Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Pulling trailer with 12' Camper

May be buying a slide in for my Dually in the future. Want to be able to also pull my 12' enclosed motorcycle trailer. I can build whatever hitch will be needed.
My thinking is 10' camper would be the practical max in length to pull a trailer.
Would like a little feedback & pics of your setups
Have a great day. Dennis

farmboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Torklift Superhitch and their SuperTruss extension are the defacto standard when towing a trialer when there's a long camper on the truck. ALso, might as well get their frame mounted tie downs too. THe rear ones mount to the Superhitch on most applications.

billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
I just joined the forum, saw your post, and thought I would share my solution to the problem. We have a 1st gen Dodge Cummins and 11.5 Caribou that we've had since '03. About 10 years ago I needed a way to pull a 24' enclosed 10' high bumper pull car trailer from the East coast to the West coast with the camper on the truck. I built an extension to the existing receiver and added an additional receiver to each side on the outside of the the frame. The extension looks similar to the tongue of a trailer with the center being lower where it attaches to the truck than the two outside members to sort of act as a "prop". It has worked fine pulling the 24' trailer and anything else we have needed to pull. If you would like more information please let me know.

Best of luck

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Thanks for the replies
farmboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I bought this trailer when I really wasn't expecting to buy one. When I went to hook it up it was way to close to the camper. Luckly where I bought it had one of these extensions! I was somewhat concerened that it might bend but its as strong as can be & I've never had a problem with it & I've used it for 3 or 4 years now. And as you see I have a little bit of a load on the trailer with two quads & two trikes plus tools & an extra set of tires. Sorry but this is the best pic I have of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer hitch ext.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	103698  
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Hawkeye-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Click image for larger version

Name:	385.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	115226We pull a 28' race car trailer behind a 9 1/2 Lance. I use an extension made out of 2" x 2" solid cold roll, not hot roll. You have to grind the edges off so it will slide into the receiver tube. The extensions that they sell are junk, way to light. My extension is quite long to accommodate the platform that holds the generators on the back. Make sue the quality equalizer hitch is tight and level, when ready to go.
Snowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
I tow with my 11' camper. I use a Torklift Superhitch and 48" extension. It takes every bit of that 48" to get the ball past the bumper. I've had no problems towing up to 5,000 pounds. The extension is rated for 6,000 without a weight distributing hitch and 12,000 with one.

2005 Chevy CC Dually D/A, 2003 Fleetwood 11X truck camper, 1997 Larson 206SEI boat
KD4UPL is offline   Reply With Quote