Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Older Shadow Cruiser quality question

Hi,
I've been on this forum for years and we own a 32' Holiday Rambler 5th wheel for 14 years now..
I'm looking into also getting a truck camper so we can pull our enclosed motorcycle trailer containing our Indian Vintage Chief. We have a 2002 F350 DRW four door diesel truck. I use that truck to pull the fiver and would also use it to carry a truck camper by removing the fifth wheel hitch.

So........I'm starting to look at used truck campers for under $6000 and have come across a listing for a Shadow Cruiser that seems to be in good shape. My question to you in the truck camper group.....is this a good brand? It is about 300 miles away so I'd like to learn as much about the brand as I can first before making the drive to look at it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #2

To clarify; We are not getting rid of the fiver, just thinking of adding a truck camper to the herd.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

I did the same with 18 year old Adventurer. I spent 3 weeks resealing and replacing rot. Since it was a stick&tin, it wasn't much of a problem. In fact it was in pretty good shape.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Update

Well I found and bought a 1998 Coachmen 95 S Sport slide-in.
I would rate it as excellent shape with no issues found yet. Had been kept under a carport all these years. Metal roof. No water damage found anywhere. All appliances work as they should. Just a super clean, well taken care of camper. Had to go 700 miles to get it. It fits our 2002 F350 DRW crew cab very well and the truck hardly knows it is there. I will have to clean out the water tank and water heater real well because the water in them was a little stinky, but that is an easy fix. Had to install the DRW jack brackets up front to get it loaded, but those went on fast and easy. The front overhang is too close to my cab roof so I will add some plywood under the camper to raise up the whole unit. We are also keeping our Holiday Rambler Fiver.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

camper quality

We switched from our 37' Titanium to a Adventurer 106 DBS with slight adjustments. As to the clearance between the cab roof and underside of camper I used a sheet of 3/4 plywood cut into 4 pcs 4x2 and cut notches in there centers to make two crosses to support the camper when removed from our truck. These slide into the bed of our truck and raise the camper enough to allow clearance above the cab. They work well for when staying extended time at a site. They do make a good secondary support for our camper when off of our truck.
Jade Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality