Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Buying new or used is a personal choice, but I would say from my experience that degradation is directly related to maintenance.

Both our campers were bought used. The the first was several years old the second only one year old when we bought them. We had the first one 15 years and the second 23 years. I maintained both and would not have hesitated to keep either much longer than we did.

The first was sold in order to get one with AC and built in gen. The second was sold to get a MH because that is what my wife wanted. I was perfectly happy with the TC.

These things will require maintenance over time whether bought new or used, sometimes significant maintenance. Nothing stays new forever.

Just my 2c.

Steve

I agree but on maintenance. I choose to ensure that by starting from new. I have little faith in most owners taking care of things like I would. That costs more, of course. I accept that.
Hawkspring1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
laj

We got a bigfoot TC and love it, a highly functional and mostly decently made rig,
We didn't want slide out, didn't want
what model BF did you get? been looking at those and northern lite
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Order the truck with the camper package and the dual alternators. After you get the truck:

1. Get a dedicated higher gauge charge line running through a constant duty solenoid that can be connected to your camper of choice later. This will allow you to recharge your batteries while traveling between destinations without needing to run a generator or plugging in to a pedestal.
2. As posted, get a thin rubber bed mat so your camper does not slide. Whether you get a spray liner on the bed is up to you, but avoid the plastic drop in liners for carrying a camper.
3. Look at the Torklift frame mounted camper tie downs. They require no drilling or welding and have a lifetime guaranty.
4. if you plan to tow more 3000 lbs behind your truck/camper combination, start with the Torklift SuperHitch and get the appropriate length double truss. These are the safest products to tow anything heavy with a receiver extension and typically rated for 12,000 lbs.
5. You can get an in-bed connector for your camper or use the one off your rear receiver. I use a Y-cable off my receiver connector which allows me to use the same connection for both the camper and trailer.
6. If you do not tow, the gasoline engine will do just fine hauling the camper around and you will probably never recover the mileage savings of a diesel although it will be easier sell when you are ready to let go of this truck. If you plan to tow behind the camper, get the diesel engine and you will not regret the decision.
7. If you decide to look at bigger campers like the Eagle Cap or Host, get a F450 or larger. Even though the pickup F450 payload looks smaller on paper than the F350, it has much heftier running gear that will handle these big campers better.

I was very happy with my previous Arctic Fox 811 and only sold it to go bigger. Arctic Fox does not make a triple slide, so I chose a Host. The 990 is about a foot longer than my previous camper - Make sure you have enough storage and comfortable seating for your use.
Yes to all - especially #7.

We, too, are waiting for our spring delivery Host Mammoth - 3 May hopefully.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #18

I have a 1 ton Chevy dually to haul around my ArcticFox 990. Suggest you read up on load carrying capacity. Check newbies articles at truckcampermagazine.com

I was not able to stay under capacity with a diesel on a crew cab 3500 dually. It can be done with a gas engine, or a shorter truck. I disagree with the idea of adding stuff to an overloaded truck. I'd hate to be found overweight if in an accident. But that's my personal opinion.

My truck is loaded down with comfort features. It's a High Country. Nicer in my opinion than the Ram or Ford top end packages.

Ford was hard plastic on dash. Even the king ranch models. Ram road very rough unloaded. So I ended up with the Chevy. And it has over 6000 lbs payload.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #19

I love my BF and my chevy truck. Truck bought new, camper was 10 years old. Nothing on the camper I can't fix., but the truck is another matter. No problems with the truck in 10 years and towing 5er and. Now the BF TC.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnmom View Post
1.) I am looking at ordering a 2017 Ford F350 crewcab King Ranch Dually diesel. I will also be purchasing a new camper as well.
I only have one chance to buy both and just want to make a thorough look at all my options and appreciate any advise from a camper enthusiasts as yourselves.
I have been a ford person for years and have towed a fifth wheel, but retiring and would like to go to a camper and down size.

2.) I am very new to the idea of a camper, so any help from you out there that have a newer ford dually and carry a camper would be much helpful.

3.) Before I order the ford truck, what would you recommend as far as options to carry a slide camper. Gear ratio, size tires or any other important factor I should take into consideration.

4.) I am thinking of the 2017 Lance 995 or the 2017 Artic fox 990. If you have any other campers that are a must to take into consideration would be very helpful as well.
This thread is kind of dated but I was in a very similar situation about 18 months ago so here goes. . .

1.) I spent a solid year doing research to buy a truck & camper shortly after retiring. I too (was) a Ford Super Duty lover. At the time of my research an F-350 Diesel in a Lariat+ trim was my target.
Long story short: With Fords move to an all aluminum Super Duty and the ongoing valve munching issues with the Scorpion engine, in the eleventh hour I took a chance and bought a Dodge RAM 3500 with a Cummins/AISIN powertrain. The truck is now a year old and has been absolutely perfect in every way.
FWIW: If or when Ford ever gets their act together I would be very interested going back to ford in an F-450 Diesel for my next rig.

2.) Truck campers are typically overloaded, dually or not. It’s the nature of the beast. BTW, a CAT Scale is your friend.
See This Link ---→ https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

3.) As for my gear ratio choice I went with the higher 3.42 gearing. My reasoning is this: The Cummins is a monster and the AISIN trans has a particularly low first gear, plus the fact that in extreme circumstances I can always put the transfer case in “4-Lo” so there was no need for the ever popular 4:10/4:30 gearing.

4.) The Lance and the Arctic Fox are both nice. I would say the Lance is a bit more ‘up-scale’ while the fox is a bit more 4-season sportsman-ish.

Some other info on this. . .
In my case I specifically wanted a ‘small’ full sized 4x4 truck so I could drop the camper and go exploring, (without the need to trailer my Jeep behind the camper). Length-wise my short-bed 4x4 Ram is the absolute smallest of the big three trucks, GM, Ford, FCA.

This of course limits my choice of campers (since I’m a short-bed with single rear wheels), but once I drop the camper I can go pretty much anywhere on or off-road that a typical full size SUV could go including street parking & most parking decks in town. This way I can explore local towns and villages at will rather than being burdened with a monster of a truck.

This post may help some too. . .
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f33/2014-...ml#post3557581

Happy shopping!
Regards,
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #21

Exclamation Ford Dually Diesel & Truck Camper/Height of Cab

We have a Ford F450 with the cab lights. The camper we bought an Arctic Fox (I think its an old 1150) either didn't clear the the cab lights or it was <1/2". That's something we didn't think about.
dschad2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #22

New Arctic Fox models, (even my 2012 model) have 4' between the cabover and camper load floor. Ford's have the tallest truck cabs and will have the most clearance issues with older campers.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschad2001 View Post
We have a Ford F450 with the cab lights. The camper we bought an Arctic Fox (I think its an old 1150) either didn't clear the the cab lights or it was <1/2".
That's something we didn't think about.
Some manufacturers have a thing called a 'riser kit' that lifts the entire camper unit 2.5" off the bed of the truck. Perhaps that would help.

A sheet or two of 3/4 ply would give some lift but probably heavier than its worth.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
New Arctic Fox models, (even my 2012 model) have 4' between the cabover and camper load floor. Ford's have the tallest truck cabs and will have the most clearance issues with older campers.
So wish you'd post some pictures and include some good stories about picking up your Host.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
So wish you'd post some pictures and include some good stories about picking up your Host.
Here you go: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f33/the-m...ct-337327.html
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
This thread is kind of dated but I was in a very similar situation about 18 months ago so here goes. . .

1.) I spent a solid year doing research to buy a truck & camper shortly after retiring. I too (was) a Ford Super Duty lover. At the time of my research an F-350 Diesel in a Lariat+ trim was my target.
Long story short: With Fords move to an all aluminum Super Duty and the ongoing valve munching issues with the Scorpion engine, in the eleventh hour I took a chance and bought a Dodge RAM 3500 with a Cummins/AISIN powertrain. The truck is now a year old and has been absolutely perfect in every way.
FWIW: If or when Ford ever gets their act together I would be very interested going back to ford in an F-450 Diesel for my next rig.
Happy shopping!
Regards,
-Ej-
I think the problems with the Ford diesels go back to the first year or so of the new diesel made by Ford. They have a few issues with the first run (HPFP was the one most people had issues with but there were some valve issues as well). Since 2012-13 model runs forward the motors and transmissions have been pretty bullet proof. I hang out on quite a few Ford diesel forums and the complaints are few and far between now. Certainly my experience with my 2013 F350 has been excellent - no recalls, no TSB's, no nothing and all I have done is routine oil changes since new.

I don't think any of the mfgs can afford to make garbage these days - the competition is too tough to allow anyone to sit back and take sales for granted. Especially when there are so many social media sites and forums where bad news spreads really quickly.

I'd say buy what meets your needs best and drive the snot out of it.
sbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryan View Post
I think the problems with the Ford diesels go back to the first year or so of the new diesel made by Ford.
They have a few issues with the first run (HPFP was the one most people had issues with but there were some valve issues as well).

I'd say buy what meets your needs best and drive the snot out of it.
My last truck was an 07 F-250 gasser. It served me well hence my 'wish' that Ford would (eventually, hopefully) get their act together so I can get get back into a Ford.
My dream truck would be an all steel Gen-4 F-450 with a Scorpion that has the reliability of my Cummins. <yeah, I'm dreaming>

And while I'm drifting off-topic here, I might as well say. . .
Seems Bedlam is the one to watch!
I should hire him as my personal consultant when the time comes to upgrade from my little Northstar to a 'big rig'

Cool thread,
-Ej-
Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
My last truck was an 07 F-250 gasser. It served me well hence my 'wish' that Ford would (eventually, hopefully) get their act together so I can get get back into a Ford.
My dream truck would be an all steel Gen-4 F-450 with a Scorpion that has the reliability of my Cummins. <yeah, I'm dreaming>

And while I'm drifting off-topic here, I might as well say. . .
Seems Bedlam is the one to watch!
I should hire him as my personal consultant when the time comes to upgrade from my little Northstar to a 'big rig'

Cool thread,
-Ej-
I don't think your dreaming at all. Maybe justifying a little.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford