Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Need help with TC tie downs.

I have a Palomino Bronco 600 and want to mount it to my 2011 Toyota Tacoma 2WD 4 door Xtra cab. My Tacoma does have factory running boards. I have read all the posts about happijac, torklift, etc. and have visited their sites. They do not offer front brackets for my truck model. Does anyone have suggestions for front tie down brackets. My camper did come with 4 turnbuckles and 2 rear bumper brackets. I did add aux. rear air bags to help with the extra weight and the camper rides nicely over the road.

Thank you.....

srssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Does your truck have running boards on the cab only or do they extend back onto the bed. If they're on the cab only Torklift does have an application for you. Part number T2308 for the front, and T3303 for the back if you have the factory receiver hitch.

Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Time to visit a welding fabricator who can solve your problem. Cutting a large hole in the running boards may be needed to allow jacks to go down. Adding channel iron or square stock may be needed to reinforce an area for front tie down support brackets.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Yes my factory running boards extend back into the bed. Front torklifts won't work. Can't really go for the rears without the fronts. Maybe I do need to see a fabricator. It's a shame someone doesn't offer something for late model Tacomas. The simple bolt on brackets that happijac used to offer for rangers, etc. worked well and were a relatively inexpensive solution.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Suggestion on tie downs

Why you can't use the rear Tork-lifts with out the front is questionable???
I would consider removing the running boards and just get shorter ones and store the long ones or sell them. With truck camper on the back, the running boards extending back to that area are useless.
Something else to consider, to have a truck modified would affect resale and most important: Having the camper secure to truck using the Tork-lifts all around is a matter of safety. If your welder doesn't understand the movement or loads when fabricating, you run the risk of the camper coming off truck. Not to mention you would be liable for damages to others if that happens.
Consider the Troklift fast-gun tie downs also with locks.
Truck campers are fun and mobile, safety should be a priority over anything else.
Just my 2 cents!
2014 Palazzo 33.2 Black Canyon & 08 LanceTC 861S
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, Jensen Beach, FL
FMCA-F437958,Cummins PC,TDC, & LOA
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Thanks Don for the suggestion. I suppose we all have our own thoughts on what is best for our given situations. However, I like the look of my stock running boards and they don't interfere with my camper jacks. I also only use my truck camper occasionally (it spends most of its time off my truck).

I wasn't looking to spend aprox. $1000.00 to tie down my camper and then spend more on another set of running boards. Although my turn buckles are not fast guns (which look very nice by the way), they came with my camper and will work just fine once I have front tie down mounts to attach to.

I am on a budget and was hoping to spend far less on tie downs. For example a set of Happijac front anchor plates for other trucks cost aprox. $100. I do understand however that these are not frame mounted like the tork lifts. If I had a large truck and heavy camper as you do I would want tork lifts!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Try contacting Torklift International, they possibly could help you with finding a solution to the front tie down problem. Good luck in you search.

bens170 is offline   Reply With Quote

need help