Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Newbie... Need some guidance.

Hello all, first time poster so please be gentle..haha.

I'm looking at picking up truck camper but I'm getting conflicting info depending on which dealer and or manufacturer I speak with. So I figure I'll ask the real pros.

I have a SRW 2002 f350 with a 7.3 powerstroke. It's a 4x4 crew cab sitting on 35" BFG Km2's and 8' bed. I've done extensive work on the suspension and will most likely be putting in some air bags as an added safety measure.

I was looking at the Chalet TS116 and the Arctic Fox 1150. The confusion is, some say no problem some say no way. What say you guys??

Oh... I will on occasion be towing a 16 enclosed car trailer.

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Regards,
Dino
Vintagercr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 2000 F350 dually crew cab, gas with A/T. Hauled an AFox 1150. Did not like the way brakes held up on grades. They would heat up and smoke. Had to pull over for 20 minutes or so until they cooled down. If you have a manual trans that would be a lot better, especially towing.

We were at least 500# overweight, perhaps more. Are you buying new or used? If from a dealer, buy close to home, if you are able.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #3

Hi Scooter,
Thanks for the reply. Right now we're thinking new, but if something used comes up you never know. There is a Arctic Fox dealer and a Chalet dealer not too far away.

Dino
Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the SRW F350 is the GVWR and rear axle GAWR. You are probably over loaded on a DRW with that TC. Suspension mods and air bags do nothing to increase the reated weight carrying capacity.

My 2002 F350 DRW with the camper package has a GVWR of 11,500# so I am sure yours is lower.

Make sure you know how much you will be over loaded and are you comfortable with the numbers. I would not trust someone else stating the "you will be fine".

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #5

I would only put something that heavy on my back if I had dual rear wheels.
campdog416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

Thanks guys! I'm not trying to justify or attempt to convince myself. However, after doing some crossrefencing it looks like the axle assemblies and bearing assemblies are the same part numbers whether it's a DRW or SRW. The Diff ratio's are different. On a SRW Crew Cab long bed the lowest available is a 3.73:1. And the sway bar on the DRW is a bit heavier.
With that being said, to me it looks like it comes down to tire capacity and inherit stability due to suspension and width. What am I missing (besides what the placard says)?? Sorry, my mech engineering mind tends to over thing things...arrghh.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

An AF 1150 is too heavy for a SRW, don't do it.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

I agree... It's probably a bit much...especially if I plan on towing a car trailer along with the TC on occasion. I'm looking at the AF 992.

Any thoughts or comments??

Again, many thanks.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #9

Dino, I too have been talking to both private parties & dealers about T.C.'s & am ready to buy. I have a 2008 F350 4x4 diesel CC longbed with SRW with 20" factory wheels & 275x65x20 Toyo MT 10 ply tires. (Am going to also install airbags)
My experience has told me that if you go way over the GVW (which is going to happen at some point) you are asking for trouble & I'm not an engineer.
I have been told by many a dealer that if I came to them to buy an 11.5' camper, they would not sell it to me unless I had a dually to drive it off the lot, even at full asking price!!! That has to speak volumes for saftey or them just trying to CTOA.
I also know people that say they have had an 11.5' campers on 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive trucks & it was fine. I am all for adventure but I ain't as crazy as I once was years ago, so I will not mess with the hassle of trying to get by & piss off the carma Gods.
I am going to find a 9.5 or a 10.5' camper with the acceptable dry weight (around 3000#'s, + or -) for my own piece of mind & keep kickin my self in the rear for not getting the daully.
The A.F. 992 floor plan is one of our choices also & weighs dry at 3235#'s.
1ton4rd4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags