Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #15

Wow thanks for the pix on the new 1181. Lance has done a poor job of keeping their website up to date so this is the first I've seen or heard about it. The photos are great!

The 1181 is the one I've been waiting for. Fortunately I have no money so I'm stuck waiting at least a year. That's fine, because I have a few nitpicks with this thing that I'd like to tell Lance about...

First, I prefer my microwave above the stove, and I want a REAL propane oven like my current Lance. I do not like nor want a combo convection oven/microwave.

Second, I don't care for what they've done at the head of the bed. It looks very drab. I also don't like the left side of the bed area. I'd rather have full cabinets on both sides instead of that silly little "table" shelf thing.

The rear awning is nice but I don't see it lasting long in any kind of wind. I do prefer that style though and would prefer it on the side of the unit as well (I'm sure it's an option).

I would have liked to see them make it 11'11" long like the 1161 and have a larger wardrobe and bathroom.

Where is the battery box? Is it dual batteries? I sure hope so.

I love the pass-thru storage. I'd put extra batteries down there because that new "lip" sticking out on the underside of the camper eliminates any chance of keeping extra batteries in the fenderwell area of the truck.

It's definitely nice, but there are some shortcomings. At least it gives me a reason to continue to wait.

Rob

- 05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 AM   #16

Rob, you can order the 'real' propane oven instead of the convection. We had a convection in our class A and liked it. You also gain storage with it. The bathroom is much larger in real life than it looks in the pictures. It has a dual slide-out battery box in the top of the utility bay. I don't think I would want it 11'11", it's already heavy enough. There are few things that we would change also, but we haven't seen a 'perfect for us' camper yet. I think you would like it when you get a chance to look at one. The interior space is amazing that pictures don't show.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #17

Talk about a brainfart... it didn't occur to me until after I made my post here that the 1181 is still a rear-entry model. DUH. I'm still waiting for the side-entry version, which I know exists, because I've seen some exterior photos of it. Just a matter of time before they "announce" it and we find out a model number (1191? 12xx?).

BTW, saw a 981 on a Duramax on the way back from Mammoth last night. It was filling up and I was passing by so I only got a glimpse of it. Nice!

Rob

Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 AM   #18

The Lance rep said a side entry model and a short-box model will be next in the Max series. Probably next year. If the floor length of the Max side-entry is longer yet like the 1161, it will be very heavy.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #19

I hate to rain on anyones parade here but the 1181 Max has some serious issues that need addressing....
I had a chance to crawl over/under and inside this unit and here is what I came up with...

1.. When the room in in the Close Position Lance gives you 11&3/4 inches to get into the camper
2.. Once inside(Room Closed) you have to reach over the sink to an upper cabinet to turn a key to open the room
3..Lets say you get into the Camper(room closed) and want to use the bathroom,Lance gives you 9&3/4 inches to get pass the room and into the bathroom
4..For all You lance owners who like Myself had the DeLam issues with that lower wing (1121)Lance now put it on a hinge..BUT look closely at the gasket that goes around that door,it has huge gaps(it is not a 1 piece continous gasket) where water can and will get in...if you want you stuff down there getting wet than its not an issue...while at it check out the galvy side walls..they are so flimsy I bent one grabbingit to pull myself up,and Im not talking a little kink here...
5..Metal roof is OUT---Rubber Roof is IN
6..Generac is OUT---Onan is IN
7..That fancy Dump Valve Arrangement------Look Closely,you are actually pulling a remote cable tied to the actual Black & Gray Dump valves....The problem now becomes this----lets say your cable BREAKS--YOU are not physically able to reach either of the dump valves to manually close them,nor is there an axcess cover to get at them....I know I tried..
8..Kitchen sink is SMALLER than the one in my 1121
9..Did you notice that Microwave/Convection unit under the cook/top..the one that takes the place of a regular propane stove...Think about this people its 120 volts,you now need to purchase a 3000 plus dollar Gen/Set to run this Convection stove..AND nor did I see a 120 volt plug up in the upper cabinet where a conventional Microwave would normally go so you could go with a propain stove/cooktop unit....

This is just what I found out in the first 45 minuets of looking...

Does Lance think they can slap a Lance Logo on a Camper and WE the BUYING public are going to flock to the dealers and purchase them

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE THAT.
Mike Tassinari
Old 10-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #20

Mike:

Wow, interesting observations. Since I haven't had a chance to see any of the MAX models in person, I hadn't noticed any of that stuff. Now I'm eager to check them out myself to see what else I might find.

It's disappointing that Lance would have so many shortcomings in this new series. It makes me hope they make the current models aluminum frame and otherwise leave 'em alone; in that case I'd get an 1161 and be done with it.

Rob

Old 10-20-2004, 05:11 AM   #21

Mike, I have been talking to a guy who bought an 1181 and have been actually using it. They said the space with the slide-in is not an issue. Neither is the key for the slide for them. You can order it with the propane oven if you do not like convection. The roof is NOT rubber. It's TPO. Everyone has different opinions on this camper. We really liked it.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #22

Hi Everyone....

Well favarcat all I can say the person thatr has One of the 1181 MUST be on the skinney side...For us more "Modest" R/V owners..hehehe its a problem.To lay out that kind of bucks and have to struggle to get into the darn thing is not my idea of an R/V unit..

I do not think I have to remind you Lance Owners of the Model Lance made in 2001..That was the year Lance came out with 3 slide outs.It was that middle one that you were unable to get into the camper with/out opening up the room....Lance dealers could not GIVE them away...Lance learned their lession and re/designed the floor plan

Mike Tassinari
Old 10-21-2004, 04:34 AM   #23

I guess that's why they make different shape models for different shape people. Everyone has different opinions on makes and models. All I'm saying is, if the 1181 does not fit your needs, you are really not raining on everyones parade. It is just not the right model for you. We have also looked at it very closely, and we think it's great for us and will most likely be ordering one this winter.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #24

I've now seen the 1181 in person, with the slide out and the slide in. It would not keep me from buying this unit. It's so easy to bump the slide out a few inches to get to the bathroom if needed that it's just not a big deal. Heck, I can squeeze through just fine... but if you can't, just open the slide 3-6" and you're set. Takes a couple of extra seconds.

I would gladly have to do this for the amount of floorspace available. This camper is amazing.

Rob

Old 02-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #25

FYI
Lance has moved the slide out key from above the kitchen sink to the side of the cabinet. As soon as you open the door it is accessable from outside. This is a mid year change to the 2005 model line up. I am not sure but I would guess it was done for the 881 and the 981.