Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Cool Northern Lite?

Ok I'm retired navy 21 yrs and drove 1.5 million miles with girlfriend as a team. We are the best of friends and together 24/7 we sold the 18 wheeler and now have a ram 3500 drw 5.9 diesel 4 doors 8'bed with a payload of 4806 pounds. We are looking at the new 10 2 special edition Northern Lite to visit all the places that you can never see in an 18 wheeler. We think we have narrowed it down to that or the Bigfoot. Anyone know if one is built better than the other.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

I owned the Big Foot 9.6 and my neighbor owned the 10.2 Northern Light. Both units are similarly constructed. I purchased mine new in 2006 and at that time customer service was the difference between the two brands. Now that Big Foot has gone and come back...I cannot speak to that. Big Foot did install higher quality fixtures, cabinets and did alot more little things.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

I would say go to some RV shoes and check them out.
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

Both the NL and Bigfoot use the same basic construction technique, but the NL's are outfitted with a bit less wall insulation and weigh about 200 pounds less. You're not likely to find either of them at an RV show due to the fact that both companies are small and the selection of truck campers at such events are fairly miniscule. Your best bet will be to go to dealers who have the models that you're interested in and take a look.

While I haven't been in an NL, I did check out both the 25C10.4 and 10.6 models of the Bigfoot before purchasing an older 3000 series Bigfoot, which uses an entirely different method of construction. I like the BF 10.4 floorplan the best as the forward dry bath and rear dinette/kitchen make for spectacular views out the back of the camper. I also don't care for layouts where the kitchen is in close proximity to the wardrobe and sleeping area, where cooking odors can linger.

Both brands have solid reputations but share some of the same limitations in using traditional RV appliances. Alas, my dream rig, a Bigfoot 25C10.4 designed and outfitted for boondocking with a good solar energy system, an Alde hydronic heating system, and a cassette toilet doesn't exist. But as they say, "hope springs eternal".
Old 11-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

Didn't Bigfoot belly up? The Vernon BC plant closed and had an auction.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #6

They reopened, but are now only doing truck campers and not motor homes.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #7

Well we bought a 1998 caribou 11m and are looking forward to an adventure with it. It does make the ram 3500 sit 4" lower with it on and am looking at adding a couple of springs to the rear.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #8

Might want to look at air bags as an option, beefing up the springs will stiffen the ride when empty as well.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #9

Yes air lift bags are on the list
Old 01-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #10

We've had a '92 Caribou 11.4 and '89 W250 srw Dodge with 5.9 Cummins since '93 and have put in excess of 200k miles on it. It has been a good rig to travel in both cross country and boondocking, including Alaska ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway with 4 stops in between, and about 1.5 months in Alaska, BC, and Yukon T. Our freeway mileage at 70 is about 15, and 13.5-14 towing. At 60 it will get 16, but I still end up going 70. Early on I had to replace the roof and only a year or so ago replaced most of the wood structure around the back and rear sides as well as the lower front. All of the appliances are still original with only a few repairs being made to them. I think you will appreciate having the extra foot or so in length.

Thanks for your service, and the best of luck with your new adventure!

Steve
Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

I own 10-2 northern lite it is my 5th and last truck camper
It is the best I have ever owned
Can not fined one thing about it that I do not like Can't say the same about others I have owned

abslayer is offline   Reply With Quote