Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #1

Questions about camper fit/tiedown

My wife and I have a nice pickup to tow our 5th wheel touhauler.

We have been talking about buying truck camper for trips to places where we would not tow the trailer.

Question 1. Does someone make a set of tie down bars that fit with the running boards on my truck (without having to cut them)? I'm hoping to find someone who has traveled this road to answer this question.

Question 2. I have a 45 gallon fuel tank that takes up ~10" at the front of my 8' truck bed. Can I fit a camper in and keep the tank?

Question 3. I have rails for my 5th wheel hitch on the floor of the bed of my pickup. Can I fit a camper without having to remove these rails?
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Torklift is pretty much the only game in town for frame mounted camper tie downs. They should have a part number to fit your truck with the running boards.

The in bed fuel tank will be a problem. Truck campers are intended to go right up to the front of the bed. If you try to load one any more than a few (very few) inches back the whole setup will be tail heavy.

The fifth wheel rails can be worked around with plywood to shim up the camper. Not saying I would do that but some people do.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

I went out and looked under the truck today. I saw some parts that make me think that the previous owner had a truck camper. I think these receivers are Torklift parts. If so, maybe all I need is the extentions for these receivers. Comments and advice are welcome.

Front:

Rear:
http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/c...MG_1932-XL.jpg
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Those aren't Torklift parts. They were fabricated by somebody, maybe even the previous owner. It wouldn't matter anyway because Torklift dealers do not have the inserts available separately.

What you appear to have is what's called receiver hitch combo bars welded to the frame. You would need to have the inserts fabricated fron 2" square tube. Not really a bad setup.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #5

That is what my boss did for his Lance
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

On my last truck I had what you have now under the truck. My Son is a welder so I had him weld a HEAVY DUTY chain link to the ends of the two inch slide-in part. I used those links to attach the tie down chains to. It worked great, just don't leave the slide-in pieces in place for years & years like I did. The outer & inner pieces rusted together & I had a difficult time getting them apart. It might be a good idea to have a triangle gusset welded to the top of each receiver.
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Regarding the aux. fuel tank. I special ordered my camper to fit over top of the my 12" tank. Works like a charm. You might wish to buy a camper designed for a shortbed truck. Brace the front of the tank so it can't shift forward and stress the mounts. Then block the camper front so it can't shift forward and mangle your truck tail lights.
Let us know how it all works for you. Pics, too, please.
Jaxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You might look in to Happi Jack, their tie down system is different.
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the 5er rails. I left mine in place and used 1.5 " high density pink foam board.
It is much lighter than ply wood doesn't absorb water. Just take your hand saw or electric knife to cut slots for the rails. 2ea 2'x8' pieces will do the job. The weight of the camper will not crush it.

After you get the extensions for the tie downs, use Torxlift Fast Guns for hold downs.

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/pr...ginal-fastguns
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #10

Short bed camper should be farther forward than a full size and may balance better. aathe happi jac should be no problem and they have quick install levelrs also. Plus cheaper.