Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Snow Damage

Hello. I installed a 30x30x15ft quanset hut style canvas covered that was suppose to be heave duty in sept of 2010. Like most of the country here in CT we have had a very snow heavy winter. I had my 88 Airstream and my 05 Lance truckcamper inside when over 2 ft of snow fell between Christmas and New years of 2010 and the structure collapsed like a cheap umbrella. The Lance was about 2ft taller than the airstream so the lance protected the roof of the airstream but one of the support arches caved in the front of the airstream. The Lance had the front and one rear jack twisted and leaning badly but it didnt damage the corners of the camper it only twisted the mounting brackets. This is my project for this spring. New jacks and A/C cover and whatever else is wrong when I can inspect the camper and trailer when I can get to them after the snow melts. Camping is still fun! Will be asking here on forum as to best place to buy replacement parts.
Regards nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ouch ! Last snow in MD was heavy enough to cause me concerns around the farm. Our "canvas" was doing ok with the snow until the freezing rain caused the heavy snow to stick instead of sliding off. Sorry to hear about your collapse.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

I lost a Farmtek shelter in the second storm of January in CT as well. I cleared the snow from the Dec26 blizzard, but storm 'benedict' did it in. I have not been able to see the damage inside yet, but it was all heavy duty lawn equipment that I had in there. My '08 Lance is forced to weather the winter outside, as it is too high for the shelter on the truck. I cleared some snow once this winter off the roof, but yesterday was the first time I could actually dig out some snow to get close enough to really see how it fared. The jacks look good, and actually without going inside, I am optimistic that the Lance faired well so far. Good luck with your repairs, think spring.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #4

Best site to purchase truck camper parts?

Hello. Need to purchase atwood heavy duty electric jacks and swing out brackets for my Lance 2007 1055. Any idea as to best web site?
Regards nm1oqrz
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Not sure of the best website, but I have used A&L RV sales in Tennessee, they have a pretty good website. I have also used the 'RV STORE' and I have used Lee's Auto Ranch. They have a store in Ellington Connecticut, but they also have a pretty big internet business. Check your warantee info before you make a purchase, it might cover it. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Florida, no snow, no damage.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp View Post
Our "canvas" was doing ok with the snow until the freezing rain caused the heavy snow to stick instead of sliding off.
I guess that answers any questions I had about using a canvas storage tent, I never thought about the freezing rain.

I hope everyone's equipment that was inside fairs well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

You can keep Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Florida, no snow, no damage.
Greetings All. I would rather have the snow than live in Florida. I went to flight school in Pensacola and spent 12 months there and that was the last time I ever wanted to be in FL. Happy camping.
Regards nm1oqrz