Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Northstar or Artic Fox

I am on the fence between North Star 950 igloo or the same size artic fox really like quality of the North Star but they don't have a slide anyone else knowledgeable on these units or do I need a slide??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AF

We had an Arctic Fox TT with a single slide. It wasn't as fancy as some, but it was as solid as a rock. On delivery we had a minor electrical problem that was easily solved and never had another problem. We had it for 5 years and sold it to our son who kept it for 5 years. As far as I know they never had any issues either.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #3

Its really a personal preference do you need the slide, weight and cost. The North Star Igloo 950, is a nice TC, good company Reputation.
Are you looking at the Wolf Creek 850 non-slide. That is the one i like personally, its a smaller Weight TC also manufactured by Northwood, along with AF. The AF 990 has a slide. That unit will cost more and you should have a Dually truck IMHO. It is my second choice.
Hope this helps. Best of luck in your search.
Scott
Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the help Scotty u are a fountain of knowledge
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1132 View Post
Thanks for the help Scotty u are a fountain of knowledge
Your welcome. I sent you a PM for Informaion.
Good luck in your search.
Scott
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #6

I'm on my 2nd AF. My first was the first year 1999 990 and now I have a 2002 1150 dry bath. I LOVE my AF and it doesn't hurt they are in the same state that I live.
I use my camper extensively in cold weather for down hill skiing and I have no complaints. Depending on your use, I would highly recommend AF.

Ken
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty14 View Post
... The AF 990 has a slide. That unit will cost more and you should have a Dually truck IMHO...
Scott
That's my thoughts too for a 990... they are heavy campers.

The Wolf Creek is a nice unit too.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post

That's my thoughts too for a 990... they are heavy campers.

The Wolf Creek is a nice unit too.
Not true- I had a 990 for three years using a ford f250 WITH airbags and had not problems at all. Now, an 1150 is another story. That does need a dually which I now have. Even AF says a 3/4 ton is more than adequate for the 990 that is MHO
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #9

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
We had an Arctic Fox TT with a single slide. It wasn't as fancy as some, but it was as solid as a rock. On delivery we had a minor electrical problem that was easily solved and never had another problem. We had it for 5 years and sold it to our son who kept it for 5 years. As far as I know they never had any issues either.
Hello. New to the site and TC. I don't have one (yet) but doing researching. I am very interested in getting a single-slide but have a few questions:
1) when side is in I know there is not much walking room, but did that bother you much. Was there enough walking room to go back and forth (front and back ) I want to leave the TC on my vehicle all the time unless I plan to boondock for multiple weeks.
2) you stated that you didn't have any problems, does that mean that the slide out operated all the time? That's one of my biggest fears; how dependable are they. I know if it breaks it can cost a lot of money to have the slide out fixed.
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had an AF 1150 from 1999 to 2004 and liked it a lot. Solid build with real wood, etc. Needed a 3500 dually, duramax/allison to carry it.

Slide did malfunction in 2002, out of warranty. AF said "bring it to us in LaGrande, OR and we will fix it for free" We did. They rebuilt the slide and made it stronger. No charge.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #11

One thing to consider if you are boondocking is the size of your tanks. Most campers have pretty small tank capacities. Arctic Fox is an exception. They have much bigger tanks than most campers.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

Slides add weight. I found in my Lance 830(no slide) that it was very tight quarters for more than a few days. The extra space is preferable and my F205 6.0 Diesel can handle it
Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #13

If i was choosing I'd get the artic fox
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a single problem

After our initial electrical problem we never had anything else go wrong except for the tires.

The tires that came with it (Goodyear Marathons) were crap! One of them exploded on a bridge, two of the remaining 3 had sidewall bubbles, and the spare (never used) had ripples and tread seperation. The tires were about 2 years old.