Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 AM   #1

Bought used slide-in..Need to mount mirror at rear so I may see toad. Camper has mirror mounted on front drivers side above drivers door on camper over-hang and there was another mirror and bracket in side storage. My question: is it possible to place the extra mirror at top rear of camper so that a part of toad can be seen from mirror above drivers door using front mirror in combo with rear? Previous owner passed away,can't ask him.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 AM   #2

Bought used slide-in..Need to mount mirror at rear so I may see toad. Camper has mirror mounted on front drivers side above drivers door on camper over-hang and there was another mirror and bracket in side storage. My question: is it possible to place the extra mirror at top rear of camper so that a part of toad can be seen from mirror above drivers door using front mirror in combo with rear? Previous owner passed away,can't ask him.

Thanks,

Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked up a $90 wireless camera from WalMart and it shows me the rear just fine!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #4

Tycreek. Bought camera for rear at Wal-mart . It is originally intended to be just a back-up camera that is on only when backing up. What if any changes did you make to use it for surveillance also. Separate switch to turn it on when traveling?
Thanks

Arlo
Old 10-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a camera that runs off of 12v and transfers video signal to a display that also runs off 12v. I now have 2 of them, one mounted to the camper pulling power from the top center marker lights. So it turns on when I turn on parking or regular lights (the monitor does have on/off too). You can hook up to whatever 12v source you like. The other camera connected to a lighter plug and mounted on stick with magnet for use when backing under the camper (very portable). Have the monitor to key'd power and lighter plug inside camper. I've only ever tried one camera at a time as I highly doubt 2 cameras would ever work well concurrently.

These wireless cameras are prone to noise from just about any other wireless device! ... My experiments with these things indicate that noise is also affected by the quality of 12v supplied, such as a line with many lights or less than ideal connections where voltage drops down. Don't use the provided splice connectors on the camera wires unless you multi fold the end and then spade them into the connector! My marker light connection is not ideal for noise reduction due to the many lights, though only the one camper plug connection is needed. I might do a more direct connection for better in town stability, like for the few home parking times when I experience some noise.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #6

I plan on only using camera to keep eye on Toad when traveling. Do you think a separate fused power supply line straight from from battery would help suppress interference? Or would you suggest some other way to run power.I would like to leave camera on while I am towing car on dolly.Would you think one supply line connected to monitor switch then to camera would work?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yea... anything to get voltage up into the 12's and not the low 11's like I originally got on my first connector use. On the highway I rarely get interference and connected to the marker lights the voltage is about 11.7v and works pretty good. When I connected the camera to my 4 pin trailer plug the video was very solid even on the side of my house where I see the most signal flutter on the screen while powered by the marker lights.

The second camera I got was a bit more money ($140) but had a 1" bigger display (3.5"). Though both work quite fine for keeping tabs on the rear. I leave mine on all the time as I can't see anything out my rear view mirror when the camper is on. I've 2 velcro strip loops that slide over each end of the mirror that I attach the camera to. Never fallen off and rough roads are about all I ever see.

The bigger display makes the activity going on with my ATV trailer a bit more visible ... such as it is more noticable when it gets airborn over big bumps. Or, I've just hit bigger bumps since the switch? With the smaller display all is quite visible and really helps for backing things up and such, but the bigger display does seem to make the trailer movements a bit more evident while traveling.

The picture in the previous post is of the smaller display and the trailer pictured there is sitting about 5' or so behind the camper. Where I mounted the camera gives a great rear view but is a couple feet out from my rear bumper. Here's my rear camera mount with marker light power tap.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #8

Thanks for all the great info.It sure helps a novice like myself to understand the operation of this application. I was specially interested in being able to watch my Toad leave the ground an land gracefully.Nothing like a little excitement to break the monotony.Sounds like you have this off roading all figured out. Seriously I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thanks, I will let you know what happens..

Arlo
Old 10-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #9

Tycreek.
Installed camera bought from Wal-mart. Put remote camera over camper door as you suggested. Everything works great...Thanks for the help...

Arlo