Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Newbie: Mattress replacement needed

New to the forum and have enjoyed reading the threads. I have a 2015 Arctic Fox 811 and am looking to replace the queen mattress. My wife needs more support than this mattress is providing. I am concerned about adding too much additional weight, but think a firm memory foam would be best. If you have replaced your factory mattress, will you tell me what you purchased and how well you like it?

Thanks!
Mutzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

Mattresses are a very personal item. My DW and I will only buy memory foam. We have had them for 15+ years. One thing about them, price does not mean quality. There are high quality ones well under $1000. We just bought one for $550 and love it. One bad thing is that they are heavy and difficult to move because they are flexible.
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #3

We replaced the queen mattress that came in our '92 11.5' Caribou many years ago with a memory foam mattress that I think came from Walmart. My wife bought it there after first shopping around. It was probably in there for about 20 of the 23 years we had the camper, with no ill effects to the camper. It was very comfortable to sleep on.

It came rolled up tightly and secured with straps. I left it that way until I got it on the bed before cutting the straps and letting it roll out.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies.

Cedarmancity - Yes mattresses are a very personal item. What is firm for one may be medium for another. I am leaning towards them, but am concerned with the weight as I have a truck camper. I have a foam topper that we tried on the current mattress, but it didn't work. How thick were the foam mattresses you liked?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #5

Steve - I had someone else tell me about the Walmart foam mattress. What thickness was the one you settled on?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #6

We sold the TC a couple of years ago so I can't measure it, but my wife and I think in was 6" and cost about $200.00 in '95 or '96.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your purchase.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutzter View Post
Thanks for your replies.

Cedarmancity - Yes mattresses are a very personal item. What is firm for one may be medium for another. I am leaning towards them, but am concerned with the weight as I have a truck camper. I have a foam topper that we tried on the current mattress, but it didn't work. How thick were the foam mattresses you liked?
Over the years we have had foam mattresses from 8 inches to 14 inches thick. At home we have a 14 inch mattress. In a camper I would go with a 10 inch. It is not only the thickness but the density(weight). If is was me, I would get a 10 inch mattress that weighs about 80lbs and costs in the $700 range.
I would look at Costco, Walmart and Amazon, read reviews and spin the wheel. I would also get one that has a return policy WITHOUT any return shipping costs.
One other thing, I use to replace my mattress every 2-3 years, but with the foam they last me close to 10 years.
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

Thank you both for the information. The hunt begins! I'll post what we decided on if we make a purchase.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

I have purchased from this vendor. These are very comfy both I have are 12 inch

foammattressdiscounts | eBay Stores
wvabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Just wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you considered an air mattress....maybe not Sleep Number....but others in the $100-200 range ?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

I would consider an air mattress if it was just for me. But, my wife needs firm support and even the Sleep Number was not firm enough. We ha a Tempurpedic and she is comfortable on that. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the new T-pedic does not feel firm enough....there is a folding, 3 piece, blue board that can go underneath. About 3x6. It does firm things up, including a sofa. Can't recall the brand name.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
I have purchased from this vendor. These are very comfy both I have are 12 inch

foammattressdiscounts | eBay Stores
I''''ll tell ya, these are really good, they claim as good or better than the Temperpedic and waaaay cheaper, we are about to buy a third. Our first was in 07 because it was for our toyhauler. The price was reasonable. Boy were we impressed. we bought a second and when we sold that motorhome because it had issues my wife wanted that mattress in our bedroom over our 1000 dollar regular mattress. I have no more back pain either. Sometimes a higher price doesn't get you higher quality.
wvabeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, newbie, replace, replacement