Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #1

Our Retirement Rig

Well I've been medically retired for 4 years we decided to go ahead and get our "Retirement Rig". I just picked it up last Friday & we have already made the maiden voyage that weekend to Port Angeles, WA. We are still outfitting it to our style & know it will take some time to get it dialed in. We decided this combination would work the best for us because now the wife can sleep in & not get woken up at o-dark 30 when I launch the boat.

The truck is a 2008 F350 XLT, 4X4, diesel, CC, Long bed & has been outfitted with (2) 3/4" rubber stall mats (laid sideways & cut to fit the wheel wells & tailgate posts), Torklift frame mounted tie downs, Airlift air bags (thanks Mike) & Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks all around.

The camper is a gently used 2011 Adventurer 106DBS with the rear kitchen with the dinette & refer slide, dry bath, AC & generator ready & Happy Jacks. It took us almost a year to narrow down the models that we liked & found this one, it was bought close to home to boot (unlike the truck, boat & kicker motor, which all were bought in Oregon, go figure).

I will be towing my Jet Sled to fish for Salmon & Steelhead in the Pacific North West rivers.
Now it's time to get Serious!!!!

One question I have to ask though is how do you consistently get the camper on the truck properly each time? The wife is not the most experienced in these matters but she tries to help as the spotter. I'm seriously thinking about a wireless backup camera (like the kind that has a removable suction cup or magnetic base) & marking the bed somehow to line up camper more easily.
As always, any help is appreciated. Jim Sr.

I did notice that the passenger side airbag had a leak in this photo & fixet it ASAP.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

Practice, practice, and more practice.

yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've owned I think five perhaps six truck campers over the years, what I did was have a piece of tape dead center on the camper[vertical] and a piece of tape on the bed rail of the truck. Backing on I just matched them up. Small adjustments from there. But the practice works well.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #4

I have practice on TT's but this is a whole new animal. Since I have the rubber mats in the bed I might use a yellow tire crayon & mark the mat & get the backup camera & just try that route + more practice!!!

Thanks for the comments. Jim Sr.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

I use 1/4" plywood rub strips on the sides of the wheel wells.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

The tape method never worked for me, could never see it, rear window too far back with the Quad Cab. What has worked for me was to line up the truck straight as possible, looking backwards over my LEFT shoulder out the rear window and guide the truck back making small corrections as necessary. Looking over the shoulder allows me to see the truck rail and the TC box as it passes through onto the bed. As long as I'm OK on the side I'm watching, watching the other side is unnecessary.

That's a nice setup you have !!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

That was a good post, keep it uncomplicated and practice, after a while you will forget you're practicing and be sliding that baby in there with no problem. I normally have the the camper about 2'' above the bed when loading.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

I don't have that much extra space between the wheel wells so I start by getting the camper in the middle. Then I line up a piece of tape on the rear window of the truck with another piece of tape on the camper window. I have them so that when I look through the rear view mirror and see them overlap I know I am on track.

Another approach some have taken is to put a piece of tape or paint a stripe down the center of the bed mat and then hang a ball on a string from the center of the camper. They can then back up and keep the ball over the stripe. It was a little more involved then I wanted to get so I use the two pieces of tape.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have allot to think about now & will try them all untill I find what works best for me.

Again, thanks. Jim Sr.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ton4rd4me View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have allot to think about now & will try them all untill I find what works best for me.

Again, thanks. Jim Sr.
Jim
There are a couple things you can do that help. Measure to the center of your TC and in the bend where the vertical wall of the TC meets the overhand (bed) center a piece of black electrical tape. A look in the rear view mirror will help align the truck to center.

Another trick is to lay down a long line from the inside of the legs of the TC out in front 20 feet or so. A long tape measure touching inside both legs and you looking out the left side, window down and using the bottom edge of your window on the truck to guide along the edge of the tape measure, board or whatever. This will keep you going straight. After you get under the TC take note of the eyeball distance between the lower edge of the drivers window and the tape measure.

Practice...
Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #11

An update on my progress for loading the TC has been successful useing tape on the back widow of the quad cab that lines up to the tape on the middle of the TC.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to explain your different methods.

Jim Sr.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #12

Nice rig there Jim, hope you use it a lot.

When we not out in ours, (see pic below) we like to be out in the 5iver.
GWinger

Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's a great looking combination and hope you really get to enjoy it. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Thanks for the compliments.
Oh we really do love it & plan to use it allot next year after getting a membership & Good Sam club.
It sure beats sleeping on the ground & fighting to get a tent spot!!!
I have already been using it while fishing for Salmon & Steelhead this year too, it's so nice getting some quality rest after a hard day of fishin!!!!

Jim Sr