Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Rear camera for Lance camper

I bought a new Lance 850 camper a couple weeks ago, and have a question about it that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

I want to install a rearview camera on the unit, and according to the manufacturer's literature, the camper is pre-wired for that sort of thing. I'm assuming that the 12v D.C. wire and a ground wire are hidden somewhere beneath the siding above the door, but don't want to start cutting holes until I know for sure where to look.

Does anyone here know the correct location for the wires?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of camera are you planning on? Black & White, color, fixed, tilt up & down, or Total Vision color w/7" monitor that pans left and right & tilts left and right with 180 degree vision.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doclocke9892 View Post
I bought a new Lance 850 camper a couple weeks ago, and have a question about it that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

I want to install a rearview camera on the unit, and according to the manufacturer's literature, the camper is pre-wired for that sort of thing. I'm assuming that the 12v D.C. wire and a ground wire are hidden somewhere beneath the siding above the door, but don't want to start cutting holes until I know for sure where to look.

Does anyone here know the correct location for the wires?
I have a 2011 Lance 992 and in the very back of the Owner’s Manual are diagrams of all the different systems in the camper; water, electric, propane, etc. One of the drawings shows the exact location of the wiring for the back-up camera that would have come with the camper had you ordered that option. I installed a wireless system on my 992 and just grabbed the power (12 Vdc) from the clearance light just above the door. The only drawback to this is that the running lights have to be switched on to make the camera work.
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #4

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

My owner's manual has a few pages of drawings of the various systems, but since none of them are dimensioned, they are useless for locating hidden wires.

I've been thinking of wiring my camera to the running-light feed above the door, as you did. Since I don't drive with the headlights turned off, the power would be active whenever the engine is running, and the camera would be powered when I need it to be.

I was hoping someone on this forum would have information about the exact location of the pre-wiring, but apparently no one does. Writing to the manufacturer yielded no usable information, either; all the rep there did was to send me a mechanical drawing of the rear of the rig, but as it had no dimensions on it, it was of no help.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Wireless back up cameras

I wish to put a back up system in my RV and found this among many,
Perhaps it will help you too

Magellan Wireless Back-Up Camera for RoadMate GPS units (CPBCKUSGXXX) - GPSCentral.ca
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Just learn to back up with your side mirrors, not hard the camper only sticks out a little
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Just learn to back up with your side mirrors, not hard the camper only sticks out a little

They're not very effective showing you what's right behind you.
Even though I always get out and do a walk around when I'm going to back up I've always thought a camera would be nice. You never know what's going to walk behind your rig after a look see.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

Not at all helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
It's posts like this one that have forced me to rarely, if ever, use forums to ask for assistance.

I'm 73 years old, and have been driving vehicles since I was a young child living and working on our family farm. Not only that, but I used to teach Driver Education, and I have many years of experience safely operating motor vehicles, which includes operating them in reverse gear. Telling me to, "Just learn to back up with your side mirrors," adds nothing to the conversation.

I actually discovered the answer to my question on another forum, and the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, none of the replies posted on this site were any help at all. That also applies to the "official" Lance website, I'm sorry to say.

If the Administrator of this forum knows of any way for my original question to be deleted, I would appreciate it if he/she would do so.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

Doclocke9892 -

Yes, I asked for recommendations for brand names on wireless camera systems in another thread and got almost the same answer (to use extended mirrors).
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Common experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Doclocke9892 -

Yes, I asked for recommendations for brand names on wireless camera systems in another thread and got almost the same answer (to use extended mirrors).
Our shared experience with this forum, as well as almost all others, seems to be the norm, and not at all unusual. Perhaps it's due to the inability of forum members to understand what they're reading, or maybe some other thing that keeps them from actually addressing the question. I don't know what it is, but I do know that it's frustrating to have to deal with that sort of thing.

In case you're still interested in recommendations for cameras, I can tell you that after many hours of shopping, I ordered mine from Tadi Brothers. The model I chose was their SKU97586, largely because it had a 9" monitor as an option. As old as my eyes are, the larger monitor is very helpful.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I think you made a pretty good choice on the system you purchased considering the cost. You were wise to get the largest monitor you could.

I have to assume the camera is not motorized for up-down tilt? That would have been a great bonus.

Don't be put off but some less than helpful comments. Overall this is a great forum with a lot of helpful people.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #12

Great source for quality backup camera components is Tadibrothers.com One of the problems with the inexpensive wireless units is lack of range. Tadibrothers sell wireless transmitter and receiver kits for 65', 100' and 1000' range for $50, $100, and $150. Also sell dual mount cameras so one can be pointing back at the road and the other down at the bumper to use when hooking up a trailer. I agree that too many people post dumb remarks and for the life of me I cannot understand what kind of people think that this is proper behavior.

Tags
camera