Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #29

Sooty--

Thank God someone gets it!

Tom

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
TJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #30

I don't drive mine every day but I do use it with out the camper on it at times. I bought the dualy before the camper knowing that I would have a camper at point in the near future after the truck. I also knew I would be towing. I have had no problem driving the dually around. I am with most of the rest for a camper the dually is the way to go. Around town it is the length of the truck (158" wheel base)that cause the most backing up to make turns not the wide fenders. I don't find it any worst than the old 1974 f250 the I had a long time ago.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #31

Here is the list from the other web page. Any rational comments are appreciated.

DUALLY / TRUCK CAMPER NEGATIVES:
1) Reduced rear wheel traction on snow, ice, wet grass when unloaded (2wd can be very bad)
2) Doesn't fit in some garages
3) Harder to park
4) More difficult to maneuver in areas like very small downtown areas w/ narrow roads
5) Width issues on narrow roads & bridges
6) Off road - can't stay in other trucks ruts (can sometimes be a positive)
7) Off road - can't fit in tight spots like between trees and rocks
8) Off road - rocks get stuck in between rear tires and ruins tires or flips out and ruins fenders
9) Sand / Beach driving is more difficult
10) Tire rotation difficult
11) New tires - six instead of four
12) No short beds models for Dodge or Chevy
13) Going to over sized tires very difficult
14) Towing some smaller trailers are difficult to see (problematic when backing)
15) Some neighborhood covenants don't allow dually trucks
16) TC swing-out jack brackets required
17) Initial truck cost is higher for a dually
18) Decreased fuel mileage (partially due to lower axle ratio)
19) Potential to strike something with extended wheel wells (gas pump, bollards, etc)
20) Problems with some drive-thru's (ATM's, McDonalds, etc)
21) Snow can build up between rear tires

DUALLY / TRUCK CAMPER POSITIVES:
1) Safer to drive with a big TC than an overloaded SRW
2) More pleasant to drive with a big TC than an overloaded SRW (no white knuckle driving)
3) Reduced suspension upgrade costs for load carrying capacity
4) Greatly reduced sway and increased overall stability due to wider rear tire platform
5) Greater safety factor for hauling heavy TC's
6) Rear tire blow out - still have one tire holding load
7) Truck has certification for weight load
8) Greater capacity to handle extended trailer hitches and heavier trailers

Note 1: Some of the above negatives only apply when you are not hauling a camper and don't apply at all when you are hauling a TC. For example: You ain't going through a drive-thru anyway with a TC in the bed.

Note 2: These two lists are in no way intended to promote an SRW over a DRW or visa versa. It is only intended to be a starting point for folks who are trying to decide what kind of truck they need to haul a particular truck camper, or for folks that trying to decide what kind of truck camper they can haul with a particular truck.

Note 3: Some of these issues come down to personal preference based on ones particular situation and by no means apply equally to everybody.

Note 4: These issues are not listed in any particular order and some are obviously much more important than others.
'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #32

Brad, your lists are excellent, as we have both dually (F350-dually and Sierra 2500-SRW); I can't add any more. What I can say is that every item on the dually list equates to increased safety whether with TC or towing (5th, tow trailer).

In our consideration in choosing dually over SRW 6 years ago safety was the primary factor. And in the 5 years with F/350/TC (heavy one, Bigfoot), we have come out several predicaments successfully which we attribute to being in our dually.

Again, nice list...it should help many people who are trying to make the decision, dually vs SRW.

IVER D
Old 02-05-2005, 04:53 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brad, I for one do not find the wide hiney as much os a problem as most people make it out to be. The biggest problem in parking lots and such is the long wheel base with the DRW, crew cab and 8' box. How ever, Fod has helped on this problem by increasing the wheel cut and there by reduced the turning radius. I have to agree that most drive-throughs are in the taboo list now, but, it is better exercise to park it and walk up anyway.

As for traction on slick surgaces, during the winter months, I put about 400# of sand or dirt in bags over the rear axle. The wife uses this each spring in the yard, so it is not wasted.

I use mine as a daily driver and the wife uses it fairly often as well. I would not give up my DRW to a SRW over the inconvience of a few drive in windows and parking lots. The stability and weight carrying capability is much more important to me.

Ken
Old 02-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #34

I'm not for or against either type of truck. I'm just trying to point out some things to consider when deciding between a SRW and DRW. There are +'s and s for both. I've had two SRW's for my 9' 10" non-slideout Lance. If my next camper is larger or has a slideout, I will definitely be buying a new DRW truck.

Many campers can be easily and safely hauled with an SRW. Others absolutely require a DRW. Some even need something bigger than a 1-ton DRW, like an F-450 or F-550. Flashman started the pro's and con's list and it looked like something that could be helpful for folks looking at trucks and campers.

The same type of pro's and con's list could be written for SRW trucks.

BradW
'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
Old 02-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #35

Brad

Two more patential negitives for the DRW.

1. In many states they can cause more to register (3/4 ton versus 1 ton).

2. Big rear ends are ugly!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #36

Mick:

The new 05 Superduty 4x4's have (new for 05)front coil springs that greatly improve manuverability over the previous leaf springs up front.

This may mitigate some of the manuverability issues w/dually width, and as others have posted, the length SRW or DRW of CC and LB length are a big part of the manuverability issue.

We have a SRW F350 but would feel safer w/DRW w/the camper on, if a tire blew.
ourjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:11 AM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 1. In many states they can cause more to register (3/4 ton versus 1 ton).

2. Big rear ends are ugly! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way I'm adding #2, I'm in enougth trouble already.

But #1, is there a tax difference between an SRW 1-ton and a DRW 1-ton?

Brad
Old 02-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #38

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We have a SRW F350 but would feel safer w/DRW w/the camper on, if a tire blew.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good point.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:54 AM   #39
CD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BradW:
[QUOTE] 1. In many states they can cause more to register (3/4 ton versus 1 ton).

#1. Here in Wa. the dually will cost a little more because of more tonnage you need to buy. (It also has more capacity). Some states base the license cost on vehicle value. The 1 ton may or may not be valued more and will go down with age.
#2. I won't compromise safty because of looks.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #40

All:

Re. weight fees --- I don't know if other states have a weight exemption based upon actual use but in California there is an option to save $60-108 annually if...

...You are willing to have a slide-in camper, shell, or topper over your truck bed full-time. This allows you to register your pickup truck regardless of weight rating as a "passenger vehicle" and LEGALLY avoid the (yearly ~$60-$108) commercial weight fees.

CA DMV makes you drive the vehicle to a DMV office for visual confirmation of the slide-in camper/camper shell/topper on the truck and then they will grudgingly allow you to change the registration.
/license plate.

Many folks in California don't know this and CA DMV DOES NOT offer this info up freely since they lose tax revenue.

Note however if you happen to need to use your truck open bed -- to say haul some trash/yard waste to the landfill/dump you risk a registration violation if the highway patrol sees you on the road w/ a load - since your truck has "passenger vehicle" plates on it...

Re. truck weight registration California charges a commercial vehicle weight fee by rated weight 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton 1-ton, etc. This applies to all open bed trucks even if they are privately owned and NOT used for commercial use...

As I recall the yearly weight fee for a 1-ton is $108, 3/4 ton $80, 1/2 ton was $60 or close to that...
ourjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flashman:
Brad

Two more patential negitives for the DRW.

1. In many states they can cause more to register (3/4 ton versus 1 ton).

Well that is certainly helpful! I would never sacrifice the stability of a dually for my camper based on looks, but even if I did, I think the duallies look MUCH better. That's the problem with a (useless) statement like that: it means nothing because it's purely subjective.

As far as you list goes Brad, I think you've covered most of it. The important thing to realize (as you've noted) is that the importance of these items varies depending on useage. For example the increased stability may easily override all the negatives depending on the load, useage and individual.
For myself, the choice was very easy;
- I don't use my truck off road or in the sand (have a jeep for that)
- mine's a 4x4 so less rw traction is simply not an issue
- I don't park in the garage
- I will never buy a short box pickup
- all four of my trailers are plenty big to see despite the wheelwells
- I've gone through every drive-through in town with my dually without hitting anything
- duallies don't cost any more to register here.
- I get up to 20mpg empty.

So what I'm left with is the marginally more difficulty parking and manouvering which is (to me) a very small negative compared to having a truck that is rated for the load and handles much better.

Everyone has somewhat different circumstances, so I'm not advocating that everyone should drive a dually, but going through your list has really helped to reinforce my decision to have a dually for my needs.

Dave

-
Old 02-11-2005, 08:10 PM   #42
RWS

DRW are not as big a pain as you might expect. They do fill up a lane so you have to pay close attention to avoid crowding the other guys. If your truck tracks well then that is a big help.

I have a Silverado with DRW and a disel and Allison T. It makes an easy to drive combo. I avoid tight driveways and spots that are hard for a big rig. Not much worse than any other large full size truck.

I park on the outside of the lot with the other F350s and RAMs etc The walk is ok for the benefit of carrying ability for a slide in camper.