Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Ovens

New as I have said in other posts wondering do truck campers use ovens much or is it wise not to get one and use space for something else and it looks like I might have to order one so what options are useable and nice to have???
Dave1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1132 View Post
New as I have said in other posts wondering do truck campers use ovens much or is it wise not to get one and use space for something else and it looks like I might have to order one so what options are useable and nice to have???
I've had a truck camper for 15 years.
Don't use the darn thing but I still have it!
When I was using it we never used the oven
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

In every RV we've ever owned, the oven has always been used as a bread box.
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Dave,
If you get the camper with the oven. The question will be does your wife like to bake or do you, then the oven will be useful. If not, looks like you could use the oven for storage.
Scott
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty14 View Post
If you get the camper with the oven. The question will be does your wife like to bake or do you, then the oven will be useful. If not, looks like you could use the oven for storage.

Bread Box!
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #6

No oven, no great meals by my gourmet wife. Ever sat around the campfire and smelled the roast in the oven? I have and there's nothing like it. Camping does not mean sub standard meals for us.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #7

I wouldn't be without the oven. How else are you going to make pizza? Or cookies, lasagna, etc?
My wife can cook!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

We occasionally cook in our electric combo microwave/convection oven mounted above the stove but I believe that the propane oven has only been used to store bread, buns and potato chips since 2004.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

Whether or not you need an oven depends completely on what kind of cooking you want to do. If you do get an oven, be aware that the kind that are installed in RVs are small and do not heat very evenly. Placing a pizza stone in it will help some.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Great place to store some pans and if you want it, there is no substitution
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #11

we had an oven in both our pickup campers--a SixPac and then a Bigfoot 2500--and when we bought a Chinook concourse with only a cooktop we had a range w/ oven installed. There's nothing llike winter camping with something cooking in the oven. We use the oven often, can't imagine camping without one.
OR Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Our first two campers had ovens that we never used. We ordered our last camper built for us and eliminated the oven for cabinet space.

Now we have a motorhome with much more cabinet space and sometimes wish it had an oven.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two ovens in this RV.. one is the Atwood/Wedgwood gas job Damon put in at the factory and the other is a smaller Electric.. I use them both depending on what I'm cooking and how big the dishes are.

With an oven... I'm not sure how much it matters but the gas rang with a Pizza stone makes real good cheesecake, cookies, turkey and such.

The electric .. Well since electricity is part of the flat fee for the site....

Stove top I much prefer cooking with gas,, but I have a single burner electric as well.

Of course... There is a reason I got married once, and kept the same wife for over 35 years unitl death did us part...... I KNOW HOW TO COOK, and all the other household chores.. Heck, I even have my own sewing machine..... Thus I did not need to get married right away and waited till I found the right one (WHich most folks do in the 2nd or 3rd try).