Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #1

Olympian Heater Questions for TC

Simple questions. We'll be spending a lot of weekends up at a ski resort with our double slide Okanagan this season (well, assuming the snow returns this years). I definitely want to add an Olympian heater to the setup. At night, I'll close the dinette slide, but I have to leave the wall slide open so I can get to cabover bedroom and bathroom, etc. With that, I can find no place to mount an Olympian close to the floor without creating a fire risk. So, here come the questions:
1) Have any of you mounted an Olympian at counter height and above? Heating results?
2) If you have an Olympian, regardless of where you mounted it, what size and results?

Thanks.

PS: I originally planned on mounting on undersink cabinet door. However, with a careless wife and almost as careless nuggets, it would get destroyed when smashed against the neighboring drawer handles, etc. Above the counter, to the right of the window, would be okay, but I fear the heater medium would get contaminated by cooking, dinner prep, etc.

You know, I'm sure we have ever used the oven, except for storing pans. I bet I could fab a mount and mount it sideways, on the oven door. Would be fairly low and not be too close to the dinetter slide, even when the dinette slide was closed. Humm.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

I have the Olympian Wave 3 mounted on an interior wall of the bedroom of the 5th wheel. I have it about 16" above the height of the bed. We have used it in just below freezing weather and, with the curtain closed,it kept the bedroom comfortable. If you are heating a larger area, or using it in cooler weather, you might want a larger one.

Don't forget that is a radiant heater, not a convection heater. As such, mounting it at counter height will be more effective than mounting it near the floor.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks. With that, I think I'll need at least a 6 to do the job due to draftiness inherent with slides and the fact that we'll often see sub-0 temps at night. I was reading the install instructions and the heater needs a min clearance at the top of 18". With that, mounting along the backspalsh is out. I think the best solution is going to be mounting it on the cabinet door below the sink and hope it doesn't get slammed into the drawer pulls when the door is opened. Might have to come up with a springy door stop dealio to prevent that. This will shoot it up the hallway (ideal) to some extent. I think I may try the 6 and if that turns out to be too little, I have plenty of room in the bathroom for an addition 3.

For those wondering why we can't just rely on our furnace, it's the batts. Even with our former, much tighter and smaller Bigfoot, we have drained batteries when trying to stay toasty (above 50 degrees) all night up on the mountain during a blizzard (had to jump start the batts in the AM to get the genny running to charge batts because, unknown at the time, we had blown the pickup RV plug's acc power supply fuse (otherwise running the pickup would have charged the batts enough to start the genny- Won't happen again as we have a bigger truck, bigger batts all around, and solar too)). Heck, since I'm derailing this thread already, here is a pic from the morning before (by next morning, the snow was completely over the hood):
Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

This thread is a little old, but I thought you might like to hear about my experience with the Wave 6 in a 11.5 Caribou. I got it for the same reason you're contemplating doing the same. It has worked fine for us in temps around freezing and somewhat below, but I remember spending a night in a blizzard along I-80 somewhere West of Laramie, WY in February. It was probably down to the sub 0 temps you mention that night and outside the next morning it looked like your pic. The next morning waking up there was ice on the inside of the side bed space windows and you could see your breath. It did warm up with help from the camper heater. I worried if the Cummins would start and was really relieved when it finally did. I would agree that in sub 0 temps it may not be adequate, but it will be warmer than it would be without it.

I installed ours 5 or 6 inches below an overhanging cabinet and down near the floor. Without trying it sufficiently I then immediately left on an elk bow hunting trip. After nearly asphyxiating myself I soon determined that the heater was starting to burn the wood above it. After returning home I added a heat shield made of aluminum which eliminated the problem.

Best of luck with your heater.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #5

That's for the great info.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #6

You might want to look into the blue flame heaters.
They mount pretty much the same , have the same zero vent requirement,
but heat the air rather than reflected heat.
We will be adding one to the TC before the end of the build.
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

I've been using the Olympian (6) for a while now. Having to use it in its portable form. Wish I could permanently mount it, but no real good place (until and make a mount in front of the non-opening window at the rear of the camper, above the sink). It has worked well.

Tags
heat, heater