Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:41 AM   #1

We will be getting satellite radio soon. There are two competing companies (are there more?): if you have experience with xm or sirius please comment. Our personal listening preferences are very broad.
Thanks, IVER

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2005, 01:41 AM   #2

We will be getting satellite radio soon. There are two competing companies (are there more?): if you have experience with xm or sirius please comment. Our personal listening preferences are very broad.
Thanks, IVER

Old 01-23-2005, 01:32 AM   #3

I went with Sirius,mainly because of programing and I got free equipment for paying a year in advance.Both co. have offers on discounted or free stuff some times so do some research.I a few people who have both and the general consensus is nascar is on xm and football is on sirius.Sirius has great uncensored comedy and good talk shows.I think sattelite is gonna be the norm for a lot of people soon

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have both. Dish Network added the Sirius music channels. I have XM in my truck. I listen to XM all the time in the truck, but rarely listen to Sirius at home.

I like the music programing on XM much better than Sirius. Sirius reminds me of FM radio, a limited play list. XM plays songs you rarely hear any more, and I mainly listen to the XM 60's channel.

Your mileage may vary.

It would be best if you could listen to both for a while to see which you prefer.

I believe XM has a 3 day free trial on the internet, played through your computer.

Either one is better than all the commercials on FM.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #5

Good feedback; I got into the idea of satellite radio from a friend who is on the road most of the time. He has xm. I will keep watching this site + do some more homework. I will sign up for the web free xm to see how we like it for the next three days. IVER ...hemi
Old 01-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #6

My experience has been just the opposite; have had both, and much prefer Sirius over XM...it really all depends what programming you are looking for. Sirius was $3.00 more per month for me.

Tim
Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #7

Last time I checked, Sirius did not have NASCAR. XM does.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #8

Both are good; research both and buy the one that you seem to like the most. If you have the option, listen to both first.

I have XM. I prefer it to Sirius because they have a wider variety of programming, and the Premium channels are there for a reason -- for those who want to pay extra for them. I don't need 'em, so I don't deal with 'em.

I also have Sirius because of my Dish Network setup, and like somebody else said, I rarely listen to it... but it's nice to have when I want music and am too lazy to go out to the truck to bring my SkyFi unit inside.

Rob

- 05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #9

I have Sirius and absolutely love it. I have a portable radio and use it in my truck and in my car. Now I need to figure out how to get an antenna mounted on the camper so I can listen there too!

Also, NASCAR will be going to Sirius in 2007. And I believe that Sirius has 3 satellites, XM has 2. But like everyone else, I went with Sirius because of content.

2003 Lance 1130
Scubajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #10

I have decided to go with XM; monthly charge is ~$ 9 if you buy a two year subscription rate. Others (friends) have recommended it too. IVER D
Old 03-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I just got XM so that I could listen to NASCAR. Now it appears that NASCAR is going to Sirius in '07. Additionally, I just received a note from XM that their rate is going up to $12.95 per month. Oh well, I'm committed to 6 months- will decide what to do after that.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have XM and I LOVE IT. BUTTTTT>.......the price is going up! The price will now be $12.95 a month. Less, if you make a longer commitment. Each additional radio is $6.99. I have to say I am keeping it even with the price increase. XM also just got Major League baseball, and we have Nascar, so if that is somehting you like then XM is for you, if you want NFL, go with Sirius.

Another thing, with the XM, there are no longer x-tra charges for anything, like previously. And now you can access it from your PC which is included in the price like sirius.

XM RADIO

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hemi:
I have decided to go with XM; monthly charge is ~$ 9 if you buy a two year subscription rate. Others (friends) have recommended it too. IVER D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...but wait! XM just announced their rates are going up from the basic $9.99 to $12.95 ...therefore, it will not be cheaper than Sirius.

We have had both Sirius and XM but prefer XM because of its programming ...much much better. We do not get their two premium channels mainly due to the 'R' rated, i.e., strong language. That is their reason for charging extra ...another way to protect their butt from law suits, etc.

If you will be traveling NORTH through Canada to Alaska and want satellite radio, Sirus will be your best bet. The satellites for XM are in the southern hemisphere and signals will probably drop out before you reach the Canadian Yukon Territory, whereas Sirius should carry on since their satellites are almost directly over the USA.

I say ...weigh all the factors and go for your needs.

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #14

We have XM Radio here, love it!