Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Riverside RV Whitewater 865

We continue our search for the perfect truck camper for our needs. I really like the Northern Lite and Big Foot all fiberglass clam shell designs. The prices are pretty steep for either one of those units.Riverside RV in Elkart Indiana builds a bare bones model 865 that is fully self-contained. The story that I heard is that some of the folks who worked for Sunline formed thier own company, Riverside RV. Whitewater units resemble Sunline and Sun-Lite units. Riverside specializes in retro-style units, and the TC's are wood framed like in the old days. The quality seems decent for the price. The the fit and finish is good. The quality of materials appears good also. The 865 is a wetbath model and has an ABS shower pan vs a full fiberglass surround like higher priced TC's have. The ABS pan and vinyl walls are the one down side to the brand, however we will probably use the toilet on trips, and the shower will only be used when no facilities are available at campgrounds. There is only one LP bottle, a little 20 Lb unit, and no room for a second bottle. For options they offer an extended bunk. Riverside also offers fiberglass siding as an option. A fully loaded 865 retails for around 14,500.00 brand new. There are a few deals out there, and one West Virginia dealer priced the unit at 12,500.00 equipped like I want it. We prefer a smaller camper even though we will be hauling it on an F-350 Crewcab, Dually, 4x4, diesel, with an 8 foot box. We tow a 22 foot sport boat or a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer, depending on if we are boating or going to a car show. We prefer not to purchase a camper with a long overhang. The 865 will sit even with the rear bumper on the F-350, so we can use our factory hitch to tow with without adding overload springs or a hitch extention. I plan to use Torque-Lift frame mounted tie-downs, and fast-gun turn buckles. I also plan to either purchase or have a storage dolly made. When not in use the TC can be unloaded, placed on the dolly, and rolled into the garage for storage. The unit will only be exposed to weather when we are using it. I think that storing the unit inside will increase the life of it significantly. Does anyone know anything about Riverside RV, or had any first hand experience with this company? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

I recently got to sit with Rich, a Sales Rep from Riverside at an RV shoe in Northern Vermont. They are a strong and upcoming Rv manufacturing company in my eyes. They are taking time to see what the wishes are of the Rv enthusiast and designing Rv's that are high quality and affordable for the rv'er. I also know they will meet with a client and build a semi custom Rv to suite your needs. I was supper impressed with Rich and what I saw from Riverside at our local Rv show!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info. It sounds like Riverside should be on the list of contenders.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
When first considering a truck camper, I wanted one with all of the bells and whistles. Mainly, I want a generator... One never sees a 8.6 truck camper with a generator. Our race car trailer has a 6500 watt propane powered Onan motorhome type unit. The trailer has a fridge and an four florescent lights, one 13,500 BTU A/C-unit with a heat strip. We can plug in all sorts of tools like air compressors and such to the unit and it does not come close to loading the genset fully. I am thinking that I can plug the camper into the race car trailer gen set and run it that way, espically since the gen set has double the wattage needed for the race car trailer.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #5

I just found these units myself, and I'm looking for one out west that I can see in person.

They seem to make a lot of sense - reasonable price, light weight, and decent construction. I was originally looking at used units, but for what they sell these for....

TBH, in the price range they are offering campers at, my expectations are not nearly as high as with Lance, etc. I think I would be willing to tolerate some corner cutting in the $10-15k range new that I would find unacceptable in a $30k product.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have not made a purchase yet. I have looked a many used units from multiple companies, and am not impressed with the quality, or lack of quality that seems to be uniform for most RV's today. If you ordered a Whitewater camper with aluminum siding and an aluminum roof, it probably will last for several years. The only thing that rubber roofs and fiberglass filon siding is good for is to save weight and cut down on costs. Those products are essentially junk. Neither product will last very long if the unit is stored outdoors. Store it inside of a building when not in use, and it will probably last longer then you want to keep it. How do I know this? For many years I did warranty work for Coachman Industries. I have re-roofed and resided countless RV's. For me the major downfall with the Whitewater campers is the fact that they only have room for one 30 LB LP bottle, and the shower stall is a base, not a full fiberglass shower enclosure like the higher priced/better quality units are. If you don't plan on using the shower much, then it probably will last a while. If you have a house full of children and everyone will be showering daily, then it will leak, and it will rot out, and it will be a mess to fix period. We have been looking at used Bigfoot campers. The clam shell hand laid fiberglass shell is very durable. the unit is a high quality unit and is made with good workmanship. For a light use unit that is stored inside when not in use, I believe that the Riverside Whitewater is as good as any for the price.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
laj

have you looked at past time. they are very light and they will custom build pretty much whatever you want for way less then most others.