Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #1

An overview,

We are considering an F350 SRW 6.0l for a slide-in camper. And after thinking about it and reading the '05 brochure from Ford, I would appreciate some advice from those in the know. The camper has a wet weight of about 3,000 lbs. and should work fine as I understand the payload of the F350 SRW is around 4,300 lbs. according to the brochure. Our main goal is the best mileage possible by staying as light as possible. So the 4X4 option is out. Any off-road activity would be limited to dirt/rock roads, some sand, and grass. Also my driving style is very conservative, (especially with trucks) I don't need to be the first one to the top of the hill.

The questions,

Standard gearing for the rear end is 4.10 with the option of going to 3.73. I don't plan on pulling any large trailer, so would I get better mileage out of the 3.73?

Part A. There is also an option for a limited slip rear axle, is this a good idea?

Part B. I am thinking about having a detroit locker installed on the rear end for added off-road capability. Which unit would you recommend? Mechanical or air powered? If I go this way should I still get the limited slip option, or would that just be replaced by the locker parts?

I would also get the camper package and make sure I get for and aft sway bars. Are the stock sway bars good enough? Or do I need to go to IPD for better units?

I would also stay with the stock "18 chromed steel wheels as I assume these would be the strongest?

Any other advice or comments would be much appreciated!
Thanks all for your time.
garyoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #2

An overview,

We are considering an F350 SRW 6.0l for a slide-in camper. And after thinking about it and reading the '05 brochure from Ford, I would appreciate some advice from those in the know. The camper has a wet weight of about 3,000 lbs. and should work fine as I understand the payload of the F350 SRW is around 4,300 lbs. according to the brochure. Our main goal is the best mileage possible by staying as light as possible. So the 4X4 option is out. Any off-road activity would be limited to dirt/rock roads, some sand, and grass. Also my driving style is very conservative, (especially with trucks) I don't need to be the first one to the top of the hill.

The questions,

Standard gearing for the rear end is 4.10 with the option of going to 3.73. I don't plan on pulling any large trailer, so would I get better mileage out of the 3.73?

Part A. There is also an option for a limited slip rear axle, is this a good idea?

Part B. I am thinking about having a detroit locker installed on the rear end for added off-road capability. Which unit would you recommend? Mechanical or air powered? If I go this way should I still get the limited slip option, or would that just be replaced by the locker parts?

I would also get the camper package and make sure I get for and aft sway bars. Are the stock sway bars good enough? Or do I need to go to IPD for better units?

I would also stay with the stock "18 chromed steel wheels as I assume these would be the strongest?

Thanks all for your time.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
garyoNC,

You would probably be just fine with the 3.73's since you don't plan on pulling any large trailers and it'll probably give you about .5 to 1.0 mpg better fuel consumption. I'd definitely get the limited slip unless you're going to put in that aftermarket locker. If you get the locker, forget the limited slip unless you just want to donate money to Ford Motor Company.

I'm not into lockers so I'll leave the question regarding mechanical vs air powered to those who know.

By all means get the camper package and if they still have the trailer tow package I'd get that too even though you're not planning to tow. Any factory installed option that beefs up the suspension and adds to the electrical system is a good buy.

I thought the '05 F350's came with 17" tires but I might be wrong. That might be the duallies that I read that about. Whatever wheels comes with it should be more than adequate for your load since you don't seem to be planning to exceed the GVWR.

You might want to consider ordering those auxiliary switches that are built into the dash that Ford offers, might come in handy for stuff you add to the truck later. I think you get a cluster of 5 switches that can be used for anything you want to add. Wiring is already installed and they make a nicer appearance than aftermarket stuff.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No more weight than you plan to haul, a 3.73 will probably do and you will get marginally better fuel econony. I don't know lot about the 6.0L PSD as I have the 7.3L and it is a towing beast. From thr folks I have taked with that went from a 7.3 to 6.0L, they initally say that the 6.0L does not have the fell of the low end power of the 7.3L. They eventually do say that once they learn more about driving the 6.0L, they find the power there, but at a higher RPM. If you can imagine a "high revving" diesel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #5

Ok I have the 2003 6.0 auto 4x4 dually with 4.10, haul a heavy camper and tow a jeep most of the time. Never had a problem, plenty of power.

Leave out the limited slip if you are going to have a locker installed later. I have ARB air lockers in my Jeeps and like them. I have not tried others. There are some electric on the market now, but I don't know what they will fit. I would not go with the detroit as it is engaged all the time and adds to tire wear unless you are on dirt a Lot.

My mileage is 15 empty around town. Best tank has been 17.1. With the camper 10.5-11, with camper and towing Jeep 9.5-10. If you are not towing much the 3.73 will most likely work well and give you a little more mileage.

As for other upgrades I would wait until you have tried the camper out on the truck. You may like it just fine. Shocks, Air bags, tires can all be changed after trying it out.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
CD

garyoNC
I can't give an opinion on the Ford but my preference would be the 410. It's my understanding the Ford develops it's power at a little higher RPM than the CTD. I had the 354 in a 01 CTD and at 60 it was lugging it going uphill so the choice was to shift or drive 70. Too much of my driving doesn't allow 70 & I like to be able to go up hills without shifting.
As for milage I got about 1/2mpg less with the 410. The frontage of your camper will reduce milage more than weight. I get about 13 mpg with the camper which they say weighs 2100 wet and I get 12 with the 28' TT that weighs 9K. The camper is a little taller. Last week I used a friends equipment trailer that weighs 6K empty and got 15.5 on the empty side of the trip. That trailer is only about 30" tall.
I suggest you have a truck, just like one you want, weighed. The 4300 lb. payload may shrink.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
CTG

Before committing to an SRW, I would check out a similar vehicle on the dealer lot that has the camper package. There will be an extra sheet (in the manual packet, make the salesman open it) that starts with the weight of the truck as equipped, then subtracts passengers and fuel. For your truck, the camper payload is likely to be around 2000 pounds, a far cry from the 4300 which is based on minimal equipment and passengers. I had a camper on an SRW 7.3 before, and am soooo much happier with the new DRW setup, although strictly speaking I am probably still slightly overweight with my "medium" sized camper (Bigfoot 2500 10.6). I also have the 4.10 gears, and while probably not absolutely necessary, I have no regrets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garyoNC:
An overview,

The questions,

Thanks all for your time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-14-2005, 03:37 PM   #8

I have towed with a SRW truck and since having this DRW truck I will never go back. Especially now that I have a big Lance 1130 on the back. The is a serious difference with the feeling of stability between the DRW and the SRW truck.
For sure get the camper and the towing packages. I have both on the truck and glad they are there. The front and rear sway bars are pretty effimceint. I do like the dual alternator package.
Lance says the camper weighs this much. But the time you add LPG, water, food and clothes and chairs and other stuff you can probably add 1500 to 2000 pounds to that figure.
Remeber, weigh the truck full of fuel then subtract that figure from the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and that will give you what you can tote in the bed.
My truck has the 4.10 gearing and it will get me around 17 mpg at 65 mph. Towing or hauling at that speed will get me around 11 mpg.
Chet
Old 05-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #9

Thanks all for your advice. I have spent a couple of days reading a bunch of threads at Ford Diesel about all the problems that still seem to plague the new PSD and I'm quite concerned. Mileage is also a big issue. I would have thought that Ford would have had all the bugs out by now. Anybody have the new 6.0L and really enjoyed it overall? I'm not really sure what to think or do.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:04 AM   #10

I have one of the first year built 6.0's, Have 20,000 most of the it with the camper and Jeep and it has not missed a beat, has lots of power. The Auto in tow/haul mode is fantastic! I have hauled the camper and Jeep over Wolf Creek pass in CO. with no problem at all. I hardly touched the brakes using the TH mode. I have also been over coal bank and molas passes, red mountion passes all 10,000 feet or close.

I really like the truck and so does the wife.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:47 AM   #11
CTG

I have a very early build 6.0 (November 02 I think) and while the truck has not stranded me, I have experienced flaky performance (intermittent low power, odd noises) that have caused me to visit Ford dealerships along the route and at home on numerous occasions. On the last camper trip (8100 mile cross country loop) I had the truck reflashed, some sensors replaced, etc. and probably did 1000 miles with the check engine light on, which doesn't exactly make the trip more fun. I think things have gotten better with the 6.0 since the early models. I still hope to get all the bugs worked out of mine before the warranty runs out. My 7.3 never gave me the slightest problem, if I had to do it again I would have bought my 03 with the old engine, which was still available at the time.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:24 AM   #12

We have 37,000 miles on our 04 F-550. It has been to the dealer 4 times. Replaced sensors, valves, transmission recall, reprograms. The last time was supposed to be the fix of all fixes. We have a few thousand miles on it since the last visit. It has been running great. For me I have no other choices than ford right now. I really like the truck even with some problems.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #13

Apparently Ford has worked out the bugs of the early 6.0L PSD with the '05 version. Our '05 F-350 PSD 4x4 dually was "born" in late Oct. '04 and has performed flawlessly since we took delivery. We now have a little over 4,000 careful break-in miles on the diesel/auto trans powertrain preparatory for hauling a heavy Lance Max TC later this summer.

When we ordered our dually, it was available only with 17" wheels and a 4.10 rear end. We are averaging 14 mpg on the road, unloaded, even though I run "hard" at 70-90 mph!

I am continously amazed at the PSD's power. It is usually the fastest thing on the road and can easily pull away from "sports cars" going uphill in NW AR!

So far I've only hauled about 1,200lbs. of top soil in bags at one time. I could not "feel the load" and the rear suspension still had almost 2" of clearance below the overload spring.

Nomad Al

'06 Tiffin "Allegro Bus 40DP"
Nomad Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #14

I have the 373 gears and do on occation tow heavey and have never had a problem. I have gone cross country with the camper and harley hauler with two bikes, tools , and gear with no issues. last trip to sturgis I averaged 11 mpg with a best of 13.5 and a worst of 10. I do have the 6 speed hand shaker though and that may add to millage. Running empty I have done better than 21 highway but usually do 17-18. I would get the limited slip if not going with 4x4. Scotty.