Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #15

We're very happy with the fit and finish our our 2013 AF 996. Slides make all the difference for us, the extra open feeling helps with those lousy weather days when you're huddled up inside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #16

I also am new to this site, not new to camping, travelling and finding those back roads. I have a 2012 AF 990 Camper on a 2012 F350 Dually. This is a really nice combination and does look good. Spent 125 days in it this year, 9 Provinces, 24 States and 15,000 miles later. Drove across to the East Coast of Canada, then headed West thru the States. From Chicago on we drove Route 66 , slow but very interesting as lots of stops along the way. Did the Grande Canyon, Palo Duro Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Canyon Lands , Bonnieville Salt Flats then a month in Oregon , mainly on the coast.
Last clean up of the camper my slide broke, in the inn position. In the process getting it fixed. Warranty is good but supplying parts is the problem. Parts are sent freight even thou we requested air. So we just wait.
During our traveling everything worked very well. Looking forward to next year.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #17

Lance is the camper to look at, less problems
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #18

I would like to hear what you mean by that.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Lance is the camper to look at, less problems
Really? Have a source for your opinion? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I bet the source of his "opinion" which is what was asked for, is his brain and experience.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJW View Post
Really? Have a source for your opinion? Inquiring minds want to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I bet the source of his "opinion" which is what was asked for, is his brain and experience.
Seriously was not being facetious here, wanting to know (statistically or through personal experience) where he formed his opinion that the Lance line has less problems than NorthStar or Arctic Fox. The OP was asking about those two brands and the wisdom of a slide vs. non slide purchase. No info on his sig line or profile so who knows, maybe he works for Lance.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #22

I have had the camper with no slide. , now the AF 990 with the slide. With the extra room it gives it would be hard to go back to the non slide. When the slide is in , U can get thru but is tight. AF or Lance ? Liked the look of the Lance but found them a bit plain in the interior. Lane will most likely have less problems because they have a lot less in them.
Even with repairs to my slide I would not change from the AF. We will travel 1/3 of the year in it and a lot of milage .
Your best source of info on pets is ask owners in the campsites what they think of there units.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #23

Smile

Do not rule out Adventure or EC tc campers
I have a Adventure 980 RDS love this camper and you will save a lot of money over AF and lance however both are great campers also.
abslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Look into the Artic Fox

I presently have a 2008 Lance 861 S. The slide gives a whole new world of space to the camper and highly suggest it. Larger capacity water, black and grey tanks makes your trips longer to enjoy. I have been all over US with this unit on top of a 2008 GMC 2500HD Single rear Duramax with air-bags, hell-wig anti-sway bar, Rancho's 9 position shocks and front Timbrens. Additionally dropped the stock fuel tank and replaced with a Titan 52.5 gallon.
They replaced the 861 s with a "Streamlined" 855 s. I prefer the items they removed in my 861 that they removed to streamline it.
I had many Quality problems with the new when purchased. They are fixed and I have done some upgrades also. I plan on keeping this unit. But in comparison if I was to go out and buy a replacement, I would choose the Artic Fox hands down. At many a truck camper rally's I had the opportunity to interview owners of these units and toured them to see the Quality of them.
Good Luck in your purchase!
Suggesstion: Once you purchase it, plan on attending the North East Truck campers Jamboree in Gettysburg, Pa Sept 17-21. Not a club....just a bunch of campers meeting to have a good time. Just call Gettysburg Campground and say you are with the Truck Campers for a special reduced lot rate....Last year their was close to 90 truck campers.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1315.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	57380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1316.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	57381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1350.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	57382  
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
I presently have a 2008 Lance 861 S. The slide gives a whole new world of space to the camper and highly suggest it. Larger capacity water, black and grey tanks makes your trips longer to enjoy. I have been all over US with this unit on top of a 2008 GMC 2500HD Single rear Duramax with air-bags, hell-wig anti-sway bar, Rancho's 9 position shocks and front Timbrens. Additionally dropped the stock fuel tank and replaced with a Titan 52.5 gallon.
They replaced the 861 s with a "Streamlined" 855 s. I prefer the items they removed in my 861 that they removed to streamline it.
I had many Quality problems with the new when purchased. They are fixed and I have done some upgrades also. I plan on keeping this unit. But in comparison if I was to go out and buy a replacement, I would choose the Artic Fox hands down. At many a truck camper rally's I had the opportunity to interview owners of these units and toured them to see the Quality of them.
Good Luck in your purchase!
Suggesstion: Once you purchase it, plan on attending the North East Truck campers Jamboree in Gettysburg, Pa Sept 17-21. Not a club....just a bunch of campers meeting to have a good time. Just call Gettysburg Campground and say you are with the Truck Campers for a special reduced lot rate....Last year their was close to 90 truck campers.
Don
Hello Don
Thanks for the info on the Jamboree in Sept. I would like to try something on the west coast if possible. Went to the East last year, took in 24 States and 9 Provinces. $4,500 in Diesel fuel, a lot of miles but a lot of fun.
We have a 2012 F -350 Dually, diesel, Firestone air bags. Our camper is the AF 990, with 1 slide , it is a 2012 as well. Not sure of our plans this year, so many options to choose from.
We are having a problem with the slide now. But warranty will have this corrected soon. The AF is heavy but very well built, would not go to anything else. Enjoy the unit U have and have a great summer camping. Doug