Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 PM   #15

Standard gearing for the rear end is 4.10 with the option of going to 3.73. I don't plan on pulling any large trailer, so would I get better mileage out of the 3.73?

Ans: Unless your will be towing 10,000 trailer, absolutely get the 3.73 gears. I've had both, 4.10 & 3.73 gears on Powerstrokes. The cab noise is much less with the3.73's, fuel mileage will be better, so will engine life.

Part A. There is also an option for a limited slip rear axle, is this a good idea?

Ans: Bad idea if you ever drive on ice. Limited slip will put your butt in a ditch. Sounds counterintuitive, but it is a fact.

Part B. I am thinking about having a detroit locker installed on the rear end for added off-road capability. Which unit would you recommend? Mechanical or air powered? If I go this way should I still get the limited slip option, or would that just be replaced by the locker parts?

Ans: If you think your need a Detroit locker for off-road capability, you are buying the wrong truck. Buy a 4X4. With that big diesel in the front and no weight in the bed, you ain't going to have any off-road capability, locker or not. You will be getting stuck on wet grass. Also, Detroit doesn't make an air locker.

I would also get the camper package and make sure I get for and aft sway bars. Are the stock sway bars good enough? Or do I need to go to IPD for better units?

Ans: Stock sway bars are better than no sway bars. After market sway bars can be stiffer, but many times the mounting method and hardware sucks.

I would also stay with the stock "18 chromed steel wheels as I assume these would be the strongest?

Ans: Get the factory aluminum wheels. They are stronger than you will ever need, lighter than steel and won't rust.

Any other advice or comments would be much appreciated!

Ans: Get the factory electric trailer brake controller, even if you think you won't need it. You may and you will get your money back on resale anyway.

Ans: Don't buy the factory receiver hitch. Buy a Reese Titan hitch instead. It's strong and will handle an extension much better.

Ans: SRW truck, plan on buying 4 Rancho 9000 shocks. Try it with out them, but on a SRW truck hauling a TC, they should be mandatory.

Ans: SRW truck, plan on buying air bags. There are all types of overload springs out there. NONE OF THEM are as good as are bags if you only haul your camper part of the time.

Ans: Don't forget the camper package and the sliding RV mirrors.

Lots to think about.........Good Luck,

'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garyoNC:
Standard gearing for the rear end is 4.10 with the option of going to 3.73. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The standard ratio for a 6.0L PSD SRW is 3.73 and that is all you can get. No 4.10 for a SRW at all. You have to get a DRW to get the 4.10's.

'97 F-350 RC 4x4 with a '93 8.5' Hideaway -- XM equipped

'02 F-350 SC 4x4 that hauls the same camper -- XM equipped
Dick Cutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #17
Why not get the 6 speed. You will get better milage, engine braking and control. Get the 5.73 and if you run out of power - down shift (duh).
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:58 AM   #18
I owned an 04 F350 4x4 SB 6.0 PSD with a 9900 # GVW and I was over 1000 pounds overweight with my 03 Okanagan 9 foot camper. I agree a dually is a great camper hauler but it is not for me so when Ford came out with the big GVW jump in 05 on SRW trucks I was happy. I had to be hauled in twice with my 04 6.0 and I decided I did not want to try another one so I ordered my new truck with a gas V10. So far I am happy with my decision. I just did a 2300 mile trip with my camper on. I was 11080, fully loaded up so I was still under my GVW. The V10 averaged 8.7 MPG on this trip and I got 10.5 MPG with my 6.0 on this trip last Sept. On a 2300 mile trip I spent 200 dollars more on fuel with the V10 than I did with my diesel. I only do a couple trips a year and my daily commute is short so for me the V10 is a good choice. I have crunched the numbers many times and I have driven diesels for over 11 years so I know you have to be a very high mileage driver to ever see an economic benefit to the diesel and most buyers want the extra power the diesel offers.
Now the 05 V10 has the same tow ratings as the diesel and I am very happy with the performance of my truck and camper combination. Both the V10 and 6.0 will get you a speeding ticket on an 8% grade with your camper on, no problem.
Last friday I drove from Valleyview Alberta to my home on Vancouver Island in one day. That is around 800 miles and I have never driven that distance at one time before. My new truck handles this camper so much better than my 04 did and I am sure it is because the long box has the centre of gravity where it should be. My camper was advertised as being suitable for short boxes but the centre of gravity markers were behind my axle on my 04 F350 SB. Any way my truck is a bone stock camper special and I have had airbags and shock upgrades in the past, I don't need them on this big tank. Go to the FTE website and down to the V10 Forum where you will see a lot of happy owners. Now that gas and diesel prices are so close, the V10 is a good choice for some people. You almost have to order one as they are quite rare. In Canada you save around 6000 bucks on a V10. I know the resale will be lower but the original cost is lower. Take care, Diesel Don.
2008 Silverado LTZ 3500 dually D/A
2006 Montana 2955RL Fifth Wheel
Diesel Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #19
Diesel (gasser?) Don, good report....I have been following gas vs diesel discussions as we may be upgrading from our F350/dually/diesel/Bigfoot3000 to class C or class A; actually we recently purchased an old class A that is in excellent condition in order to get "the feel" for driving a class A. In a few years we will probably go for a more modern A or C (after 5-6 years in a truck camper we finally decided we need a bit more room)...and then there will be that decision of gas vs diesel...and thus reports like yours are very helpful. Thanks, Hemi--IVER
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #20
I think you will be happy with the 373 gears. i have had two trucks with that set up and have towed heavey and have no regrets. I get 15 mpg with the camper on and that drops to 12 or so when I trailer the harley hauler too. I would get the lim. slip if going with 2 wheel drive. I have been very satified with my 02 7.3 stroker and have no reason to trade in. Good luck and happy camping.
2005 FourWinds 24T motorhome, 23' Stratos walk around, 1991 FXRS + 1994 XL 1200, 3 Springer spaniels and wife.
Fxrscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #21

Thanks for the info. I went to FTE (once I figured out what it was) and it seemed like most people on the V10 forum were very happy indeed! I think I will be considering a V10 as I just don't want to take a chance on any problems that might pop up with such a tightly-wound diesel. Thanks again.
garyoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 AM   #22
I carry a Lance 1010 on my 2005 F350. Truck is Bone stock and handles the camper without a problem. Im am very pleased with the truck.

Stock rims on a F350 SRW are 18 inches. Its nice to have brakes that work

One thing that puzzles, are aftermarket items. Itried to get ranchos for the 2005 and they dont have them, I shoudl check back see if they are out yet. Ford changed the frame and fron end in 2005 so they needed to make new shocks. Ive run into this with a few other tems as well.....not suspension related though.

John M

John M is offline   Reply With Quote