With the trailer/TC attached to the truck, the front axle is still reading 3600 lbs. The rear axle went up to 3240 lbs which gives me a king pin weight of 440 lbs sitting on the rear axle.

The specs for my truck are as follows: GVWR = 9200; GAWR FT = 4200; & GAWR RR = 6084. Iím nowhere near exceeding ANY weight ratings for this truck. When the TC sat in my 2008 1-ton dually, the rig came in at 13,200 which was 1800 over the GVWR of 11,400. However, I did NOT exceed either GAWR on that truck Ė go figure.

The trailer axles weighed in at 6840 lbs. Adding the king pin weight of 440 to that will give me a combined trailer/TC total weight of 7280 and the GVWR for the trailer is 10,000. So far weíre good to go.

My truck with the optional 4.10 rear end it has gives me a maximum trailer weight I can pull of 12,300 lbs. When I hook up my 16' Tracker boat (2,400 lbs) to the TC Trailer, Iíll be pulling just under 10,000 lbs down the highway. That leaves me about 2300 pounds plus of cargo (payload) I can put in the truck and my bride and I donít even come close to weighing that much. Iíll have some pictures of the complete triple-tow setup in a couple of days.

Iím not expecting great fuel economy with this set-up, but I do expect that I shouldnít have any undue mechanical stress like I was experiencing with the TC sitting in my previous dually. Now, itís time to bring on the fun. Yíall be safe out there.

dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It never ceases to amaze me what folks can do with a bit of ingenuity and the drive to see a project thru. I read your entire post, and did not see what your reason was for putting the time and money into your project. I have owned a very large truck camper that hung off the back of my truck 4', but the Ford Power-stroke had no problems hauling it around, even while towing our 20' boat. I did put overloads on the Ford, which helped when the load was in, but made the ride a bit rougher when empty. I have also had a small 5er, and since it looks like you are trying to do a combo of the two, what is your reason? Looks great, I hope it works well for you!

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

My reason

For me, and me alone, the task of taking the TC off the truck and then putting it back on the truck at all of the venues we travel to and stay for 4 or 5 days and occasionally more was just more than I was willing to do any more. When fishing, hunting, shooting at out of state Skeet shoots, I didn't like to break camp every time we needed or wanted to go someplace. So we always took the TC off the truck.

A small (20 feet or less) fiver would have worked, but finding a QUALITY fiver that small is next to impossible. The Lance 992 provides the compactness AND quality in one package and setting it up on the trailer allows me to still triple haul just about anywhere we want to go with our fishing boat or quad trailer. And I can pull it all with a gas 3/4 ton truck with no problems at all.

Probably not the first choice of most TC owners, but it works like a champ for us.

dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for that! I would agree about the quality of the small 5er for sure. We never removed our TC from the pickup when camping, not sure why but probably along the lines you mention. I am impressed with your project! Enjoy.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel