Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:08 AM   #15

as you can see in my signature, I have a 10.6 bigfoot. I have both a 3500 ram dually and a F250. both are 4x4 extended cabs and have load range E tires. but would not even consider putting the 10.6 on the F250. the ram carries the camper without the overload springs touching. the ram mirrors are wider than the rear fenders.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2004, 03:47 AM   #16
JJ

I have a Bigfoot 25C10.6 as well and carry it with a 1-ton dually, stock suspension except for Rancho 9000's.

I went through the agonizing decisions about SRW and DRW myself when upgrading from a 2500 ext cab short box after we had decided to get a big camper like the Bigfoot. I finally decided on the dually because it really isn't width that's as much of a PITA as the lenghth. I just choose parking spots a little more carefuly, but again, it's more because of the length.

-jj

Old 11-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #17

I dont know about Chev. and Dodge but Ford make a short box dually that is cool. i have always had short boxes and would have bought the dual if I would have known about it. My single rear wheel hauls my S&S very well but it would be nice to have the extra wheels. Scotty.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #18

With all things being equal. ie carrying capacity what would be more suited to hauling a 11.5' slide in?

Chris
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
cfoye,

The Lance dealer near me will not put a camper that size on a single rear wheel truck.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #20

Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually,Dually, dually.

Is that clear enough.

Tom

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
TJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #21

I don't know about the Ferds and the Chebbys but the SRW 1 ton Dodge has the exact same drive line as the dually. Put some 19.5 wheels and tires on it to bring up rating to 4500 lbs per tire and you can haul as much as the dually without the pain of too wide to park, it will fit in the garage, will not spin out on wet grass, better traction on snowy roads, fit between the trees off road, won't get rocks stuck between rear tires when off road.......
Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #22

Flashman-

I'm gonna bet your right. But, the question about stability around corners and all, in my mind, is paramount. Untill you have driven a camper with BOTH, you'll never understand the feeling of comfort and a sense of peace. Honest.

Tom

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
Old 01-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flashman:
I don't know about the Ferds and the Chebbys but the SRW 1 ton Dodge has the exact same drive line as the dually. Put some 19.5 wheels and tires on it to bring up rating to 4500 lbs per tire and you can haul as much as the dually without the pain of too wide to park, it will fit in the garage, will not spin out on wet grass, better traction on snowy roads, fit between the trees off road, won't get rocks stuck between rear tires when off road....... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like someone who has never owned a dually. And read the really bad attempt at a dual pros and cons FAQ on RV.net.

Me thinks you forgot to read all the responses to it.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #24

Indeed I did read the post on the other board - as a matter of fact I came up with the original list. I grew up on dry farm in Idaho and drove every configutation of truck you can name SRW, DRW 4x4 4x2 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton. Even alot of time with 10 wheel dump trucks. Alot of this in snow and mud and 4x4 roads.

If you are carrying a camper most of the time then a dually makes sense. But many people use their truck most of the time without the camper and you must put up with all the duallys downsides.

You can encrease the safty and drivabilty of a SRW with the 19.5 package. Read some of the 19.5 threads and hear how much more stable the SRW trucks are.

I have owned my SRW and Lance for 7 years and put ~ 60,000 miles with out incident (2 flat tires - no problem). This is without the tire up grade.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #25

Well,I still think that safety should dictate what you haul your camper around on. It is simple irresponsibility. Harsh yes. If you can't afford to buy what is appropriate, then wait. There ain't no way ANYONE that has driven a camper on a Dually can EVER say they aren't safer. Trying to legitamize a SRW to haul around a 5000lb camper is stupid. The only reason I did was because I didn't know. ANYONE who has visited the TC site here knows! I never had, and was mislead by my dealer...as I suspect most have and were. I'm not even a farmer.
I went two months without using my camper when I realized how unsafe it was to hual my family around in it. I remember going around corners that were tight and drifting into the other lane...AND I WASN'T SPEEDING! The extra weight pushes you to oversteer. I know it has happened to every single person here. Don't even deny it. Six wheels later and I've never done it again. I wonder how many accidents go unreported for just that reason? Nope, I ann't buying it. Dually's ARE safer. No doubt in my mind.

If someone wants a dually bad enough, they're not that hard to find. Especially used. That's what I did. It was HALF the cost of any newer truck. Just be safe.

Sorry for the rant, I don't mean to offend anyone.

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
Old 02-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flashman:

If you are carrying a camper most of the time then a dually makes sense. But many people use their truck most of the time without the camper and you must put up with all the duallys downsides.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest that very few people drive thier truck with the camper on most of the time. There are only two separate schools of thought on this issue;

You either;
- Buy the best truck for your anticipated fully loaded needs and deal with any real or percieved disadvantages when empty.

OR

- You buy the truck that's most comfortable tooling around town empty and figure that it'll only be carrying the camper every fourth or fifth weekend.

I know which catagory I fit into. No regrets so far.

Dave
Old 02-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #27

There is a middle school of thought - that is to upgrade the SRW to make it safer. I am installing a wheel/tire combo which will give me better handeling and a mauh larger safety margin than a stock SRW. Cake and eat it too??
Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #28

"Well,I still think that safety should dictate what you haul your camper around on. It is simple irresponsibility. Harsh yes. If you can't afford to buy what is appropriate, then wait."

What I am hearing here, is not that most cannot afford a dually, but because of how they use the truck they don't want a dually.
And as always opinions are great but sometimes opinions do not reflect the facts on either side of the issue.
Jim

SnowRiver 2007, 10-2
sooty is offline   Reply With Quote