Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Snowbirding in a truck camper

Soooo anybody doing this? We have a 3000 series 10.5 ft Bigfoot camper, no slide. All set up for boondocking if required, that is how we flow. We plan on travelling south during the cold Canadian winters. Also plan on towing a small enclosed trailer, for bbq, bikes, maybe a small scooter. Anyway, anybody on here full time in a TC? The longest we have camped in ours is two weeks, we currently still work. Be honest, if you could would you get a trailer?

Thanks
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #2

The last camper we had was a '92 11.5' Caribou. We bought it in '93 from a rather "rotund" couple who had retired and decided to spend the winter in the camper at Quartzite, AZ. Somewhere in the middle of this adventure they decided to go back home to Portland, OR and sell the camper. It didn't work for them, but it could work for someone else. In my opinion, it depends on the people.

We bought the camper soon after they put it up for sale and had it until just a few years ago when we bought a 26' class A Flair. The Caribou had AC and a built in gen. that we had previously decided was mandatory after spending some time in the south with our previous camper without those comforts.

We decided against full timing after we both retired in the mid '90's, but made a coast to coast trip with the camper just about every year we had it along with spending 1.5 months in AK. We often spent 1-2 months at a time in it. For us the camper was a vehicle to take us from one activity to another and provide a place to cook, shower, and sleep while we were there, and while we were traveling. We didn't actually live in it, but were away from it doing whatever we were there for during the daylight hours. While not full timing, I can't think of any of the time we spent in it as being unpleasant, we loved it.

I would not want a trailer because that would preclude towing anything else. We often towed a boat, bike trailer, toad, and other things behind the camper.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #3

We have a Northstar so smaller than your Big Foot, but also have a fifth wheel. We have stayed in our camper as long as three months, but that is when we are moving around. When we stay put in the winter in Florida, we use our fifth. Different rigs depending on our agenda.

If just going South and staying put we would suggest a trailer or fifth wheel. Even in South Florida we still catch a number of days when we are stuck inside and having room to stretch out and move around is much nicer. I know folks full time in TCs, but that would not be us.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

It all depends on you, if you think you can do it then try it. We met a elderly couple from Quebec in FL a couple of years ago and they would stay for 3 months in a converted van moving every month to a different cg. They did fine, even walked on rainy days w/rain gear.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

We just completed a 6000 mile 3-week trip in our truck camper. It is comfortable for us since we went with the largest model. I tow a large enclosed trailer behind us for toys or additional vehicles, but this time used it to clear out an estate of furniture and personal items.

At this point, we do not plan to full time once I stop working but will take longer duration trips with less time constraints once I retire. It may be time for a refresh of vehicles around retirement, so we will see where our interests and health take us at that point.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #6

Thanks, we also have a fiver, currently set up at the lake, for at least three more summers, but like the convenience and manueverability of TC. Obviously getting crappy weather for long would suck, lol. I guess we will find out what it is really like when we go to Alaska and Yukon in a couple of years. I like it because I can drive too.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
laj

while i don’t full time in mine i have spent a few weeks in it, didn’t bother me a bit. all depends how much you like being with the person your with, if any. i like the freedom of choice.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
We just completed a 6000 mile 3-week trip in our truck camper. It is comfortable for us since we went with the largest model. I tow a large enclosed trailer behind us for toys or additional vehicles, but this time used it to clear out an estate of furniture and personal items.

At this point, we do not plan to full time once I stop working but will take longer duration trips with less time constraints once I retire. It may be time for a refresh of vehicles around retirement, so we will see where our interests and health take us at that point.
The two weeks we did was January 2018, went to Parker , AZ to meet with friends, 5000km round trip, and it was fine, and it was in a slightly smaller Bigfoot, lol. I guess we won't know until we travel for longer, Alaska will be the test I think.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirose View Post
The two weeks we did was January 2018, went to Parker , AZ to meet with friends, 5000km round trip, and it was fine, and it was in a slightly smaller Bigfoot, lol. I guess we won't know until we travel for longer, Alaska will be the test I think.

You must be concerned or you wouldn't be asking.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Our RV park accepts truck campers. They will not let you unload the camper for extended stays. The camper must remain on the truck. We are in the Yuma area.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #11

Just a thought, but we pulled a toad behind our TC for the last 15 or 20 years we had it.

I never liked walking in it when it was only supported by jacks as the floor would flex and I was afraid that would damage it over time. It was also susceptible to being damaged by wind as already noted. Eventually, after using cement blocks at the corners and some other ways to "firm it up", I settled on 4 jack stands sitting on plywood squares (to keep them from sinking into the ground) with 4X4's resting on the tops of them and going all the way across the bottom of the camper at the front and back.

Our truck and camper were never separated except when at home, and at my mothers in WV, so the truck could be used for other purposes.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

Full timing TC

To get a feel for full timing in your TC , there is a couple on YouTube that have been full timing in their TC for the last couple years . Their blog on YouTube is DestinationOpenRoad . Their entire library of videos is available , covering just about every thing you would experience living in your TC.
They're having a great time and I think you will too ! Have fun and be Safe.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote