Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #1

We just purchased our first Truck Camper today. We have had travel trailers and a class A, but have been looking at TC's for the past 4 years now. This forum has also helped alot for information. We bought a 2001 F350 dually 4x2 V-10 w/only 24,000 miles on it last fall. We found a 2002 BigFoot 3500 10.10 with slide. The unit is a brand new, never used left-over. It has air, elec. jacks, thermal pane windows, mw, cd, tv ant, gen. ready, aluminum framed walls, skylight, etc. Just about everything except generator and satellite. I think we got a great deal at $17,500. Can't wait for our first big trip this summer.
favarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #2

We just purchased our first Truck Camper today. We have had travel trailers and a class A, but have been looking at TC's for the past 4 years now. This forum has also helped alot for information. We bought a 2001 F350 dually 4x2 V-10 w/only 24,000 miles on it last fall. We found a 2002 BigFoot 3500 10.10 with slide. The unit is a brand new, never used left-over. It has air, elec. jacks, thermal pane windows, mw, cd, tv ant, gen. ready, aluminum framed walls, skylight, etc. Just about everything except generator and satellite. I think we got a great deal at $17,500. Can't wait for our first big trip this summer.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #3

Welcome to a new world of camping. Sounds like you have a nice rig and will get many days of enjoyment.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #4

Welcome Favarcat! Sounds like you guys have been around the RV world for some time. We've had a Slide-In for about 12 years and have really enjoyed it. We spend a lot of time on the beach. You did get a good deal on the camper!!!

I am courous however, about your "down sizing". From pull trailers to Class A to a slide in, that's something. We talked about moving up to a mid size fiver but have decided to keep old nelli.

We're Planning a 40 day trip through Alaska next year and think it will be much easier with just a slide in. We might be devorced after 40 days in a cramped camper however, LOL.

Best of luck with your new rig. Hope the dually serves you well, it should!
93 10Ft Veri-Lite Camper, 2001 F-350 Powerstroke Dually 4X4 SC Auto XLT 3.73Gears Air Lift Springs Custom Made Frame Mounted Tie Downs with Happi-Jac J Hooks Cl. IV Hitch With 4Ft. Extension. Safe roads to you!
Surffisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #5

We are downsizing because of the ease of getting around. With long RV's, we were always on the main highways to get somewhere. Too hard to take small roads or turn around, etc. We will also use this much more for just 1 or 2 day outings. So much easier not being 50-60 feet long.

We are from NY and will be picking up the Bigfoot near LasVegas the first 3 weeks of August. We have 25 days off. We will get out there as fast as we can then take our time coming back home. Never been out west before. Thinking of Grand Canyon, Zion, up thru Utah to Wyoming and the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Then head back thru South Dakota and the Black Hills. Already had a Florida vacation planned this April with plane tickets before we found this camper. Otherwise we would have went out sooner. I would not be looking forward to a trip like this if we had to drag a big camper along.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #6

Welcome to the Site!
Congrats on the new unit!
If you have any specific questions about Zion or Bryce Canyon or Utah. Drop me a line.
I live about 70 miles from Zion and Bryce.
Chet
Old 03-31-2005, 04:07 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
Welcome to the Site!
Congrats on the new unit!
If you have any specific questions about Zion or Bryce Canyon or Utah. Drop me a line.
I live about 70 miles from Zion and Bryce.
Chet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chet, sent you an email.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:10 PM   #8

Hello, we just returned from 12 weeks on the road in a truck camper...and after nearly 6 years of ownng our rig, travelling all over the country several times, we concluded out west on this trip that we have grown out of our Bigfoot truck camper. So, we bought an old but wonderfully maintained 86 30 foot class A Holiday Rambler Presidential in OR; we drove both units back to Florida...with my wife driving the F350/Bigfoot, me driving the HR.

So, I am sorry to say that our days using our truck camper may be numbered. I have very mixed emotions as the unit (duedall.fit.edu/yellow) has served us so well and thus we are still undecided as to whether we will sell the Bigfoot camper.

Still the greatest advantage of a truck camper is the ease at which one can move it around, tight spots etc.

Anyway, we will keep tuned to this forum which has been so good.

Iver D (Hemi)
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #9

My wife and I bought a 945 Lance in 1995 and said after we tour Alaska we will sell the TC and buy a 5th wheel. Well we spent three months in Alaska in 2003 and never complained about lack of space. Went with another couple that also had a TC and no one ever complained. Came home that Aug. and bought a 32' 5th wheel to spend the winter in down south. This year I had a 30' X 45' Morton bldg built to keep both campers in. This way we have the best of both worlds. We only use the 5th for winter living and the TC goes all summer. Nothing like a good TC. Keep both. You will regret selling the TC. Rob
Old 07-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #10

Would love to have the time to do that trip! I have been thinking of a small class C lately. My wife ( broom hilda ) has started collecting dogs. We started with one then got him a girlfriend she had eight pups of which we had to keep one so now in the span of 2 1/2 years we have three dogs and it is a little cramped in the camper. my father just got in from Fla and is staying at my place with his downsized 21 foot class C so i can try it on for size. let you know how it fits. Scotty.