Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #15

I've got Sirius, and am very pleased with it. My '04 Suncruiser 33v is prewired for it. All that means is that the "RV radio" has a red & white RCA input jacks to plug the Sirius directly in (also can plug in laptop with itunes) - no searching for a empty FM station. Got blues wherever I go. No loss of station from CA to WA - great. Best of all no commercials. Life is good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #16

I don't know about XM dropping out in Canada...that's where I am, and I went to XM over Sirius because Sirius DIDN'T give consistant coverage in Canada, where XM does.

I too like the greater depth of programming on XM, there is a lot more diversity and you don't hear the same tracks repeated every 20 minutes
Wayne

Old 03-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dragan:
I don't know about XM dropping out in Canada...that's where I am, and I went to XM over Sirius because Sirius DIDN'T give consistant coverage in Canada, where XM does.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You didn't say your exact location but note that I mention only the northern parts of Canada to include Alaska being in the so called 'blackout' areas.

I would be most pleased if the XM satellites were positioned in a manner for us to receive their signals throughout North America but at present time, that is not the case.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #18

needed: Advice on where to install the antenna

I picked up the xm radio this morning + two cradles (install kits), one for the f350 the other for the truck camper BF3000.

Those with a truck camper + satellite radio where have you installed your antenna:

on roof of the camper
on the roof of the truck (camper extension is over the truck roof)
on the truck hood
on the truck rear metal side

Actually I have two antennas, one for the truck one for the camper.

My main concern is with the camper antenna. There is very little iron on the bigfoot. As a first attempt if I the antenna needs to be high and on the camper roof is to put it on the roof rack on a piece of iron I will clamp to the roof rack...again suggestions welcome. IVER D
Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #19

I put mine under the frig vent cap and ran the wire down behind the frig. Works great.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:16 AM   #20

Ken, thanks...I have two vent caps on the top of our camper (Bigfoot 3000); I guess I had assumed that both were for the grey/black water but then looking at the fridge access area I see a vertical exhaust pipe which must vent somewhere to the top of the camper...one of those vents on our units?? Correct?

Owing to the tightness/confinement of our camper I am not sure I can run the wire up and into the cap....anyway today I get connected so I will probably find a good spot. Thanks, IVER
Old 03-12-2005, 05:36 AM   #21

The vent cap I am referring to is not one of the small round plumbing ones, but a large plastic cover (10" x 20" maybe) over the frig. There is a window screen under the cap that I attached the antenna to with a couple of tie-wraps. You can (barely) see the cap on the picture at http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/index.html between the sat antennna and the A/C unit, just above the Arctic Fox emblem. I suppose that pickup campers could be different.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #22

Satellie radio is great; I bought XM.
I initiated my subscription yesterday...XM has been running nearly non_stop. I ended up mounting the cradle near the back door near my radio. I ran the antenna through the back night light that is fixed to the right side of the bigfoot door. Also picked up an extra cradle for the F-350. IWD

Thanks to everyone...IVER D
Old 03-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #23

I think going with either company, you win. It's just so much better than radio.

Hemi - how is the antenna working on the camper? The antennas that come with the car kits require a ground plane, and a camper doesn't provide a very good one. Let us know how the signal is, etc.

As for the truck, I put my antenna on the hood so I could get reception when the camper is on. Not the best place, but so far it's worked well.

I was using my home kit in my camper temporarily, and I was having difficulty getting decent reception with the antenna that was provided. I ended up buying a Terk marine antenna that doesn't require a ground plane. So far I've just held it out the door and it gets awesome reception, both satellite and terrestrial. Terk also makes the same antenna for XM, links for both are below. Cost was $100.

http://www.terk.com/pdfs/SIR5-LK.pdf
http://www.terk.com/pdfs/XM5-M.pdf

A bit off topic, but now I need to mount this antenna on the roof of my camper and get the wire inside. I haven't decided how I am going to mount it and if I am going to run the wire down the fridge vent or drill a hole. Any suggestions? And can anyone suggest a good sealant if I do drill into the roof?

Thanks,
Justin

2003 Lance 1130
Scubajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #24

I simply place my magnetic antenna (from the XM car kit) onto the middle of a flat small cookie sheet, and then stick it in one of my top cabinets inside the trailer. Works quite well.

Dave
Old 03-26-2005, 07:01 AM   #25

I had an HVAC metal shop make a plate to fit on top of the refer vent conver. Placed the XM magnetic antenna there and strung the lead down and into the trailer. Love it.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:31 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
NASCAR has awarded SIRIUS exclusive rights to NASCAR programming beginning with the 2007 season. Until then I'll stick with XM. 2007, I'll probably go to SIRIUS.

Can ya tell where my priorities are?

I have a friend who has XM. On a vacation he rented a car that had SIRIUS. He said he found fewer dead spots with SIRIUS. Being that he was in a different state, I'm not sure how much weigh to put into that.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #27
tgt

We have XM and love it. Besides the Major League baseball, they also are carrying several NCAA leagues now - especially our favorite: Pac-10 Oregon Ducks!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #28

We chose Sirius because it has a great deal of NPR and PRI programming. XM has a very limited public radio offering and includes none of our favorite shows. Gotta have "Talk of the Nation", Diane Rehm, "A Prairie Home Companion", "Car Talk,"Fresh Air", etc.