Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #1

My New Camper is not such a good deal afterall. We took a trip down to Florida this month, a little pre-Alaska dry run, pulling a little 5x8 Haulmark cargo trailer.
When we arrived at our destination, noticed the camper side panel was pulling away from the camper tiedown bracket. Closer examination noted that the floor was also seperating at the front area. Started looking deeper & found LOTS of wood rot along the whole lower right hand side of camper. Had noticed the side panels had bubbles along the side & knew there was likely some problems with delamination & previous water leaks. Dealer had resealed the complete camper but likely did not catch it on time & also likely did not know the damage was as extensive as it is. Went to a Lance dealer in Tennessee & he verified that I likely had serious delamination & more extensive wood root under the complete right side wall.
Will be taking the camper back to the dealer I bought it from & see what he will do to help me out. Sure hope he is going to be understanding as I have only had the camper since June. It may be a good thing I bought from a repetable dealer & not a private sale.
Thanks for letting me rant.

Reg
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #2

My New Camper is not such a good deal afterall. We took a trip down to Florida this month, a little pre-Alaska dry run, pulling a little 5x8 Haulmark cargo trailer.
When we arrived at our destination, noticed the camper side panel was pulling away from the camper tiedown bracket. Closer examination noted that the floor was also seperating at the front area. Started looking deeper & found LOTS of wood rot along the whole lower right hand side of camper. Had noticed the side panels had bubbles along the side & knew there was likely some problems with delamination & previous water leaks. Dealer had resealed the complete camper but likely did not catch it on time & also likely did not know the damage was as extensive as it is. Went to a Lance dealer in Tennessee & he verified that I likely had serious delamination & more extensive wood root under the complete right side wall.
Will be taking the camper back to the dealer I bought it from & see what he will do to help me out. Sure hope he is going to be understanding as I have only had the camper since June. It may be a good thing I bought from a repetable dealer & not a private sale.
Thanks for letting me rant.

Reg
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That not so good, I picked up a 11' Adventure and ended up rebuilding the whole left side along with the rear because of rot.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #4

How much did it cost you to rebuild Chuck? If you don't mind me asking

Reg
Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cost was minimal, maybe $600.00 in parts, The labor was pretty intense, my DW and I spent 3 months rebuilding it. We proably averaged 1 hr a day during the week and 4 hrs on Sat and Sun. We removed every window in it to check for rot and ended up resealing the whole unit after repairs. We also put in new tile on the floor and did some updating.

We ended up living full time in it for 6 weeks after the old fire took our house in 03. We bought an Artic Fox 1140 with a full side slide and sold the Adventure to our friends. Then a 5er and now the MH
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

Well the news is good afterall. As a matter of fact it is GREAT. The dealer has the camper as I speak & is going to fix it free of charge. I left it with them for the winter & it will be fixed properly for my trip to Alaska in the spring. What can I say? A Great Dealer. Stands by the products they sell new or used.
If ANYONE needs a trailer I certainly would recommend Niagara Trailers in St. Davids Ontario. I had heard they were pretty good but now I can testify to that.

Reg
Old 11-10-2007, 05:30 AM   #7

That is great news...

Just make sure you stay on top of them, and check in to see that they're doing what they said they would. I was promised a lot also but they didn't do what they said they would.

Don't wait until the last minute before your trip. Good Luck.
spkncarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #8

Well, I will tell you. Got a phone call today from the dealer I bought my Used Lance Camper from & it is fixed & ready for me to pick up. All I can say is, "What a heck of a Dealer". Used, 6year old unit with some serious wood frame root & side delamination & he fixes it for me for nothing. I do not know if I can tell who he is on this board as I do not believe he is an advertiser here, but if anyone in Ontario wants his name PM me & I will HIGHLY recommend him for any purchases. I told a Lance rep about my problem & what the dealer was doing for me & he wanted his name to be a Lance Dealer. Anyway, I am VERY happy & look forward to picking it up & looking it over when I get back from Florida in April.

Reg
Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Reg, congratulations! You may post the name of the dealer who has repaired your camper. Let us know what you find when you pick it up or if the dealer has sent you photos during the repair process post them for us to see also.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #10

Well, I forgot I already gave the dealers name & praise on my previous post. Anyway, it is Niagara Trailers in St. Davids Ontario. Just west of Niagara Falls. I am certainly impressed with their service & sales support. If I was buying a new unit & they had the make & model of unit I wanted it is the first place I would go to. I told them I would not be back until the middle of April & they said not to worry as the camper is out of the way against the wall. looking forward to looking at their handy work. They did not take any pictures of repair that I know of.

Reg
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #11

Try and make him take it back, The damage could be places not seen ,unless you strip the whole unit down, Sounds like u got a patch job.on he just fixed what we saw , wirhout a complete inspection and quality repair. Hope it works out When you buy a camper (even a new one)You have to ck them over real good , They half as caulk and seal them and leave stuff loose.Pitfalls of fast production by 6,00 a hr employee,s lol
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote