Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

Starcraft Rebuild

My wife and I have a 2000 starcraft field and stream edition tc. When we bought it used it had some water damage inside but it was minimal. We have enjoyed it for years and the time has come to rebuild it.

At first I thought it was going to be a quick install of a new roof. Unfortunately we are not so lucky. It appears the trim between the top and sides as well as possibly the screw holes for the roof luggage rack have been leaking.

New plan is to remove all the exterior siding (done) and roof (1/2 done) We will be replacing the existing wooden ply and filon siding with a product call alupanel. I had a small piece that I used pl premium and fastened it to a scrap piece of aluminum about a year back. I have left it out in all kinds of weather and just cannot get them to separate.

I have lots of pictures if the disassembly process that I will post up soon.

For now if anyone has any words of caution I would appreciate it before I get too far into this. Even though it is fully stripped so I am now committed

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking forward to watching the progress

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Having just spent all my spare time this past summer rehabbing a water-damaged Bigfoot 3000, all I can say is to be ready for a marathon project. Good luck, and don't lose your momentum.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

I expected the worst and have met my match. I am really surprised at how little hold these campers together. The anchor points for the tie downs are a joke. Is there that much pressure on the top that the tie downs dont do much.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	111150

Name:	IMG_2830.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	111151
Old 11-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Will enjoy following the restoration.

Try to keep us up with the work. Perhaps you will get some suggestions or tips that will make it more enjoyable.

While the roof, etc is off I would consider rewiring and installing LED lights. While I had the roof off of our 5er I installed a couple more light circuits as well as dimmable LED. Made a big difference over the standard lights.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

Great idea Gordon, thats the kind of things I need. Here is where I am at now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	111152  
Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Still tearing into this instead of fixin. The chipboard that was under the couch on the right side was pretty swollen. Today I was able to remove it from under couch,fridge and propane tank storage area. Replacing with 1/2" plywood. Once its together the ply will get textured fiberglass that is used for walls in showers glued to it. Should outlast me.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Been thinking about things and wonder if you would want a power outlet or two on the outside. I would have at least one switched from inside just because I could.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

Yes, an outlet under the right side window would work great. I am toying with the idea of adding weatherproof speakers on the side as well
Old 11-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
That would work right along with some flood lights to light the patio and entrance.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #12

Had a friend over this morning and we formed the nose pice. Turned out very nice. Pics soon. Originally the front nose had anout 3/8" of paper (?) This was covered in fiberglass. When I took the fiberglass off the paper was soaked. Paper came off in sheets like newspaper
Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

Here we are starting to form the new nose cone. No progress since last week, hopefully get some done tomorrow before the Nascar race
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1856.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	112454  
Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #14

Been a little busy lately but found time the other day to finally start attaching the side panels after dry fitting/ I used PL Premium adhesive. I did a test about a year back and glued a piece of the new siding to a piece of scrap aluminum I had laying around. Left it outside in all seasons. Still holding very strong. Tried peeling it off and no hope.

I put the adhesive on the panel with about 4" between the lines. I also applied itonto all the aluminum framework on camper. I used stainless screws where the trim will cover them and then put ratchet straps with 2X4's to apply pressure where the vertical framing was

It has sat up overnight, time to remove the straps and move on.

Quick question for those who have replaced windows and such on a camper. Is the rolls of putty the best for applying before installing the windows permanently?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1908.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	115015